John Petrucci's sound - Page 4 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 12:16 AM

Re: John Petrucci's sound

bbtw guys where do you get mesa boogies? hmm cant find em at MF or M123
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 12:25 AM

You may want to try the east coast music mall in Danbury COnnecticut or call around til you find a Guitar Center that carries Boogies. SOme Guitar Centers have Boogie products and some don't. If there isn't anyone local to you and you're sure you want to buy, you can buy through a authorized dealer and most likely get it shipped to you if the nearest store is a long drive.
post #48 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1spretty
I know that the player is 50% of the tone. but you see ive hired a guy to professionally extract petrucci's soul, make a copy, and give it to me. ive just read that "santana's soul for sale" thread in the classifieds so excuse my bad sense of humour
Btw rgr do you know which mesa amps he uses/ what should i consider? Im a noob regarding Mesa stuff. Actually im a noob regarding any amps or effects. Will work on that in the future
Thank you for your answers everyone. Does anyone know what effects racks he uses?
Hehehe. That was me and I guess they deleted the thread
post #49 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Secondino
So if oyu want John's current sound,you'll want a basswood super strat with his Dimarzio pickups and a Recto. But if you want John's older sound, you'll want a triaxis and power amp or a quad preamp/ Mark series amp.
Looking for his current sound. Cheapest suggestion so far. i love u! hehehe

Btw would an alder superstrat help me? because ive just seen the ESP M-II (alder body, SD pickups but i might buy other pickups and keep swapping between the 2 combinations) and it is affordable and seems like it has better quality than other basswood guitars in that price range (1000-1200$)
post #50 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 04:11 AM

I like my setup... guitar ---- [cable] ----> amp
post #51 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 04:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by red5
Thats what im looking for. Except i need a footswitch with that set-up
post #52 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red5
+1 the simplest ever
post #53 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-09-2006, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1spretty
Looking for his current sound. Cheapest suggestion so far. i love u! hehehe

Btw would an alder superstrat help me? because ive just seen the ESP M-II (alder body, SD pickups but i might buy other pickups and keep swapping between the 2 combinations) and it is affordable and seems like it has better quality than other basswood guitars in that price range (1000-1200$)
Using an Alder guitar wouldn't hurt anything. It's brighter than BAsswood but probably one of the most tonally similar woods. It has alot of pulp area like basswood does and certainly less grain area like Ash. So that helps it to sound pretty tight like basswood wood.

All John used at the CLinic I set up for him was his guitar, a 2 channel Recto and a Boss Delay Pedal.
post #54 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-10-2006, 03:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Secondino
Using an Alder guitar wouldn't hurt anything. It's brighter than BAsswood but probably one of the most tonally similar woods. It has alot of pulp area like basswood does and certainly less grain area like Ash. So that helps it to sound pretty tight like basswood wood.

All John used at the CLinic I set up for him was his guitar, a 2 channel Recto and a Boss Delay Pedal.
Thank you. i finally have my "to get" list finalized. This feels good
post #55 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-10-2006, 11:14 AM

a mesa boogie nomad amp will get you 98% of the way there for a LOT LESS CASH. They sound better than the rectos to me, less buzzy, more fat...more similar to a Mark IV, which is also a great start but more cash. Only draw back to nomads at least the 45 watter was lack of clean channel headroom, it broke up too easily, great for blues though. The drive and lead channels are simply fantastic and can nail petrucci's tone with some thoughtful tweaking. A few guys have posted settings in the past and they were spot on.
post #56 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-11-2006, 03:02 AM Thread Starter

So far its mesa boogie triaxis/power amp, dual recto, mark IV, Nomad. Gonna try them when i travel hopefully this summer. leaning towards the nomad since its the cheapest. Thanks all
post #57 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresh
a mesa boogie nomad amp will get you 98% of the way there for a LOT LESS CASH. They sound better than the rectos to me, less buzzy, more fat...more similar to a Mark IV, which is also a great start but more cash. Only draw back to nomads at least the 45 watter was lack of clean channel headroom, it broke up too easily, great for blues though. The drive and lead channels are simply fantastic and can nail petrucci's tone with some thoughtful tweaking. A few guys have posted settings in the past and they were spot on.
Gotta chime in to pimp for the Nomads - It's probably the most versatile amp Mesa has ever produced, and easily one of the VERY few to do an excellent job spanning both of the sounds they're known for, the liquid smooth sustain of the Mark series with the deep, edgy chunk of the Rectos.

I have NO idea why they were discontinued, but I suspect the fact that prior to trying one myself I always thought of them as sort of a "poor man's Recto" probably had a lot to do with it - personally, after I spent some time tweaking one, i actually prefer the chunkier side of the Nomad to a Recto, and the Nomad destroys the Rectos for lead, IMO (then again, I'm a pretty low gain solo tone sort of guy, and Rectos are happier for lead with the gain up a bit or the poweramp running VERY hard, so take this with a grain of salt).
post #58 of 58 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 12:22 PM

Wow, having tried all three versions of the Nomad, I thought they were one of the worst amps Mesa ever made. Of course, I was trying to get a very METAL tone. I thought the Nomad would be decent for classic rock, but it was missing about 80% more gain and distortion to do metal. I've heard a couple guy's Nomad clips around the various forums and they all sound the same. Some claim to get an Images and Words sound with the Nomad. I'm not sure what version of I&W they are comparing to, but it didn't sound even close to MY ears. Of course, YMMV. I'm using a Triaxis, Mesa 20/20 and a Vertical Recto 2x12 for my setup. Compared them side by side to the Nomad and it was NO CONTEST. The Triaxis ate it alive, even the 100Watt Nomad. Then again, it was at Guitar Center, so maybe the Nomad's tubes or something were shot.

Later,
Jeff

PS - What's up Paul? How are the internet lessons going?

Tags
air norton , alder body , amp head , amp settings , basswood guitar , basswood guitars , boogie nomad , boogie triaxis , dean markley , delay pedal , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , dual recto , guitar mag , john petrucci , mark iic , mesa amps , mesa boogie , mesa boogie dual , mesa boogie nomad , mesa boogie triaxis , mesa cab , mesa cabs , mesa mark , mesa power amp , midi foot , nuno bettencourt , output pickup , pedal board , playing guitar , power amp , power amps , practice amp , recto cab , rocktron xpression , super strat , tone zone , tube power amp , van halen , versatile amp , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode