I'm back in the Mesa Family - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

I'm back in the Mesa Family

Hey All,

I just snagged a Roadster combo for a gently 1,000 bucks off of craigs list in mint condition. I think this puppy is pretty much new with its retained warranty on it.

I've already grabbed a TC Flashback and a BB Preamp (which I'm returning today to grab the BB Comp I didn't know about). Thing sounds mean and I can't wait to lose myself in the endless tones and options.

Is there any Mesa love on this board? Love to pair up with some others here to chat about these amps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20121202_192523.jpg (88.3 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 09:15 AM

Re: I'm back in the Mesa Family

an outstanding amp at a killer price. Congrats.

I had a single recto for awhile as well as a mesa mark III and mesa DC-2 studio cal. I love mesa though. I hope to pick one up in the near future. I would kill for a roadster at a 1000.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVsakeN View Post
Is there any Mesa love on this board? Love to pair up with some others here to chat about these amps.
Stiletto Deuce Stage II

I used to own a TriAxis/2:90, but compressed preamps and stereo power-amps are not my thing anymore.
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 12:58 PM

Reviews: 59

I've gotta DC-5 and Rocket 44 and love them. Don't get to play them nearly enough but love me some Mesa.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 04:06 PM

I just got a Roadster head! I have already started switching out tubes. Not happy with the sounds yet but I need to try some boost pedals. The Xotic BB preamp, Fullton OCD and Maxon 808 are on my list.
What did you not like about the BB?
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 05:11 PM

Reviews: 2

I got a recto 2x12 cab and used to have a f30 combo. The recto 2x12 is awesome the f30 was decent. And I like some of their other stuff like the lonestar special.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 09:55 AM

Reviews: 130

Had a Mark V Combo and sold it fairly quickly. I'm more of a Marshall guy. YMMV.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVsakeN View Post
Not much, but some - I own a Roadster head and Recto Standard 4x12. Killer amp - pound for pound one of the best I've ever played, possibly the best. It doesn't get quite as smooth as a Mark, but it crunches with a clearer low end to make up for it (though, the V gets close), and it's stupidly flexible. They have this reputation as only being good for chugging, but barring perhaps Tom Wait-y sort of noise based stuff where you want a really lo-fi garbage-y guitar tone, I haven't found a genre yet that this thing couldn't handle. It's an ostentatiously "metal" amp that is just as at home playing SRV or Floyd stuff.

Long story short, congrats on a great amp!
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 11:24 PM

I have a Mesa Triaxis with Mesa 2:90 and a Recto 4x12 with V30. I had the Triaxis since 2000 and it is still going on strong. This is a very versatile amp and I only used at about 30% of it capabilities.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 11:46 PM

I have Roadster 2x12 Combo as well. It's an incredible amp! I agree about the comment made regarding versatility; there is nothing this amp can't do. I have never owned an amp that responded so clearly to small changes in the tone and gain controls. Most of all, I like how all 4 channels are genuinely usable. Nothing is wasted on this amp.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 11:21 AM

How do you guys set yours? I generally do Ch1 Clean or Fat, occasionally Tweed when I'm in the mood, Ch2 Brit for messing around with and as an alternate rhythm sound (I don't even really need this channel - it's just nice to have), Ch3 Vintage as my main lead sound, and Ch4 Modern as my main rhythm sound. I suspect this isn't that unusual, though my lead settings are probably a bit darker and smoother than most.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
How do you guys set yours? I generally do Ch1 Clean or Fat, occasionally Tweed when I'm in the mood, Ch2 Brit for messing around with and as an alternate rhythm sound (I don't even really need this channel - it's just nice to have), Ch3 Vintage as my main lead sound, and Ch4 Modern as my main rhythm sound. I suspect this isn't that unusual, though my lead settings are probably a bit darker and smoother than most.
The only thing I wasn't happy to discover (maybe it will be a good thing with more time with it) is that channels 3 and 4 are not mirrors of each other. I also couldn't quite get the harmonics I wanted until I turned the gain back from 11-12 on channel three and slammed a BB Preamp up front. That = yum to my ears and the tone seems way more open and talks to me better.

I've found myself pretty much using the channels the way you do so far (and I love fat mode), but I wish the presence could be dialed back on 3 the same way 4 is set up.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Given To Fly View Post
I have Roadster 2x12 Combo as well. It's an incredible amp! I agree about the comment made regarding versatility; there is nothing this amp can't do. I have never owned an amp that responded so clearly to small changes in the tone and gain controls. Most of all, I like how all 4 channels are genuinely usable. Nothing is wasted on this amp.
Agreed. Can't wait to really spend more time with it and crank this puppy up.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 05:19 PM

I've currenty got a Mesa F50 combo. Really love the absolutly killer clean tone on it. I'm on the big save for a Mark V at the moment. Will buy as Head and 2x12 cab as it'll be easier to transport and I can change cab options if I want to easily. Have played a friends Duel Rec a lot but feel the Mark V is more the sort of sound i'm after. Nothing wrong with the duel rec mind. I'm yet to hear a poor mesa product

Any of you guys bought one of the new peddles yet?
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanitarium View Post
I've currenty got a Mesa F50 combo. Really love the absolutly killer clean tone on it. I'm on the big save for a Mark V at the moment. Will buy as Head and 2x12 cab as it'll be easier to transport and I can change cab options if I want to easily. Have played a friends Duel Rec a lot but feel the Mark V is more the sort of sound i'm after. Nothing wrong with the duel rec mind. I'm yet to hear a poor mesa product

Any of you guys bought one of the new peddles yet?
I saw those new pedals when I was picking up my BB Preamp. TO not drive myself gear crazy I closed my eyes and got outta there with the BB. I'd love to try out a Mark series, but trying to be happy with the Roadster if I can. Its just endless =).

Tags
bb preamp , mesa , roadster , tc flashback

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode