John Petrucci's sound - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 4
John Petrucci's sound

Hey all
Anyone here ever got John petrucci's sound? If so, what did you guys use?
I saw the Live at Budokan DVD yesterday and i realised that [email protected]@rd stole my dream tone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 11:41 AM

Re: John Petrucci's sound

Tone Zone and Air Norton pickups for a start.

I'm sure some other guys here can enlighten us on effects and amps.
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 11:55 AM

Tone Zone ? but i know he uses D-sonic...
post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 11:55 AM

he used Steve's Special before in his Ibanez', and now he uses D-sonic. No tone zone for him
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 12:00 PM
rgr

Mesa amps, refrigerator sized rack with his presets, years of practice, and his fingers wouldn't hurt. Check the 2nd disc on the LAB DVD set, I think it shows alot of his rig.

I was reading a Nuno Bettencourt interview from an old magazine the other day, he said he got to go to a Van Halen practice once and it was so cool because there was Ed playing and it was "that" tone!!!! Ed told him to plug in and try his stuff, Nuno said he plugged in and "it sounded like me, I was disappointed" (I'm a big NB fan, I'd love to sound like him FWIW). Just another VH story (like the old Nugent one where he plugged into Ed's amps) to show how much of the tone is from the player. That said, amps and guitars do have a major impact, so a Mesa is definitely a move in the right direction.

As far as pickups, the original JPMs had TZs (Images and Words era, it's been discussed ad nauseum here), he then switched to the SS, now he uses the DS. Try checking the forums at www.johnpetrucci.com, those guys can probably tell you about anything you want to know. (hint: check here, http://66.179.182.17/forums/showthread.php?t=35530)
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

I know that the player is 50% of the tone. but you see ive hired a guy to professionally extract petrucci's soul, make a copy, and give it to me. ive just read that "santana's soul for sale" thread in the classifieds so excuse my bad sense of humour
Btw rgr do you know which mesa amps he uses/ what should i consider? Im a noob regarding Mesa stuff. Actually im a noob regarding any amps or effects. Will work on that in the future
Thank you for your answers everyone. Does anyone know what effects racks he uses?
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 12:14 PM
rgr

Hmm, good luck with that.

Probably Rectos or Heartbreakers on LAB but I'm not really sure, check the 2nd disc, I think it does a breakdown of gear. Lately he's been pimping Lonestars and Stilletos (IIRC) in ads in guitar mags.

I'm more of a Marshall sound guy, I use a Trace Speedtwin, sounds Marshally with more balls.
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 12:29 PM

I presume you've already seen this:
http://www.johnpetrucci.com/equipment.html
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 12:48 PM

Man, that's alot of stuff for a clean and a distorted sound.
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 12:57 PM
rgr

Word... It gives me a small amp complex.
post #11 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 01:20 PM

A good start would be to get a Mesa Mark IIC+ head and a vintage mesa cab. If you don't have that kind of cash, you can try a Triaxis thru a Mesa tube power amp (2:50 or 2:95) with a C-major for FX. becasue it would be a lot easier to build his clinic rig than his main rig (unless you want to spend like $75,000)

clinic rig

http://www.johnpetrucci.com/images/e...nt/clinic2.jpg

sick ass main rigs..

http://www.johnpetrucci.com/images/e...pmainracks.jpg
http://www.johnpetrucci.com/images/e...stagesetup.jpg

Last edited by Lefty Robb; 05-30-2006 at 01:27 PM.
post #12 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 01:50 PM

I don't know why anyone would want to play thru all that crap. I just don't think it's necesary at all.
post #13 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

That is really too much. Unless i was a big shot musician endorsed by every company on earth, i wouldnt get this. crap. That rig is really worth $75,000. i was hoping a less expensive set up is possible. Something like... guitar ---> Preamp ---> Amp and some effects. I guess i was asking too much
Someday ill get this, or something close to it. Ill work on it piece by piece. well at least the mesa stack (lonestar) and the triaxis. Ive been a fan of those for ages
post #14 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 03:43 PM
rgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotti
I don't know why anyone would want to play thru all that crap. I just don't think it's necesary at all.
Yeah, Vai would never play through anything like that

Of course, to me the Marshalls and Soldanos are much cooler than Mesas.
post #15 of 58 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Unless i was a big shot musician endorsed by every company on earth, i wouldnt get this. crap.

Even if I was I wouldn't want it.

Tags
air norton , alder body , amp head , amp settings , basswood guitar , basswood guitars , boogie nomad , boogie triaxis , dean markley , delay pedal , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , dual recto , guitar mag , john petrucci , mark iic , mesa amps , mesa boogie , mesa boogie dual , mesa boogie nomad , mesa boogie triaxis , mesa cab , mesa cabs , mesa mark , mesa power amp , midi foot , nuno bettencourt , output pickup , pedal board , playing guitar , power amp , power amps , practice amp , recto cab , rocktron xpression , super strat , tone zone , tube power amp , van halen , versatile amp , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode