JCM2000...I think the tubes went.******* - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 12:56 AM Thread Starter

JCM2000...I think the tubes went.*******

I have had the amp for 2 or so years. I never really gig with it, But today while recording I saw that only 3 of my tubes are lighting up.

I switched tubes just to make sure the tube was at fault.It is.
Now, what tubes should I get? I am relatively cheap, but I would like a more full/heavier sound.

I pulled the power tube (I guess its a power tube) It says EL34 on it .

Any ideas/ prices?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 11:06 AM

JJ/Tesla EL34s seem to be popular around here.

www.thetubestore.com
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 02:01 PM

Agree.

And change the ECC tubes too !
Put some RFT tubes there !
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2003, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

What goes with changing tubes?

Just take out and put in?

Erm...No on tells me stuff
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 08:43 AM

Nope, not quite that easy...but almost.

I don't have a DSL, I have a TSL and on mine there is a three pin connector located just south of the power tubes. If the DSL has one you are in luck. You will need a digital multimeter and a very small screwdriver...like one you use to fix eye glasses or computers.

When you swap out power tubes, the bias must be adjusted to compensate for the new tubes. Bias is read from the three pin connector via the digital multimeter (set to read in millivolts). There are two sides to the power amp, with two tubes running each side and bias must be set for each side. The far right pin on the connector is for the right side tubes, the far left pin is for the left side tubes and the center pin is common. Simply connect the multimeter common (black) lead to the center pin and then the red lead to whatever side you are adjusting.

You will need to power the amp so it will need a load (connect to speaker cabinet). To read your bias settings, you need to turn it off standby like it is ready to be played through. While looking at your readings off the multimeter, adjust your bias by turning the white inset screw next to the right or left pins on the connector. Then do the same for the other side.

I have a sheet somewhere that lists the bias settings for JCM2000 amps. Let me know if you feel like tackling it and I'll send it to you. Otherwise you will have to go to a tech and pay large money for the simple procedure. It is very very simple to do and there is no danger of shocking yourself and you don't even have to pull the chassis out or anything.

Again, that only applies if the DSL series have the same pin access for bias adjustment as the TSL.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 12:41 PM

Gresh- could you send me that sheet if you could find it? That's something i really ought to know how to do, and I guess the TSL series heads are especially sensitive to bias settings... Also, how much would I be looking at for a digital multimeter, and where could I find one? thanks man,

-Drew
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 12:51 PM

I'll dig around for the sheet...

Regarding the multimeter, if you're in college just bum one off of a EE major when you need it. I don't think the good ones come cheaply, so beg borrow and steal.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 12:56 PM

Found the bias sheet...send me your actual email address and I'll send it to you. I got sent a PDF and I pasted it into word, but it is still an object so it won't paste into the forum text properly. I'll be happy to email it out, it has all the recommended settings for bias for all JCM2000 amps and combos plus instructions for how to do it.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

the dsl has those 3 prongs.

Alsways wondered what those were

Tags
power amp , speaker cab

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode