The Jemsite guide to amps - Page 6 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 124 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 08:28 PM

Re: The Jemsite guide to amps

Whats a good High gain Head with 3 channels @ 100w...I was thinking mesa dual rec,but you guys say there is better...?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 124 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 08:33 PM

B.T.W this is one of the best threads on jemsite....
post #78 of 124 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 08:46 PM

What's your opinion on the LC30?
post #79 of 124 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos grijalva
What's your opinion on the LC30?

Is that laney's copy of a ac30 ..because i have played one of them and they are very good...nice warm clean with a overdriven dirty channel..good for the money..
post #80 of 124 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 03:25 AM

mesa? whats better?
post #81 of 124 (permalink) Old 12-24-2005, 11:33 AM

Lots of great recomendations so far. I would like to add 80's Randall RG amps. They are solid state but have a nice musical range of tones. It has a pull boost on the treble EQ knob which allows some killer overdrive tones at low-mid volume. The reverb is deep on these amps. You can go from playing "WipeOut" to "WarPigs" no problem. The best part about these amps is that you can easily find them used for about $200. If anything they make a great backup/ knock around amp. Check one out if you see it in a music store.
post #82 of 124 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 06:52 AM

The Laney GH50L is the best sounding tube amp I've ever heard and it can be had for $400 on the auction/used market. ABSURD! It's a shame no one knows about this amp (besides Tony Iommi and Paul Gilbert at least). I still love my Mesas, Peaveys, VHTs and Marshalls, but the Laney GH50 (and any of their tube heads) is flat out amazing and underrated.
post #83 of 124 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 07:09 PM

http://www.watfordvalves.com/pdfs/guitarv10n3p120.pdf

I just found this link and posted it in a different thread. I figured it may also be of some use here. There's some interesting little snippets of info in here for valve noobs or those (like myself) who know that they sound great but don't know why.
post #84 of 124 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 08:24 AM

I have a TraceElliott H10 Supertwin, and I`m alittle surprised that this amp didnt hit home with more people. It has chrunch for metal, and clean for fender and jazz sounds... the higain lead is alittle fuzzy, but all over this a good amp!:-)
post #85 of 124 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 02:38 PM

what about a 50 watt Soldano head on a 4x12" half stack???

Should it be 100 watts for a half stack??? Or 50 watts will deliver a great sound???
post #86 of 124 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 06:03 AM

My marshall AVT 2000 is the dogs, sounds great miked up into a mixer, may consider getting a bigger amp but would never part with this beauty.
post #87 of 124 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 06:13 AM

Reviews: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowashburn
what about a 50 watt Soldano head on a 4x12" half stack???

Should it be 100 watts for a half stack??? Or 50 watts will deliver a great sound???
50 watts is enough for a half stack, although there aren't really any rules saying you can't use a 30 watt head or a 350 watt head. It's up to you what sound you want...
post #88 of 124 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janegil
I have a TraceElliott H10 Supertwin, and I`m alittle surprised that this amp didnt hit home with more people. It has chrunch for metal, and clean for fender and jazz sounds... the higain lead is alittle fuzzy, but all over this a good amp!:-)
They sound good but have a tendency to catch fire rather easily!
post #89 of 124 (permalink) Old 05-06-2006, 03:03 PM

Talking Re: The Jemsite guide to amps

Do not forget the Diezel Herbert with 120 Watts and a 4x12 Diezel cab

Combined with a universe - this is ultimative!
post #90 of 124 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 06:19 PM

Reviews: 2

The trouble is everyone has their own take on how a guitar should sound.

I also think that you shouldn't have just 1 amp as you get bored with the tone. For that I have a few. I'll keep it to the amp heads I have and write what I think of them

Laney GH100L:- PG inspired buy, has great tone but is a little upper mid - trebly and enough distortion If the tone is good enough for PG and Andy Timmons wel need I say more. It's an amp that's tight if you into fast picking although it's a bit basic but still worth checking out.

Legacy :- Stick a MXR Microamp in front of it and this thing is great. Very mid rangy and the clean channel is amazing. A very nice sounding amp. I took a while to get to like mine, the usual complaint of not enough gain was fixed by the microamp which is transparent enough to fix the lack of gain.

Engl Powerball: - What an amp. As someone said earlier these are better than boogies. Tones of features, super tight response for fast picking and heavy chording and a bass response to worry bassists. < Basically I'd bought the Legacy then tried this and had to buy it.

P

A mate has a company which makes pretty fine amps in the boutique Marshall vein which can be tailored to your own tone. http://www.tipton-amps.co.uk/
It's not really me but you get that EVH 1 sound.

Tags
adrian belew , amp head , amp heads , amp tone , andy summers , andy timmons , angus young , bass response , blue voodoo , bogner ecstacy , bogner shiva , bogner uberschall , boogie road king , boogie triaxis , boss pedal , boss pedals , bridge pickup , clean tone , combo amp , crate blue voodoo , david mccarroll , devin townsend , diezel herbert , eddie van halen , engl powerball , eric johnson , extension cab , fat tone , fender strat , fender stratocaster , flextone iii , guitar playing , heavy metal , high gain amp , jerry cantrell , jimi hendrix , jimmy page , john petrucci , lee jackson , leo fender , les paul , les pauls , mark iic , mark knopfler , marshall amp , marshall avt , marshall jmp , marshall jtm , marshall tsl , mesa boogie , mesa boogie triaxis , mesa dual , mesa mark , mesa nomad , mesa rectifier , mike keneally , music store , neil zaza , nuno bettencourt , output pickup , paul gilbert , peavey jsx , pod pro , power amp , power amps , practice amp , preamp gain , preamp tube , rack pre , ray vaughan , ritchie blackmore , rivera amps , rivera tbr , robert fripp , roland cube , scott ian , soldano slo , steve lukather , steve morse , steve vai , stevie ray , stevie ray vaughan , strat plus , string guitars , thd hotplate , tony iommi , triple rectifier , tube amp , tube amps , tube combo , tube head , tung sol , twin reverb , van halen , versatile amp , vox valvetronix , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode