Ive got my studio planned, need "proof readers" - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Gex

Ive got my studio planned, need "proof readers"

Alright.

This is what I have planned for my studio, so I can start recording. I need to know if this will work (well) before I drop some cash on it.

Microphones (Shure SM57's, ect)

Plugged into:
Audio Centron AC-116 16-channel mixer:

And that piped into:

M-Audio Firewire Interface 410
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...e410-main.html

Into:

New PC or Mac (still haven't decided) with firewire port, loads of memory and harddrive space, and a good soundcard.

Does that cover it? Im a recording noob.

I just want to make sure that this will all work well, so I'm asking you to check over it and make sure that its all in-order. If you see for forsee any problems, let me know!

Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 02:36 AM

Re: Ive got my studio planned, need "proof readers"

Don't expect that mixer into a firewire card to give you 16 input devices on the computer. If that's what you're wanting to do, it isn't going to work. If you're wanting to do all your mixing through the mixer into a stereo input on the computer, then you can do that without the mixer.
I'm not knowledgable with that mixer, though, so I'm only assuming that it only has stereo output.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 10:25 AM

Reviews: 2

What is your goals and budget with this new studio? DO you want to track 16 different inputs at the same time or are you just planning on recording yourself? There are other much better options depending on what you want to spend. WHat recording software do you want to use? check out www.sweetwater.com for different options.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 11:35 AM

the mixer looks like it has an insert per channel. you can actually use the insert as a direct out to interface to a sound card depending on available inputs. to get the best bang for your buck, i tout the m-audio delta 1010lt. which is PCI instead of firewire. it has 8 analog channels i/o. 2 digital sp/dif ins. if you were so inclined, the delta 1010lt can chain giving you full use of your 16 channel mixer(granted the inserts are condusive). as far as the firewire 410, well, it only gives you stereo(2) inputs. for just a little more money, you get 8 with the delta 1010. now, if you won't be recording many tracks at a time, sure 2 in no problem, its just things like drums and multiple instrument scratch tracks that will necessitate more tracks(live band).

rich
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Gex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanut
What is your goals and budget with this new studio? DO you want to track 16 different inputs at the same time or are you just planning on recording yourself? There are other much better options depending on what you want to spend. WHat recording software do you want to use? check out www.sweetwater.com for different options.

Goals?

I want a simple, but great sounding studio.

I dont need loads of funtions, I just need a way to efficiently get the sound of either 1 microphone or several (8 max, I guess) microphones in unison (like if I were double-micing my amp so I could balance between the microphones to get a unique reproduction of frequencies, or if Im recording a drum part I need overhead and bass drum mics all working in unison)

And I need for that to transpose the sounds that the microphones pick up accurately and cleanly to digital, where I can easily cut, paste, edit, synch the soundclips I make and create my music like that.

I played around at a Mac store on their G5 I think, with the keyboard hooked up and the huge screen. I really really like Garageband, its very simple. If I could have a way to have a Mac with a Garageband, and an accurate way to get the sounds from 1-8 microphones onto the computer, I think I would be in home recording heaven.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Gex

Quote:
Originally Posted by rty13ibz98
the mixer looks like it has an insert per channel. you can actually use the insert as a direct out to interface to a sound card depending on available inputs. to get the best bang for your buck, i tout the m-audio delta 1010lt. which is PCI instead of firewire. it has 8 analog channels i/o. 2 digital sp/dif ins. if you were so inclined, the delta 1010lt can chain giving you full use of your 16 channel mixer(granted the inserts are condusive). as far as the firewire 410, well, it only gives you stereo(2) inputs. for just a little more money, you get 8 with the delta 1010. now, if you won't be recording many tracks at a time, sure 2 in no problem, its just things like drums and multiple instrument scratch tracks that will necessitate more tracks(live band).

rich
This sounds very interesting, and appealing.

Some close ups. That has the "Insert" you speak of, right?
Do you know, from the pics provided, if your PCI interface would work with this mixer board? I like that idea, just Mic-> Mixer -> PC.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gex
Goals?

I want a simple, but great sounding studio.
I agree. Simple is nice.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 12:52 PM

Id sell the mixer for now and get an Maudio pro tools compatable interface. The G5 will work great. Pro Tools LE has a 24 track mixer in it. Look for a 8 input interface. You can find a great pair of monitors too for play back . Youre going to need a few mics. Depending on your budget you can find decent mics. SM 57 for guitar cabinet and for drums you'll need minimum 3 mics. 2 overhead and a good kick drum mic unless you going to use loops or samples.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Gex

My Microphone. . .a Shure SM57

LOL!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Gex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanut
Id sell the mixer for now and get an Maudio pro tools compatable interface. The G5 will work great. Pro Tools LE has a 24 track mixer in it. Look for a 8 input interface. You can find a great pair of monitors too for play back . Youre going to need a few mics. Depending on your budget you can find decent mics. SM 57 for guitar cabinet and for drums you'll need minimum 3 mics. 2 overhead and a good kick drum mic unless you going to use loops or samples.
Ok, I found an 8-input interface that looks very promising:

PreSonus Firepod:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Firepod/

I really like the looks of that. . .8 XLR inputs there right on the front. Soundclips sound great! Good reviews. It says it comes with CUBASE, any good? Chassis-mounted jacks, not circuitboard mounted. Looks tough and simple.

One of the reviewers says it will work with Garageband, and works with Macs really well. I'm fairly sure a Mac G5 is in my near future, so I will already have Garageband. I have Cool Edit Pro on my computer right now, and it drives me nuts, I was blown away by Garageband's simple usablity. (is that a word?)

I'm glad I didnt just go buy that 410 now. . .I think this could be a much better unit.

Last edited by Gex; 06-18-2006 at 06:30 PM.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 10:38 AM

the firepod is a great unit. already has your pres in it.

rich
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 11:21 AM

PreSOnus makes great gear. I'd go with that. Garageband is an entry level program. I prefer Pro Tools but Cubase is a good program too. Its the watered down version of Nuendo which is a professional studio used program
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 11:42 AM

For do-it-all-yourself recording one or two tracks at a time, you just need a good PC & software, a good interface, and good mics. The only mic I've seen mentioned so far is an SM57, and though that's a good one for miking a guitar amp, if you do vocals & acoustic instruments, you'll want a condensor. Preferably both a large & a small diaphragm model, but you can get away with just one (large if you do vocals, small if you don't).

Also, what about monitors? You ca't make good judgements on crappy speakers.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Gex

Alright, good looking.

I'll probably go with the PreSonus Firepod.

Then I'll look into some monitors and some condensors, and eventually that Macintosh.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 11:44 AM

when you get that MAC also get a seperate hard drive for the audio files. Store them there so they dont take up the MACS HD space.

Tags
audio delta , audio firewire , bass drum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode