Jimi Hendrix sound? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2003, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Jimi Hendrix sound?

I didnt really know what section to put this in so if i have it wrong can the MODS please move it.

Anyway....At the moment i am really searching for that Hendrix sound and i am sure you all know what i mean as most of you have probably searched for this sound yourself.

I have an array of Multi Effects at my disposal and wondered what effects i needed to or could use to get that Hendrix sound. Now i know that WAH is an onvious choice but i was wonderin about Octave effects and the likes....for that Hendrix "Fuzz"

Any ideas will be helpful because as i say i have an array of effects at my disposal!

Thanks Guys,
Gary - the.godfather
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2003, 03:48 PM

Very simple:
Fender Strat
Marshall amp
Fuzz
Wah

Thats it.....

But 99.999999% of his sound came from tons and tons of acid and drugs, and his FINGERS.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2003, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearjunky
Very simple:
Fender Strat
Marshall amp
Fuzz
Wah
Mostly accurate, aside from the fact that he'd specifically asked about the OCTAVE effects

The Fulltone Ultimate Octave is a great pedal for that Hendrixy octave/fuzz effect. I had a Roger Mayer signature Octavia which was nice as well, but the Fulltone was a bit more "musical".
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2003, 05:44 PM

Reviews: 1
Don't forget about the univibe.
I have a KILLER live Hendrix at Woodstock, tone set up in my SGE Mach II
with the univibe swirl sound, just add fuzz.

If needed I can provide patch settings, its a pretty good rendition.

Bamm
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2003, 09:12 PM

Retube your JMP Marshalls with 6550s, use vintage style 4x12 cabs with Celestion Greenbacks and you're a tad closer. And always crank the amps!

And of course you need a germanium Fuzz Face.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2003, 10:35 PM

Or you can scoot over to Voodoo Lab.com and try out one or all of their pedals. The Octavia, Super Fuzz and Micro Vibe are incredible sounding pedals, based on the originals used by Jimi and his comtemporaries. They're made in the US and use the exact transistors, transformers, Germanium diodes, lamps and photo cells that account for the famous sounds of the Tycobrahe Octavia, Jordan Bosstone Fuzz, and Uni-Vibe pedals.

Their parent company, Digital Music Corp., is the maker of custom pedalboards and switching systems for alot of pro guitarists.

If you can't afford $300 - $500 for the real thing, the Voodoo Lab pedals are second best. They retail for $149 and can be found used for around $80.

I don't mean to come off as a salesman, but I've been using their Sparkle Drive for 2 years and the Micro Vibe for over 3 years, and I'm very impressed with their sound quality and construction.

Just my .02
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2003, 12:51 AM

First thing's first, knock your guitar out of tune

Also, never underestimate the importance of your middle single coil.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2003, 05:15 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replys guys - I just think that the Hendrix "tone" is so distinctive, and even though it is quite a few years old now, it still rules.

But of course i am not underestimating that some large part of his tone came from his fingers!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2003, 03:40 PM

It also depends largely on which era we're talking about... I mean, "Are You Experienced" is very different from, say, "Band of Gypsys."

Hendrix is more aboutt he vibe than the tone for me, anyway... I mean, a strat driving an amp set for a thick, fat, fairly dark lead sound will get you close enough, and the rest comes from his sick (in the new england slang sense, meaning "really cool") sense of groove. He's just so laid back and loose while never sounding sloppy... It's got this over-the-top sense of, idunno, badassness to it. Anyone who's ever heard the "Hendrix: Blues" CD knows exactly what I'm talkign about. That disc is why Jimi's my favorite blues guitarist. Unreal.

-D
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-15-2003, 08:30 AM

I think a big part of the sound is his overall feel of the groove. The tone isn't too hard to get close to, but the feel is the "essence" of what makes his overall sound so "thick" and laid back- almost like he is in his own "meter" following some "outer galaxy" time signature.
I think the Pearl Jam guy is trying real hard to get the effects part down -as is heard on all the live stuff (a little over done IMO).

My .02
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-16-2003, 06:24 PM

ever wondered why people sound the same on different guitars ? , well , its because tone is in the FINGERS man , seriously
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-16-2003, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton
ever wondered why people sound the same on different guitars ? , well , its because tone is in the FINGERS man , seriously
Ah but what do you mean? They may sound the same because you hear the same riffs and can identify the player by their signature riffs...

Plug Vai into a Pignose and the "Vai tone" will absolutely NOT be there. Aka the "sound". His riffs will be though.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2003, 02:07 PM

[quote="steedaPlug Vai into a Pignose and the "Vai tone" will absolutely NOT be there. Aka the "sound". His riffs will be though.[/quote]

Funny, because a lot of people thought Vai's tone sounded "just like Vai" on those Korg demos, even though they were ran through the horrible internal amp sim... Sure, some of that's the riffs and "note choice," but a lot of a player's sonic thumbprint also comes from things like his or her attack on the strings, vibrato, pressure against the fingerboard... A lot of these things affect the "tone" of the instrument, giving it a snappier, more agressive bite, or a smoother, darker warmth. Tone's definately in your fingers.

-D
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-17-2003, 04:18 PM

the neverending arguement.

How about this? Your tone is attributed to by your equipment choice and your playing style. Both are needed, not either.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artist
the neverending arguement.

How about this? Your tone is attributed to by your equipment choice and your playing style. Both are needed, not either.
Bingo. No matter what you do, a Blackface Fender and a '54 strat won't give you the tone for, say, "Summer Song," even if you're Satch, but a Marshall 30th head and a JS through a DS-1 (or whatever he used on that session) won't necessarily get you there either if you're not. This might not be the greatest example, but....

-D

Tags
fender strat , marshall amp , pearl jam , switching systems , voodoo lab

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode