JCM 800...how much? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-05-2003, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

JCM 800...how much?

I own a 20 years old JCM800 2203. It is a 50W head made in 1983.

I need a high gain amp, I don't know which one, but is it stupid to sell this old one. If I sell it what is it worth?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-06-2003, 01:34 PM

hmmmm tough questions, i just bought a JMP 2203 '78 Marshall 100w lead series and love it. I don't use it for ditortion. I get high gain out of floor pedals use the marshall as a power amp and boy does it have volume, craps all over my peavey 5150 II 120watt head.

So maybe concider keeping the head but purchase a distortion pedal or something. You have a great amp.

To sell it.......well i don't really know about Belgium but here in Australia they go for around $1200-$2000 Aus.

There is one for sale on ebay.com in the U.S. so watch that and see how much it goes for.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-06-2003, 01:35 PM

If you don't absolutely need to sell that one-I wouldn't, yet. If it's a 50-watt version then you actually have a 2204. The originals of tht amp plus the 2203 are still highly sought after in the used market for it's tone. Personally, I think you should see if any pedals or anything give you the gain you want without killing the tone from that lovely amp you have.

If you would still like a new amp, I'd suggest a DSL50 or 100 or perhaps even a TSL60.

Mike 777 Haug
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-29-2003, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

thanx!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2003, 03:08 PM

I would definitly keep it. They go for $800-$900 used in US dollars. I sold one about 6 months ago and I regret now.

That is the exact amp Zack Wylde uses (2203 actually not the 2204) and that marshall reissued for a short while with a price tag of like $2200 us. Its very collectable right now but there not very rare so the price isnt high yet but hang onto it.

Dave was right. One popular trick to get really nice saturated hi gain is to add a booster pedal. I just wrote this in another post too. TS9's, Boss DS1 and SP1 seem to be popular choices.

you dont get much more high gain then Ozzy.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2003, 03:10 PM

Ooops!! I meant Mike777 was right about his suggestion.

Tags
distortion pedal , high gain amp , power amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode