If you could compare guitars and cars... - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2004, 05:37 AM Thread Starter

If you could compare guitars and cars...

What car-brand would you compare Ibanez, Fender, Gibson, and all the others with?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2004, 05:51 AM

JEM10TH -> Rolls Royce

Ibanez overall would more be like a speedy car to me, Fender symbolizes a cadillac and Gibson a big fat truck. Or is that just me?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2004, 07:50 AM

It's harder to align entire brands, but i can draw some comparisions with specific models.

To me, the JEMs are like the last-generation Lamborghini Countach. Built for performance, but the styling kinda got out of hand, with too many wings, fender flares and vents punched in the body.

Strats are like an old Datsun pickup truck. Built for utility, but easily souped-up to race across Baja. They take a beating and never die.

The Les Paul... hmm... Maybe more of a late '70s Ford Thunderbird. A little bloated and overweight, and kinda strayed from the original design goal, but riding on the success of the name.

PRS is sort of like a Corvette. Young guys like 'em because they're great performers and can look pretty hot. Older guys like 'em because they're in their midlife crisis mode, have too much money, and think that buying one will make them popular with the ladies.

Steinberger is like classic Porsche to me. They're highly engineered, and they single-mindedly stick to their principles, no matter how "out there" their ideas are.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2004, 09:04 AM

I'd answer that question, if only I could stop buying guitars and buy a car so as to get some firsthand experience with one.

-D
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2004, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren wilson
It's harder to align entire brands, but i can draw some comparisions with specific models.

To me, the JEMs are like the last-generation Lamborghini Countach. Built for performance, but the styling kinda got out of hand, with too many wings, fender flares and vents punched in the body.

Strats are like an old Datsun pickup truck. Built for utility, but easily souped-up to race across Baja. They take a beating and never die.

The Les Paul... hmm... Maybe more of a late '70s Ford Thunderbird. A little bloated and overweight, and kinda strayed from the original design goal, but riding on the success of the name.

PRS is sort of like a Corvette. Young guys like 'em because they're great performers and can look pretty hot. Older guys like 'em because they're in their midlife crisis mode, have too much money, and think that buying one will make them popular with the ladies.

Steinberger is like classic Porsche to me. They're highly engineered, and they single-mindedly stick to their principles, no matter how "out there" their ideas are.
This could be the coolest post I've ever read LOL!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2004, 11:33 AM

Darren,
I enjoyed your post, but I must disagree with your Les Paul analogy. Have you both driven a late 70's T-bird and played a Les Paul? Not much/any similarity there. LP's are fat and heavy (in a good sense), but mine have played brilliantly. Not an axe that i would bring to a drag race, but more like something I would take a nice long drive with. I would liken the LP custom to a Mercedes S-class, or a Bently/Rolls. The standard LP is more like a Mercedes E-class.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2004, 12:16 PM

What i meant by the T-Bird comparison was that the Thunderbird was conceived as a sporty touring car, and it evolved into a big, heavy luxury barge. I think the Les Paul definitely fits that description, but could be tuned to be a bit more sporty. Maybe the Mercedes S-Class or is a good comparison, but i wouldn't give the Les Paul that much credit. Maybe a Cadillac Eldorado.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2004, 12:25 PM

I have always comapred the Ibanez JEM in general to the Lamborghini Countach. I really think it's the Countach of guitars no doubt about that. I get the same feelings whenever I see one or the other. It looks like it's always "going" even when it's standing still. It's very bold and sporty, yet very elegant and mystical at the same time. The universe would probably be compared to the Lamborghini Diablo.

The only thing is, is that the Jem is much more practical and versatile of a guitar than a Countach is as an automobile.

Mike 777 Haug
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2004, 12:32 PM

That aspect of the analogy (sporty to barge) was certainly not lost on me, as I agree. The Rolls/Bently comparo is probably shooting a little too high, at least for a stock LP. I do liken my LP standard to my E-class however. Heavy, sturdy, predictable, safe, reliable, comfortable, looks good, runs well, but not terribly expressive.

Actually, the El Dorado analogy works well for me. American - made "luxury".

In a little over a year I'll be able to compare my JEM to a C6 Vette...
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2004, 02:19 PM

I once played an el cheapo POS "budget" guitar - it reminded me of one of those cars that clowns drive, you know: the ones that fall apart in mid motion. Where do clowns buy those from anyway? And is there some kind of special clown insurance?
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2004, 02:41 PM

My first guitar was a "Montoya" Strat copy. It cost $25. It played and sounded like a $25 guitar, too. It had these oversized single coil pu's - not quite like a P90, it had this funky trebly inherent eq spike at about 800 -1000khz. I wish I still had it though...just because.

My first car was a 1974 Pontiac Catalina station wagon, it didn't cost much more than the guitar. It came complete with a faux wood paneling exterior - real chick magnet! It had a 400 cu in. V8 - 4 barrel carb, that I wish I had in my current ride...
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2004, 05:30 PM

hmmm...just thought: are we all buying these hyper exotic Jems because of inadequacy in other areas of our manhood? Nothing overcompensates like a monkey grip.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-13-2004, 05:31 PM

Ah Hamand, straight back into the gutter!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-14-2004, 12:54 AM

Fender - Ford

Gibson - Chevy

Ibanez - Mitsubishi

:P

Tags
darren wilson , ibanez jem , les paul , monkey grip

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode