The Jemsite guide to amps - Page 4 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 124 (permalink) Old 06-07-2004, 05:25 AM

Might I suggest adding Cornell - www.dc-developments.com - Denis is one of the tru British valve gurus...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 124 (permalink) Old 06-23-2004, 01:29 AM

Did I just miss it, or did Mr. Orange and everyone else, fail to mention Orange amps? Maybe they just go without saying...

Not that I know anything about them, just struck me as funny.
post #48 of 124 (permalink) Old 06-28-2004, 03:01 PM

For me the ENGL tone is absolutly amazing!! no way is this amp a cheap Mesa copy. it's a totally different animal... imagine the presence of a Marshall with the balls and smoothness of a Mesa.
post #49 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-21-2004, 05:36 PM

I would like to add the Koch line of amps, I am really liking these lately. They are "gainy" but not overly saturated if you get what I'm saying? They are compressed a lot as well, very smooth with definition too. My personal favourite is the Twintone, which has very similar features to the Bogner Shiva. There load box is also second to none IMO.

Also Dr. Z are very good, they are using ultra linear designs instead of the regular single ended or push pull approach. It has been used in the hi-fi world for a long time, nobody thought it would work for guitar amps but they were wrong! An ultra linear design attachs the screen grid of the output tube(s) (doesn't apply to triodes) to the same supply as the plate through specail taps on the output transformer. This makes it act like a cross between a triode and pentode: The triode has a lot of second harmonic going on and therfore is "sweet" sounding, the "complaint" is that its not as clear. THe pentode, on the other hand, has clarity but people complain that its not sweet. The ultra linear makes it in between the two! You can vary how much it acts like either tube by putting resitors in the correct places. Back to the tone: They use this design well, you can here the bass a lot better IMO, its not more bass its just deeper bass. These amps however are not high gain, you would need a booster to get a searing metal tone, but if you are going for clean or "progressive" marshall type sounds you could do much worse
post #50 of 124 (permalink) Old 07-22-2004, 09:03 AM

One of the best clean tones I've ever had the chance to play was my strat through a Dr. Z Carmen Ghia dricing a 1x12 cab. Neil Zaza describes his Route 66 on the edge of breakup as "like angels flying out of my speakers," and that's pretty much dead-on (incidentally, i'm not 100% sure, but I believe it's the Dr. Z that's responsible for the magority of the slightly overdriven tones on his "Staring at the Sun," and in addition to being an overall kickass guitar album, he dials up some of the best guitar sounds I've ever heard on that one)

-D
post #51 of 124 (permalink) Old 08-07-2004, 09:38 AM

Anyone have thoughts on RIVERA amps?
post #52 of 124 (permalink) Old 08-10-2004, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Please refer to page one or take it from me:

Got a '94 Rivera Hundred Duo Twelve. Love it. Have had Mesas, Marshalls, Fenders... the Rivera is a keeper. Tone, versatility, bells & whistles... you name it.
post #53 of 124 (permalink) Old 08-10-2004, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Orange
Please refer to page one or take it from me:

Got a '94 Rivera Hundred Duo Twelve. Love it. Have had Mesas, Marshalls, Fenders... the Rivera is a keeper. Tone, versatility, bells & whistles... you name it.
I have a 2002 Rivera Hundred Duo Twelve as well a keeper!
post #54 of 124 (permalink) Old 08-10-2004, 07:49 PM

Got a Rivera M60 4x10 combo... amazing tone, flexible as hell, massive sound. Definately a keeper!! Would highly reccomend them to anybody.

-Ben
post #55 of 124 (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 07:56 AM

how about an

Soldano Atomic 16

anyone? thoughts GENERALLY on Soldano as well?

Thanks!
post #56 of 124 (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 11:12 PM

Reviews: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukwan
For me the ENGL tone is absolutly amazing!! no way is this amp a cheap Mesa copy. it's a totally different animal... imagine the presence of a Marshall with the balls and smoothness of a Mesa.
Damn right, I for one really don't like Rectos but adore my ENGL.

Really screamy tough tone with bags of gain, doesn't get fizzy or muddy at all, really defined, giving pure violence with a hint of clarity.
post #57 of 124 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 01:50 PM

Reviews: 3
Quote:
If you guys have hand-on experience with these Hughes&Kettners etc, please feel free to share as it's pretty easy for everyone to find all those manufacturer websites...
One time Triamp owner here...

I think H&K (the amp guys) make a pretty nice amp. It is somewhat limited in sounds. You really have to try all of their amps and find the one that has the tone for you, and stay there. Whatever tone the amp gives you is a very nice, well-articulated sound... it is just limited. I think of it as a refined Marshall, with a bit more even of a frequency range. Whereas the Marshalls (to me) have a harsh "V" shape in the EQ band, cutting the mids out pretty dramatically, the H&K's start out a bit more flat. The rest of the tone is pretty similar.

They tried to make a few other amps, like their solid state Vortex series or their modelling amp, which never really caught on. The Vortex amps have a pretty interesting sound, almost Roland sounding clean but with insane solid state distortion. Tried to gear it around electronic music, but I just see it as an even more limited sound.

The Triamp is best thought of as having 3 channels with progressively more gain. There is no true clean channel, kind of like the 5150 (but cleaner than that). The 2nd channel is like a typical Marshall with the gain set to 5 and then channel 3 is all out insano gain.

Can't offer much more than that, I haven't played around with their entire lineup.
post #58 of 124 (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 08:07 AM

Regarding the H&K Edition TUBE...any thoughts? http://www.hughes-and-kettner.com/sc...prod&id=93

I am deciding on the following:

Mark 4 combo for $850.00 out the door (OTD)

a Mesa Boogie Subway Rocket for 450.00 OTD

or a Hughes & Kettner Edition Tube 20th Anniversary 375.00 OTD...

what would u do?
post #59 of 124 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 04:13 AM Thread Starter

Please keep your personal quests for amps out of this thread & start a new one insted, OK? No offence.
post #60 of 124 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Please keep your personal quests for amps out of this thread & start a new one insted, OK? No offence.

is thaqt a personal question ? lol

Tags
adrian belew , amp head , amp heads , amp tone , andy summers , andy timmons , angus young , bass response , blue voodoo , bogner ecstacy , bogner shiva , bogner uberschall , boogie road king , boogie triaxis , boss pedal , boss pedals , bridge pickup , clean tone , combo amp , crate blue voodoo , david mccarroll , devin townsend , diezel herbert , eddie van halen , engl powerball , eric johnson , extension cab , fat tone , fender strat , fender stratocaster , flextone iii , guitar playing , heavy metal , high gain amp , jerry cantrell , jimi hendrix , jimmy page , john petrucci , lee jackson , leo fender , les paul , les pauls , mark iic , mark knopfler , marshall amp , marshall avt , marshall jmp , marshall jtm , marshall tsl , mesa boogie , mesa boogie triaxis , mesa dual , mesa mark , mesa nomad , mesa rectifier , mike keneally , music store , neil zaza , nuno bettencourt , output pickup , paul gilbert , peavey jsx , pod pro , power amp , power amps , practice amp , preamp gain , preamp tube , rack pre , ray vaughan , ritchie blackmore , rivera amps , rivera tbr , robert fripp , roland cube , scott ian , soldano slo , steve lukather , steve morse , steve vai , stevie ray , stevie ray vaughan , strat plus , string guitars , thd hotplate , tony iommi , triple rectifier , tube amp , tube amps , tube combo , tube head , tung sol , twin reverb , van halen , versatile amp , vox valvetronix , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode