Im pretty sold on a Triamp, but.... - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2003, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Im pretty sold on a Triamp, but....

Okay...so I went to this hole in the wall high-end amp shop about an hour away to try the Hughes and Kettner Triamp.....i really love it. It has pretty much everything i could really want in an amp (without having a ton of features ill never use). However, like Drew said in my other thread related to the triamp, it is VERY british...pretty much like an ideal marshall. Thats really great for most things that ill be using it for, but i really dig a heavy, more Mesa like tone.

Basiclly, im asking all you guys for suggestions on a pedal that could do that for me. Price range is prolly gonna be $250. Something really balanced, nice sustain, well rounded, and can get really heavy...pretty much as close to a recto tone as you can get without dropping $1400 to get another head. I have never tried the Mesa pedasl...will that get me into that range? ANY suggestions are great, cause ive never used overdrive pedals before!

You guys all rock....keep it up

-Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2003, 06:41 PM

RA- out of curiousity, where's this shop? I'm not THAT far from Lowell, and if it's only an hour away from you, it might be worth checking out...

I haven't played one of the Mesa pedals yet, but i've heard good things about them. I'd recommend giving one a try through the Triamp first, though, as a good chunk of the mesa tone comes from the poweramp, too- IMO, at least, that's where you get a lot of the massive depth that characterizes the Rectifier sound.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2003, 06:43 PM

Of course, the other thing you could do is look for a used TSL (i know vwall's selling one for $1000 shipped right now) and a used Single Recto head, and just get an A/B box to switch between the two... for around 2 grand you could probably get a bi-amped system going with the absolute ebst of both worlds...

-Drew
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2003, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for posting again Drew. Oddly enough, i go to UVM (im assuming you go to Middlebury, or maybe you go to school in MA), though im taking the semester off. And we have the similiar names and all, and dig Ibanez....kinda weird but also kinda cool.

The amp shop is in Brockton....Boston Guitar Works. http://www.bostonguitar.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv. Like I said, its a hole in the wall shop, but they do have some cool stuff...All kinds of highend/botique amps, tons of vintage and highend gear, a pretty nice assortment of guitars. If your in the market for highend stuff and are pretty close, its at least worth a look. And the guy that owns it (never caught his name) was pretty chill.

As for the suggestion about A/Bing a recto and a TSL...like i said, my heart is pretty set on the Triamp. For the most part, i really love the british, marshally sound, especially when its done right as is the case with this amp. I know im prolly not going to get and exact recto tone by using a pedal through something like the Triamp...but if i want to get away from that sound and somewhat into the rectifier territory, i need a pedal that can do that pretty well.

Thanks again....and if anyone else has suggestions on pedals (or has tried a Mesa Pedal through a H&K or Marshall), please tell me what you think!

-Andy
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2003, 09:08 PM

No crap... i've got a friend or two up there. And yeah, i'm at midd. I've been meaning to go up to Advance Music and that little tiny shop just off Church street with all those mesa's for a while now.. kinda a sketchy place, but they have some cool gear.

Anyway, enough hijacking of this thread for now...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2003, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Thats pretty crazy....advance is a pretty nice, fairly large shop with a pretty good selection of guitars and stuff. The other shop your talking about, Caliopees(prolly spelled it wrong, you know what I mean though), is actually pretty cool...nice mesa gear, some PRSs, nice used stuff. Its worth the trip for sure...downtown burlington is a pretty rocking time
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2003, 02:23 AM

yeah, that looks approximately right... it's an odd place, but they definately cater more to "high end" gear than advance does, IMO.

Hey, if you ever see a guy in there with bleached blond hair and a 7-string playing bad shred licks, odds are that's me.

-Drew

EDIT- strangely enough, i bought my first ibanez there, a hideous-in-a-good-way metallic green RG-470DX. as far as ibanez's go, it's not much of a guitar, and it's since been sold, but it started a long and expensive love affair...
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2003, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Thats killer man.....I will be up there a few times to visit my suite(everyone in it plays guitar, which is pretty killer) and take care of some "vermont" biz(hehe)...prehaps we can jam? I love all kinds of music, but there is not real shred scene that I could easily find...what year are you, btw?

If anyone has opinions on the Mesa Bottle Rocket Pedal or V-Twin Preamp, any Boss, MXR or Big Muff Pedals(in additon to any other brands) that could land me the tone im looking for, I would love to here what you have to say about them

Good Thredin, Keep Shredin

-Andrew
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2003, 03:58 PM

haha, possibly, i'll be tied up with comprehensive exams through the end of january, but after that i'll have some downtime... i'm a senior. Drop me a line when you think you'll be around, and we'll see.

And there really IS no VT shred scene... it's kinda sad, but at least you really stand out by comparison if you're even trying, lol.

-Drew

Tags
kettner triamp , overdrive pedal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode