Jemini or Tube Screamer? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

Jemini or Tube Screamer?

I'm trying to decide between the jemini and tube screamer. I'm not sure which one, and i'm hoping to get the more versatile one, but i'm planning on getting a legacy head. my styles are instrumental (vai, gilbert), metal (dream theater, metallica), blues, and rock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 11:58 PM

Reviews: 3
Re: Jemini or Tube Screamer?

tube screamer for soloing...but try something more aggressive...boss metal zone...amazing pedal, dial it down if you need to, but has a great dist/compression vibe to it...jmho...mitch
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 12:01 AM

Reviews: 3

It depends on what kind of sound you want. The Tube Screamer is a classic. I've never played through a Vai Jemini pedal so you need someone who has played through both on here to help you.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 04:29 AM

Reviews: 2

it really depends on whether you want to use it to push already overdriven amp a bit more or to run it through a clean amp. If it's the latter, none of these will get you there.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 09:36 AM

Reviews: 13

The tube screamer is a great pedal. There are different versions over the years of the pedal though, so you will have to play around with the different types. To be honest, the Jemini completely underwhelmed me. I thought it was very weak, especially for the money they expect you to hand out.

What is it exactly do you want your pedal to do for you?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 02:09 PM

Reviews: 2

i`m in agreement with custon24 on the jemini...sold it 2wks after buying it, just didnt float my boat...quite bland and uninteresting tones i thought...any of the modded tubescreamers or either an AC or BB booster by xotic will see you right, i`m not so big on the metal pedals so i`ll leave that to others to help you....:-)
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 02:21 PM

Suhr Riot.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 03:18 PM

modded tubescreamer is phenomenal, but it will color your basic tone a bit (although this is part of the tubescreamer magic).

the fulltone ocd is a badass pedal too. i always use these with a slightly overdriven amp.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 05:54 PM

Reviews: 10

If you are planning to get a Legacy head and you want to play metal through it then you will need something more aggressive than a tube screamer...I have a Legacy head and it is not a metal amp - but you can run a good pedal through it and get some great metal tones. I use an AMT California Sound and a Keeley DS-1 with my Legacy and it does metal and instrumental rock very well with these pedals through the clean channel.

I haven't played a Jemini but I think you are paying a premium price for the name associated with it. I think you would be better off to spend a little extra and buy 2 separate pedals - a tubescreamer and a DS-1. These are what Vai used for years and this will give you more versatility. Keeley does a very nice modded DS-1 and you can also get a TS9dx from Keeley. Vai has used both Keeley pedals. Here is a link to photos on the Vai site with pictures of his DS-1 and TS9dx settings: http://vai.com/tn/photo.html
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 01:09 AM

I have a ts-9 (Baked) modded by Keeley. The harmonics are much richer & help for a saturated lead tone.The low end was boosted dramatically from a stock ts-9. I used it for leads with a preamp.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

SHould i get a ts9 or ts9 dx? oh and is there any other distortion pedal i might consider other than ds1?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 01:50 AM

Reviews: 1

Jemini: I play mostly through a Carvin X-100b, and I did not enjoy the jemini myself, and went right back to tube screamers. The overdrive half was only average, and the distortion side was not the DS-1 it was expected to be.

TS9 vs TS9DX: Can't beat a TS9, but if you are looking for more versatility, the TS9DX may be right for you. The TS9DX has an additional mode knob from the TS9. The first setting on that knob is "TS9", so basically your starting tone is a genuine, vintage TS9. The knob then allows you to change to a three other increasingly hot rodded tones. There are lots of you tube videos on them, check them out.

Good luck!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 07:57 AM

Reviews: 65

Jemini

TS is overrated.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 09:14 AM

if i was using it as my source of overdrive on a cleanish amp or slightly overdriven amp for like a blues sound i would def opt for the tube screamer but if i was overdriving an already distorted amp for metal the jemini would be good plus it as options ,,, both would do the job ,,,, i have both ,,, the jemini ts808 is original and i also have the ts10 ,,, ts10 is actually a very good buy . vox ice 9 is worth a look too

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode