Jim Dunlop Jazz III Maxgrip - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Jim Dunlop Jazz III Maxgrip

Just bought myself some of these.... I realize that they don't work so well for me

The gripping surface feels weird on my fingers after a little bit... and after 1 month of usage, there's accumuated grime on the surface which removes the gripping effecet and actually makes it slip more than a normal Jazz III!

Someone's having the same problems as me with these ?

Tone is OK though, and not as rigid as the normal Jazz III so I find that for faster picking it goes across the strings more easily.

In fact I can't settle on a pick.. I liked the Ultex Jazz III.. then went to normal Jazz III.. then the max grip.. and now I'm realizing that the Tortex H3 seems to make everything a bit easier although it wears fast.. and no grime anywhere
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Re: Jim Dunlop Jazz III Maxgrip

lol actually the grim is quite easily removed with a little bit of soap and drying it with a rugged towel.. so it's good to go again! I'm going to give it another go as the accumulated grim is my main complaint!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 07:07 PM

Just ordered 5 of these in the carbon fiber variant. I love my ultex jazz IIIs, but more grip is never a bad thing.

And yeah, on ultex, and stiffo jazz 3s at least, soap and hot water makes them grippy again in a few seconds. (Though admittedly, since they no longer have that light dusting of talc on them, it gets grimy again a little faster after that.

The ideal solution I suppose, would be to keep your picks in a box with a little bit of talc and a silica gel packet. No moisture, and it'll dry out any finger muck you DO leave on em.

*makes a note to try that*
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 12:04 AM

I've been around the block about 10 times trying to find my ideal pick, tried all the jazz III variants and ultex sharps etc. then moved to Red Bear Big Jazzer (very nice) and Classic II which is my current pick but that one is essentially a standard pick shape. I'm going to try some Max Grips next, but not the Jazz III ones I've decided they don't suit me after all.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 04:43 AM

I've tried to find the ultimate pick a few times too but for the last year or so I've been hooked on Ibanez Paul Gilbert picks (yes I know he doesn't use them anymore). I was a Jazz III user for like a decade but they just stopped feeling right.

They sound great, grip well (because of the design/writing perhaps), they're the right size and are cheap. Only issue is they're not as durable as Jazz III's - you can run through a batch quickly because they're made of plastic.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 06:24 AM Thread Starter

I got some Paul Gilbert picks too but they didn't feel right... that's the problem with Jazz III... anything else feels "wrong" because it will be slightly bigger... just a couple hours to get used to it I guess!

I like this video, this guy can basically play great with any pick.. point being.. there's no magic pick that'll make you play/sound 200% better

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7s5gUHuQzY

Offtopic: Hey guitarnoize hope to make it into your blue noize competition soon
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 06:34 AM

That's true, if you can play with a pick all picks should be fine but some are more comfortable... for example, I prefer pointed tips - Jazz II's would *never* do it for me.

The other unintended benefit of switching from Jazz III's to Ibanez picks is being able to hold the pick between your middle finger to do a little tapping. The Jazz III's are too small for that.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindwalker View Post
I got some Paul Gilbert picks too but they didn't feel right... that's the problem with Jazz III... anything else feels "wrong" because it will be slightly bigger... just a couple hours to get used to it I guess!

I like this video, this guy can basically play great with any pick.. point being.. there's no magic pick that'll make you play/sound 200% better

Offtopic: Hey guitarnoize hope to make it into your blue noize competition soon

He'd have made his point better if he hadn't stopped playing with the jazz 3 and started talking about how it felt weird. Surely he shouldn't have minded, if his point was that all picks are good?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 07:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
He'd have made his point better if he hadn't stopped playing with the jazz 3 and started talking about how it felt weird. Surely he shouldn't have minded, if his point was that all picks are good?
Well he mentioned that he had played solid with the Jazz III for over 10 years but now it feels weird (as in small) compared to bigger picks he's using currently.. but he was clearly able to play with that one too.

It's a common feeling if you're used to normal sized picks to try a Jazz III for the first time

I play with Jazz III sized picks for like a year now and everything else seems too big these days
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Well he mentioned that he had played solid with the Jazz III for over 10 years but now it feels weird (as in small) compared to bigger picks he's using currently.. but he was clearly able to play with that one too.

It's a common feeling if you're used to normal sized picks to try a Jazz III for the first time

I play with Jazz III sized picks for like a year now and everything else seems too big these days
No, I mean he said all that stuff about playing with any pick is fine, then he goes and complains that Jazz 3's feel weird, and that he had to change from it because he didn't like it. It sort of defeats the whole point of what he was saying.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 10:09 AM

I've been using the carbon fiber version of these for the past couple months, no issues. No grime either, but then my hands are pretty clean.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 12:46 AM

Reviews: 18

Quote:

Remy is a great guitar player and he does shed light on a legitimate point. I just can't for the life of me swap back to standard sized picks. I keep asking myself why I'm even bothering trying to switch back when I don't even have a legitimate reason. He mentioned he used a Jazz III for 10 years, I've only been using one for 4 yeas and I can't break the spell.

The Max Grip Jazz III's are great. I did notice that the point on the max grip is slightly more rounded than than the traditional Jazz, but were talking almost an unnoticeable difference, but if you compare them, you can tell. The added gripping surface is definitely a plus. The grime build up is no biggie, doesn't hinder the performance in my opinion. Likely just psychological than anything.

I too have been searching for the perfect pick, but I always retreat back to the comfort of the Jazz III. Maybe that's a sign that I've already found the proper pick? Normal size picks just feel like paddles to me now. The XL jazz pick is probably the only normal sized pick I can use. I could never get into the Ultex III. Personally ultex has too much of a glassy 'round' feel to it. The tortex H3 is a great pick, but it wears way to fast and the pick looses its feel when the wearing begins. So ultimately, the Nylon Jazz III's are the most consistent pick as far as wear and tear is concerned.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirshredsalot View Post
Remy is a great guitar player and he does shed light on a legitimate point. I just can't for the life of me swap back to standard sized picks. I keep asking myself why I'm even bothering trying to switch back when I don't even have a legitimate reason. He mentioned he used a Jazz III for 10 years, I've only been using one for 4 yeas and I can't break the spell.

The Max Grip Jazz III's are great. I did notice that the point on the max grip is slightly more rounded than than the traditional Jazz, but were talking almost an unnoticeable difference, but if you compare them, you can tell. The added gripping surface is definitely a plus. The grime build up is no biggie, doesn't hinder the performance in my opinion. Likely just psychological than anything.

I too have been searching for the perfect pick, but I always retreat back to the comfort of the Jazz III. Maybe that's a sign that I've already found the proper pick? Normal size picks just feel like paddles to me now. The XL jazz pick is probably the only normal sized pick I can use. I could never get into the Ultex III. Personally ultex has too much of a glassy 'round' feel to it. The tortex H3 is a great pick, but it wears way to fast and the pick looses its feel when the wearing begins. So ultimately, the Nylon Jazz III's are the most consistent pick as far as wear and tear is concerned.
Its not a different shape (Got mine today, comparing it to a brand spanking new Ultex Jazz 3, the bevel is just deeper. Probably to offset catching on the harder material.)

Anyway, I fully endorse these max grip Jazz 3's. They're so much more grippy it feels weird at first, but its great, no more trying to rotate a pick while playing. They're even slightly, slightly brighter, due to being harder.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 03:25 PM

i love these carbon fibre picks, the grip is such that i haven't dropped a pick yet, even sweating on stage coming up to m big solo! that's the real test and it passed with flying colours.

no good having a superior-toned pick if it is lying on the floor where you dropped it.

Tags
jazz iii

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode