Johnson JM150 - Reviews? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2001, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Johnson JM150 - Reviews?

Can anyone give me an honest review of the Johnson JM150? *I dont have a lot of cash to spend on gear, and it seems like this would be a way to get a well rounded sound for the price. *Does anyone have one or know anything about it? *Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2001, 10:40 PM

Johnson JM150

I have a tune in mp3 format I could send - it's done completely with the amp; of course, the 7vwh, S-Custom Swirl, & wolfgangs help with the tone.

Hearing sounds in the context of a song might be the best way to tell.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2001, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Johnson JM150

I would love it!
Either e-mail it over to [email protected] or talk to me on AIM at: xwvkaosvwx
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2001, 11:41 PM

Johnson JM150

Opeth: Nice nick, I love the band. I wish they'd come to the US.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2001, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

Johnson JM150

yeah =(

I really like their guitar work. *Im not a huge fan of the death growls, but in Opeth's case, i think its fitting. *Just an amazing band, i cant name a "bad" opeth song if i tried.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2001, 03:02 AM

Johnson JM150

Opeth--

Both me & the other guitarist in my band (djrjems) swear by the Johnson JM150's. I use a JM150 with a Digitech Control One foot controller and a Johnson 2x12 extension cab. Dave uses a JM150 with a J12 foot controller. You can hear some of our stuff at the following websites (all of which was recorded with JM150's):

Naughty Butterspoon (current band)
http://www.naughtybutterspoon.com

Inception (former recording project)
http://w3.one.net/~brentano/inception/

For the money, I think the JM150 is a lot of amp. Lots of great tones, and it's relatively warm sounding for an amp with a solid state power amp (does have a tube preamp). I don't know if the models are particularly realistic, but I like it nonetheless (e.g., the dual rec model may not sound like a real dual rec, but the dual rec model sounds pretty good either way). It has tremendous thump, perhaps due to the Celestion Vintage 30's. The FX section is incredibly flexible, but it's only as complex as you want to make it. The amount of control, especially when combined with a MIDI foot controller, is almost ridiculous. It even records direct to console (no mics) pretty well (that's how all our MP3's were recorded--direct).

I like the Johnson gear so much that I bought a JM120 to use for a backup amp and a J-Station to use as a recording amp!

--Brent
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2001, 04:08 PM

Johnson JM150

I think you should also try Line6 gear.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2001, 08:06 PM

Johnson JM150

I was playing through a rocktron piranha into mesa power amp[simu-395] with a t.c. m-one until I found a jm250 head,cabinet, and j12 controller at a pawnshop for 700.00.I could not resist ! I love the control this set up gives me, especially the amp morphing programs. I found the distortion to be good but lacking a little something.Since I had the mesa power amp lying around,I did a little experiment and used the direct outs of the jm250 into the mesa then to the cabinet.The result is heaven.If you try this, remember to turn off the speaker simulator.The sound of this set up is the best of both worlds,great thick sounding distortion with an unlimited amount of control.I since have gotten a marquis jm60 for my room[for practicing and demoing new material] and am equally impressed.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2001, 03:44 AM

Johnson JM150

I currently have a JM150 and am very happy with it. *I know some people think it's not that great... but for what it does I really like it. *My favorite presets are 32 and 34 (the johnson amp sounds.) * The "hot rodded marshall" preset is also real good if you change the EQ a bit. *I'm looking for a foot controller, but i dont want to spend a lot of money. *So I guess I'll wait until something pops up on ebay or something.

Some of the amps have a problem with the tone controls and other knobs. *You know how there is a digital readout of each tone control? * On some amps, when you turn the controls, the numbers jump all over the place and it makes it real hard if not impossible to dial in what you want. *So watch out for that if you buy a used one. *

Tags
celestion vintage , custom swirl , extension cab , mesa power amp , midi foot , midi foot controller , power amp , rocktron piranha , solid state power amp , tube preamp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode