Joe Satriani' Sustain! - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Joe Satriani' Sustain!

Anyone got any idea how the hell Satch manages to get so much sustain without the use of a fernades?

He seems to hit a harmonic and it lasts forever....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 12:32 PM

Re: Joe Satriani' Sustain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayzor View Post
Anyone got any idea how the hell Satch manages to get so much sustain without the use of a fernades?

He seems to hit a harmonic and it lasts forever....
Controled feedback for one, best set up possible, and technique.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 07:25 PM

His JS guitars scream! It's so easy to hit harmonics on those guitars, it's ridiculous. For the most part, it's his technique.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 07:31 PM

That's pretty simple - volume and saturation.

I can get my semi-hollowbody Gretsch to sustain forever too - whether I want it to or not........
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 07:38 PM

Except Satch is light on gain. He sets his gain very low live.

You could always use an OD pedal if you're having trouble with the harmonics ringing out.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarmiester View Post
Except Satch is light on gain. He sets his gain very low live.

You could always use an OD pedal if you're having trouble with the harmonics ringing out.
his gain is set at a moderate level... it's low if you compare it to like Metal and stuff.

His volume is pretty loud, but for the most part it's controlled feedback which is mapped out on the stage floor during rehearsals. Each spot gives a different harmonic.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 08:15 PM

For a while he was touring with his gain at about 10-11 o'clock. You'd be surprised at master volume levels that some guitarists use. Some of them crank them just enough to get the sound they want and then mic it.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 09:25 PM

He uses a wah pedal a lot too. That can give you a lot of sustain also.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 04:11 AM

If he sets the gain say around 5-6 and cranks the master, then the level of gain should increase?
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 09:05 AM

The more you crank the master, the more power amp saturation you're going to get. A lot of guitarists prefer poweramp saturation rather than setting the drive high in the preamp.

With my Legacy, the more I crank the master volume on the lead channel the smoother the amp sounds. It's not exactly adding more gain, you're driving the tubes harder.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 09:21 AM

Reviews: 3

Compression.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 09:22 AM

Reviews: 18

Maybe mine is not setup properly but....

I have another factor to throw into the mix. What role does his tone control play when hitting harmonics and getting sustain? Obviously his tone control isn't set at 10 all the time and there really isn't a way to tell by just looking at the knob on his axe.

As far as his wah is concerned, he really doesn't have it on all the time and I'm wondering how he goes about turning it on and off without having to stomp hard on the pedal to turn it off? I'm assuming that's what the FS5's are for?

Jimmy
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 09:32 AM

Reviews: 3

I don't think the tone control has much to do with it. He has a built in Compressor in his JSX amp. His wahwah is on and left up. If you don't move it, it doesn't do much, or it's off and he's probably using a different effect for wah like the Whammy pedal.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 09:35 AM

When I've seen Satch live looks like he steps on his wah to turn it on and off. He's quick though, if you watch he'll push toe down and then rocks off leaving the pedal in heel position. I've never seen him using a footswitch to turn his wah on/off, but you never know...

I've never heard anything from Satch about his tone knob, kinda curious now. If I find anything out, I'll post here. A lot of players leave their tone knob at 10. I was surprised to find out that Petrucci has his on 10 all the time.

"A different effect for wah like the whammy pedal" ??? Satch uses the WH1, which has no wah functions. Not sure what you meant by that?
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 09:48 AM

Last edited by Rodney James; 02-01-2008 at 02:27 AM.

Tags
amp distortion , fender hot rod , fender hot rod deluxe , joe satriani , peavey amp , power amp , power amp distortion , tube amp , tube amps , wah pedal , whammy pedal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode