Inexpensive practice rig - AX3G, RP100A or G2? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Inexpensive practice rig - AX3G, RP100A or G2?

Hi everybody -

Looking to pick up something for lat night practicing thru pc speakers or headphones. Want to keep it under $100 if possible. Looking at the following:
Korg AX3G
Zoom G2
Digitech RP100A

Which would you go for?

Thanks

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 02:56 PM

Re: Inexpensive practice rig - AX3G, RP100A or G2?

I like the G2, but I didn't compare it to those others, so maybe that's a small data point.

Also consider the Behringer X-Vamp - it's at the $70 level, and has an expression pedal. I have no experience with it, but I have a V-Amp2, which is a great $100 unit - and also worthy of consideration.

I'm not helping much, am I?
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JESTER700 View Post
I like the G2, but I didn't compare it to those others, so maybe that's a small data point.

Also consider the Behringer X-Vamp - it's at the $70 level, and has an expression pedal. I have no experience with it, but I have a V-Amp2, which is a great $100 unit - and also worthy of consideration.

I'm not helping much, am I?

x2 on the Vamp2
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 05:56 PM
rgr

For headphone practicing you'll want something with built in drum tracks. Don't know much about any of those units, I have a Pandora that I bought as a demo for around $100, it's okay, glad I didn't pay $200 for it.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 06:08 PM

I suggest you get the Korg Pandora PX4D ($170 new). It has 100 rhythm and bass patterns if that is what your looking for in a small package. Just my 2cents!
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 06:23 PM

The V-Amp2 does NOT have drum tracks, but the Zoom G2 has some basic drum patterns (but no AUX-IN to play along with an MP3 player, which the V-Amp2 does). My Zoom PS-02 actually has both of these, AND records to smart media, AND is tiny to boot. Too bad the modeling sucks...

Last edited by JESTER700; 08-05-2006 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Spelling
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 06:47 PM

The V-Amp 2 is great. You can always run stuff from the computer into it and play along. Just like what Jester said. Get a Behringer tube mic pre as well if you can. It livens it up a lot.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 06:54 PM

zoom = crap.. Im sorry I have owned there cheapos to the highend g9.2tt and it was the worst sounding equipment ever. Now this is my opinion not fact.

Korg = right behind zoom as far as quality and tone

Behringer = extremely useful and 2nd best tone out of the modelers... Why do you need drum machines and crappy bass lines when sites like www.guitarbt.com exist.. Why play over some retarded 12 bar blues when you can rock out with a full blues band backing track.

Line6 = Champion of modelers the PodXT gets alot of crap from people but if you sit and play and dig deep into the modeling its fantastic. I posted some clips in a different thread with some pod tones that would get ya guessing if its modeled or real. But its more than you want to spend.

So in closing this is my opinion, some/most will of course disagree but I dare soemone to find a more accurate modeling or amount of versatility then a PodXT

Also I know the budget is tight and us musicians want instant gratification, but american music supply offers a 3 payment plan regardless of credit. You give them a valid credit/debit card and they will charge it once every 30 days for 1/3 the amount and its shipped that day.. Its helped me tremendously in getting gear. I cant chunk down $300 at one time but I can do $100 a month for 3 months.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 07:18 PM

Reviews: 120

I've just picked up a Zoom G7.1ut after demoing at home for a few days and I quite like it. It's pretty close to my old setup in terms of distortion and I think I'll be able to take it much further in terms of good tone. I've only really played solid state gear with distortion pedals so I'm pretty happy with what I've got now.

You've really got to go and try out all the gear you are thinking of and see if you like it. Everyone has their own opinion of tone.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 07:29 PM

Opinions on modelers vary wildly. But though I was never a fan of the sound my older Zoom gear (505, PS-02, MRS-, I think they really improved on the G series and are now right in the running with the competitors (though I like my GNX3000 best overall). It'll be nice when the new chip is included in a new line of recorders.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for their advice/input.

I went ahead and picked up the korg ax3g. Tested it out at home thru 2 different sets of computer speakers. The smaller speaker size made every sound sound fizzy. Moving to slightly larger speakers fixed this though.

Now for first impressions after playing for 2 hours. It is very easy to use and set up sounds. I was initially worried as it didn't have many "up front" knobs but it is pretty simple to use and get use to. Now I was able to dial up decent sounding clean sounds and distorted sounds with every type of modulation (short/long delay, pitch shift): sounds good to me. The only thing I noticed and didn't like was, even though I could dial in decent distorted sounds, these sounds were based on the 2 drive models - metal and shred. The amp models, distorted ones (UK 80s, UK Modern, US Modern) blow. So I a just a little disappointed in that I'm only using 2 of the available distorted sounds, and they are not even amp models.
So I will try it this whole week and see if i really like or if it is just the "honeymoon" phase.

As for the other suggestions -
-I have and sold a podxt. I didn't like it in the sense that the distorted sounds to me were all fizzy and i could never dial it out. Also, it didn't feel right. There was a delay between what i was playing and what i was hearing and this drove me crazy. The korg ax3g on the other hand, does not have these problems.
-Tried the v-amp2 and didn't like it.
-Pandora, i want something that has a footswitch built in.
-magicstomp, never tried but from what i gather it is not great in the distored realm. Also, i do not want to use a pc for (deep)editing.

So, i wonder if the amp models (mesa, marshall, soldano?) on the zoom g2 or rp100a are better than the ax3g's (should be as i hate the ones on the korg ax3g)?

Thanks everyone,

Jeff
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-05-2006, 11:05 PM

hope ya like the korg..

the podxt fizziness thing is most of the time people over use the distortion settings. I have seen it a 1000 times. You dont have to crank them to 11 to get good tone, the other problem is people never do any research on the amp(s) that are modeled..

For instance the Bogner Uberschall is amazing and the presence control on the XT just like the real thing will totally alter its tone in more than just presense.

Some of the Fenders didnt come with Mid controls so you have to keep it at 5 to simulate it properly etc etc.

I love the podxt its incredibly versatile. If and only IF you use it to its potential if your the kinda guy that cranks the gain to 11 boosts the bass, scoops the mids, and boosts the highs kinda person look elsewhere.

Jclogston none of the above is directed at you just speaking
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Hi everybody -

So played around with the korg ax3g somemore today. I am able to get decent clean (acoustic) sounds, and rock lead solos w/ delay, autowah, pitch. However i cannot get a nice metal sound, think along the lines of metallica, testament, anthrax.
So i think i will return it as this is the type of music i play these days.
So down to the zoom and the digitech. Can these get those sounds i'm looking for?

Thanks

Jeff
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 06:50 PM

Reviews: 6

I had technical dificulties with thetube preamp rigs that I used at my last band practice and substituted my G2.1u into a power amp and cab. It worked fine in a pinch.

Last edited by Robotechnology; 08-07-2006 at 07:19 PM.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 08:36 PM

I've been looking at the V-amp pro every since I say a video of JimmyJ using one. They are highly recommended at half the price of the Pod. Seen them a couple places for around $150.

Tags
amp tone , backing track , bogner uberschall , distortion pedal , drum tracks , expression pedal , guitar port , power amp , tube preamp , versatile amp , vox valvetronix

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode