Johnson, Line6, Fender... - Amps - Page 3 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-20-2001, 10:35 PM

Johnson, Line6, Fender...

Eric Johnson uses a POD on a song for his upcoming solo release.

I think the Johnson Millenium speaker cabinets are cool. *Cost effective, Vintage 30's, and that no-tear spray-on tolex.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-21-2001, 12:08 AM

The Johnson 150 sounds pretty decent at low volumes. Of course, when you're emulating a dual rec and you don't have the volume up to at least 3-4, you don't have that much thump, but what do you expect at low volumes? The tones themselves are quite good at low volumes, and I usually record the Johnson at low volumes (often even running direct).

On the other hand, I've probably never turned the amp up past 4 or 5. That's been plenty loud for all the rehearsing and gigging I've used it for (I'm afraid to turn it up much louder, for I shall go deaf).

--B
post #33 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-21-2001, 10:53 PM

Those of you out there who don't think things like the Pod, or other modelling amps can cut it should check out the album "The Greyest of Blue Skies" by finger eleven. *Almost all the rhythm parts on the album were recorded on a Tom Anderson through a Pod straight into the board. *Check this out:

"with the dramatic dynamic range the band demonstrates on the greyest of blue skies, rest assured there is ample sonic space for both guitarists to cut loose with tantalizing tones -- sounds that owe as much to standard effects like wah-wah and delay to more cutting-edge technology. "we used the line 6 pod a lot on the record," rick says. "i couldn't believe the tones that you could get out of that thing. my main tone was a marshall amp, cranked to h*** -- so loud that it would wake up people when i was recording. but as far as cool, interesting sounds, the pod was perfect for it. they have real guitar tones, and i'm not sure how they do it. now it seems like you cant walk into the studio without a pod sitting there."

Here's the whole article:

http://www.angelfire.com/rock2/theco...g1nov2000.html
post #34 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-22-2001, 02:41 AM

Reviews: 3

Two_hands -
The entire "Something Like Human" album by Fuel was done on Amp farm with Les Pauls. *The album is flawless as far as production goes... and the guitar tones perfectly fit the music... however it still is not a tone I'd ever want. *I can hear it scream digital, no matter how well they try to hide it.
post #35 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-22-2001, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

I'd just like to add the fact that I have never ever owned a piece of tube equipement, and have only ever used two:

1) *A little tiny amp that sucked.

2) *A Hughs & Kettner half-stack that I was impressed with, but would have liked more variety. *
post #36 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-24-2001, 02:50 PM

Im currently using a line6 fextoneII. and have a pod and crate 1/2 stack for home use.The fextone is easy to set up and has a direct out! no power supply needed for the floor board just the cable! AWSOME sound and Im ready in 5 min! 100 watts too.
post #37 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-25-2001, 12:05 AM

Here's my story... in the 80's when I was a teen and didn't know any better I bought a CRATE amp (it was also all I could afford). *Of course, it sucked. *Many years later I wanted to make up for abusing myself like that so I bought a Digitech 2120. *The sounds were OK, but I found that WAY too much time was wasted on gee-whiz effects tweaking and wanted good TONE. *Hering everyone rave about the POD made me curious, so I got one and I will take it to the grave with me. *

Then I started playing live every single sunday. *Reading (at line6 and at podforum.com) that a lot of guys were playing their POD's live through a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, I tried that for a while. *Then I realized something very important. *To me, the Hot Rod sounded much better LIVE than using the POD as a preamp. *I agree that the POD is good and lots of pros are using them, but mostly in the studio and not live. (remember, I said mostly).

Thanks to the POD, I now knew the diference between a MarkIIc+ and a VoxAC30 and a Bassman and my personal favorite, the Fender Blackface Deluxe. *I was happy playing through the Hot Rod live for a while, but then came to realize that for clean tones I liked the Deluxe better than the Hot Rod (which is based on the Bassman circuit). *So I traded in the Hot Rod for a Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue and I am in clean tone HEAVEN!!!

I read a lot of debates on multifx vs stomps and after having the 2120 and the POD, I realized that having all of an effects knobs in front of you and instantly tweakable was more valuable to me than having something that I had to program beforehand. *Also, I was only using like 2 or 3 of the POD amp models, so the POD was not really being used for all the 32 amps "all in one box, man!". *Personally, I believe that you don't need 32 different sounds live and should spend more time on technique than tone. *(90% of tone is in the fingers anyways).

I'ts hard to explain, but there is just a different feeling playing with a real tube amp live vs. a POD, you should definitely try both (my local music store rents tube amps for $35 a day).

To make a long story short, I believe the POD is GREAT for recording and for helping you decide if you want a british EL34 sound, a class A vs. Class AB amp, a fender 6L6 sound and generally what amp you want to buy. *I would never give up the POD, but live, it has to be a tube amp with stomps for me right now.
post #38 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-25-2001, 11:08 AM

POD, Line6, Flextone, Fender Cybertwin, Johnson, Yamaha... blah-blah-blah... Guys, forget them all and check Hughes & Kettner Zentera, namely THE modeling amp. :love:
post #39 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-25-2001, 11:42 AM

What would you think is the best modeling amp for practice....By "practice" I mean a level where you can play in an appartment without the neighbours bashing on your wall....

I don't really want a lot of sounds, just 4 or 5 from clean to high gain...So I would prefer great sounds instead of a lot of programming parameters...

Hugues
post #40 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-25-2001, 11:49 AM

Quote:
I think in about ten or fifteen years the tube amp is for the museum.
Definately not so. They say the same thing about analog gear in studios.

Understand that digital offers great sound at reasonable prices. It is what allows us to make great home recordings without mortaging our house and kids...

Digital will only get better in the future as more exciting technologies are develloped.

But Analog will most certainly be around within the next 15 years because digital simply cannot reproduce the same warmth of natural tape compression...even with the best plug-ins. The same applies to modeling amps. As awesome as the Line6 products are, you cannot beat a natural, tube-compressed guitar signal.

If the $$$ was available would you buy a Mesa dual rect. or a Pod? I know the majority would pic the rect. 'cause it SOUNDS BETTER!!!

Just my 0.02$ worth
post #41 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-28-2001, 06:06 AM

Hi Pat7,
the question is who will produce tubes? And when, how much are they? How many people will pay the price?
post #42 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-31-2001, 08:44 PM

For live I once used a POD through the PA and the sound was awesome. Everyone in the band commented on the sound-good/great tones without huge volumes making monitoring of the rest of the band so much easier. Previously we'd taken a line out of the balanced output on the back of the amp-a MarshallV265R, and the sound 'out front' was tinny and waspish, altough the basic tone from the amp itself was/is very nice.
I know one alternative is to mike-up the amp's speakers, but with our setup this is not too practical.

POds are ok for recording, but I still can't find THE tone.

Guy
post #43 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-01-2001, 01:10 AM

well, i own a pod pro, and i must say that it is pretty cool, its easy to use and sounds great, but u cannot use it alone, at first its like a new toy, and it sounds great and u are amazed by the sounds u can get but with time u start to hear it become more and more fake, to really get what u need out of it u need an eq and a good effects processor like a tc electronics g-major or better. its a great preamp, but u need more to really get anything u want out of it
post #44 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-01-2001, 02:25 AM

Hey W. Merkert,
As long as there are companies like Mesa, Bogner, Cruise and Diezel and guitar players who buy those tone machines, there will be someone who manufactures tubes.
You know, what does Mesa do in the middle of all this digital modeling hype? Puts out the Road King that's got a bucketful of tubes in it...
post #45 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 07:34 AM

Hi everyone. If u want a kick-ass amp buy a Diezel. It is probably the best amp ever made. I also own a Pod Pro which i run through a Mesa 2:95 and with a little tweaking and a good eq (i use a TC1140 parametic eq) u can get very good results. In the states the diezel amp can be a little expensive so if u donīt have the cash buy a POD Pro and a mesa boogie poweramp...otherwise go for the Diezel

Tags
blue voodoo , clean tone , combo amp , dino cazares , dual rectifier , eric johnson , eric sands , fender hot rod , fender hot rod deluxe , guitar players , joe satriani , johnson millenium , les paul , les pauls , local music store , marshall amp , mesa boogie , mesa dual , music store , pod pro , power amp , richie kotzen , sam ash , solid state amp , solid state amps , speaker cab , steve vai , stomp box , tube amp , tube amps , tube combo , tube combo amp , tube power amp , tube tone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode