Jammit? Anyone tried this app? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 4
Jammit? Anyone tried this app?

It isn't available for Android yet (dangit!) but this looks pretty interesting and I might just buy it for my PC.

I did a search and it came up empty. Seems odd that no one would review it here.

The main selling point to me seems to be that they're using the ORIGINAL tracks for once, instead of semi-decent copy bands doing a version.

And they seem to have a pretty nice selection of classics and shreddy-ish stuff to pick from.

The downside is that they seem to make you pay full price for each version of the tracks, so if you wanted the guitar, bass and drum versions for the same song, you're not getting any sort of deal. You think they'd knock SOMETHING off for you.

Anyone had occasion to try it out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 09:06 AM

Re: Jammit? Anyone tried this app?

Hi, I actually had a hand in the development of Jammit.

The app is actually free. At present there is an iOS version for iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad, an OSX version for Mac Laptops and Servers, and there is a new Windows Beta

The Apps are all free.

The content ( songs ) are what you pay for. It provides track separation / isolation, varispeed slowdown, looping, and tab and standard notation.

There is also an integration with Line6's Mod In unit so you can have amp modeled effects.

Definitely at least check it out since its free. You get free Demo songs to check out when you get the app

Good luck everyone ( its on Jammit.com or if you have Apple products, go through the App Store )
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 12:25 AM

So is it like the same thing you can get here for free?

http://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 09:48 AM

I think the key difference is the content. Jammit licenses the original master recordings in either original tape or digital form, retrieves these from the labels and remixes them in master form. The deep purple songs are really deep purple and Blackmore, the via is really via. With isolation
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 11:22 AM

This looks like just the thing I have been looking for. What is cool is they have tab for each song. You can have it loop whatever part of the song you want it to and slow it down while viewing the tab. You can leave the guitar in or take it out..actually any of the parts can be removed or left in. There are a lot of reviews at the Apple app store. Looks like it works with line 6 s modeling app too but that one is pretty pricey... Not sure what benefit it would have but it may be that they have all the settings for amp and effects set for you to sound like the guitar in the song. Thanks for sharing.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 11:24 AM

First time I noticed this, pricing seems fair.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 12:56 PM

The video here explains it best I've seen so far:
http://jammit.com/news/press-release...ence-ipad®-and

Seems the only complaints at the apple store is limited selection and cost per song.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 12:10 AM

The complaints about the cost of the songs often come from people who expect free music. Unfortunately, thats how things have evolved, people get mp3s for free and think that is ok.

This is really not simple mp3 content though. These are original high quality multi track audio masters and there's are synchronized with standard notation and tab notation. Additionally the varispeed slowdown requires programmatic syncro with the standard notation and tab.

In order to put out a Jammit song there is a production engineering process using the original masters (which costs in terms of Jammit engineers creating the Jammit formatted versions of the songs) and on top of that Jammit legally clears and licenses every single song that is currently released or is to be released in the future ( and that is in no way free ).

Before a song can be released in Jammit form, the original rights holders ( musicians and song writers ) and the publishers ( which vary from region to region ) must approve of the release of each song, and must also agree to terms ( of payment ) for each song sold.

The people who complain about the song price often do not understand the difference between the educational / entertainment rich value + high quality original master recording of a Jammit 2.99 priced song vs. a featureless mp3 1.49 version of a song.

OR

some simply aren't musicians and don't understand the product expecting to be able to use any mp3 and magically separate the tracks.

The great majority are satisfied though.

AND Chrisf - you are dead on correct with the Line 6 feature. It basically gives you patches so you sound like the original artist in terms of tone.

This can only get better and there are big plans in motion already.

iOS is really mature having been released in Sep last year. Mac OS X is very mature as well. Windows is beta and gets better each day.

I love the thing and use it daily in my run throughs. I hate the days when I don't have time though.

There are good example videos out there too, search for Vai Jammit on Youtube and you'll see it. Check them out because they show you some of the features discussed here with audio and a view of the app in operation.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 12:01 PM

thanks Ronimhoff for the detailed explanation. It seems you may work for the company? If so I'm assuming you all have plans for getting as much music as you can to work with this software or is there a limiting factor? I think the price is fair considering what you get to work with for a song. What I find really cool is you can single out the guitar part that is the original one from the original artist and you can here exactly how they played it without anything else playing. Really helps to develop the ear if you want to and not look at the tab or just to hear the exact way the guitarist played it.

The program is free and if you decide to buy a song that is all the cost you have except how you connect to the software with your instrument. The $80 line 6 connector is a little pricey IMO but it does have the modeling software along with the presets for the song itself.

BTW, the website is great at explaining how everything works. I'm just looking forward to them getting more songs I want to learn. I'm going to keep my eye on this and see how fast they add music and see what competition may come out of it.

Who would have ever guess just a few years ago but especially back in the 80s that you'd be able to do all this, and through a phone even! Back to the Future the movie missed it. I still haven't seen any hovering skateboards but if they would have showed me something like this in the movie it would have blown my mind even more. And Marty McFly did play guitar.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 10:16 PM

Yes, I've been involved for a few years now.

The only limiting factor is agreement from the rights holders. But there are already great relationships and everyone is working really hard to get as much content and as much variety ( genres ) in place as possible.

Its the coolest thing I've ever worked on that's for sure.

When I was in high school, I'd try to EQ out the lows on songs to isolate the solos better, but it was nothing like this beast.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-30-2013, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 4

I finally got around to getting some tracks. So far I've only bought a few bass tracks but I'll be buying some drum and guitar ones too.

I will have to be buying all of the drum ones from Rush, without question.

But so far, I'm having issues with my Windows Jammit player. I have thus far not gotten it to work at all.

The Mac OS version works perfectly, however. I cannot wait to get my PC issues sorted and have functionality on both. If I can get a cheap iPad I might get it just for the Line 6 Mobile interactivity, which looks to be awesome if it works as advertised (PRE-dialed in "amp" tones that change with whatever song you're playing).

It's really amazing to hear the bass track solo'd on Paul Gilbert's "Blowtorch". There are things going on I'd never hear otherwise.

I imagine I'll hear lots of interesting things on the drum and guitar tracks too.

It's not very expensive per song and I think this is going to be well worth the costs.

Last edited by Ekim; 01-30-2013 at 07:40 PM.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 11:02 AM

lol it's been a few years. What is up with jammit, is the site broke? they don't respond to customer service requests. I have no problem paying for the songs but a little customer support would be great.

Tags
apps , iphone , software

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode