JP-2C John Petrucci Signature Mark IIC+ Official Demo - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 12:58 AM Thread Starter

JP-2C John Petrucci Signature Mark IIC+ Official Demo

Demo is out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEor...ature=youtu.be
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 03:04 AM

Re: JP-2C John Petrucci Signature Mark IIC+ Official Demo

I predict hundreds of Mark V owners selling their amps to get the new one and play the main riff from Pull Me Under even more precisely , with both parametric EQ's scooped all the way down in the mids like a reverse Flying V.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 08:15 PM

Reviews: 13

Judging by what Petrucci is doing with Music Man -- a new guitar model every year, even if he won't use it --, will we have a new Mesa model every year too?
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachmaninoff View Post
Judging by what Petrucci is doing with Music Man -- a new guitar model every year, even if he won't use it --, will we have a new Mesa model every year too?
yeah.. he's the steve vai of musicman, things he never got when with ibanez.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 01:41 AM

I think they've reached a point where Mesa couldn't use his name to sell as many Marks and TriAxis units anymore. They were probably waiting for the best moment, after releasing the Mark V:25 and 35. The CabClone fiasco might be related somehow.

Not saying that his amp isn't good. Don't get me wrong!

Being a Class AB amp without a rectifier tube, I'm expecting the JP-2C to be a lot more aggressive than the Mark V.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 02:24 AM

I have no idea of what mark2C+ capable of..

But I've been longing for markV-25..and now markV-35 for a while now.
those two just beyond my budget for amp.

So, any words why I should forget about mark-V and turning to Mark2C+ now?
is it any closer to get john skyes 'in the still of the night' tone?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 08:37 AM

Cab clone fiasco? I missed that
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 01:49 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
Cab clone fiasco? I missed that
Supposedly, it's a piece of crap. There were two online demos that I know of where the thing sounded horrible. One was Anderton's, and it was so bad, they sent a Mesa rep to them to redo the demo. Still didn't sound any better to me. I'm surprised they put it in this amp.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tearsx View Post
I think they've reached a point where Mesa couldn't use his name to sell as many Marks and TriAxis units anymore. They were probably waiting for the best moment, after releasing the Mark V:25 and 35. The CabClone fiasco might be related somehow.

Not saying that his amp isn't good. Don't get me wrong!

Being a Class AB amp without a rectifier tube, I'm expecting the JP-2C to be a lot more aggressive than the Mark V.
I would assume they were waiting for roughly when the new album came out, they might have been working on the amp for a few years, who knows.

To me anyway, I can't hear any massive difference if his tone on the latest album compared to the last few, granted he may of used his original IIC+ on a lot of the tracks, but you would still get a close enough tone with other mark series amps I reckon.

The biggest difference and probably the best thing about the amp imo is the midi and the channel layout. It looks like a very versatile amp that will cover a lot of ground.

Just to bad its sooooooo expensive here in OZ, the standard head retails at over $4200 USD here ($5999 AUD), oh well .
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 06:41 PM

Quote:
I predict hundreds of Mark V owners selling their amps to get the new one and play the main riff from Pull Me Under even more precisely , with both parametric EQ's scooped all the way down in the mids like a reverse Flying V.
I hope they do - I'd love to grab a Mark-V head to compliment my Roadster. I'd ALSO love to grab a Mark V 35 or Rectoverb 25 combo as a portable rig, so if I could get one at a solid discount used, it'd help a ton.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 12:15 AM

Feel free to disagree, but all of those amps (Mark II, V, V:25. V:35) sound beautiful when the parametric EQ is not engaged, including the TriAxis with the Dynamic Voice feature set at 0.

https://youtu.be/i0p-ks5xlnY?t=638

V-shaped sliders scare me and I spot them from far away.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Feel free to disagree, but all of those amps (Mark II, V, V:25. V:35) sound beautiful when the parametric EQ is not engaged, including the TriAxis with the Dynamic Voice feature set at 0.

I never set up my Mark V25 with a V taper, I actually boosted the upper mids a little.

I don't know how Petrucci gets his tone with it so scooped, I was running a V30 cab when I had my V25 and scooping the EQ sounded terrible.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 04:34 AM

Since Petrucci rarely uses his bridge pickup for lead playing, I think the scooped tone helps stop the neck pickup from going too honky. An Air Norton (or whatever his signature pickup is these days!) can get muddy quickly with too many mids.

That said, I've owned a TriAxis and the mids are very, very pronounced, the v shape EQ just helps add a little bite to the top end while stopping the mids getting too carried away. The Mark amps are a little odd when it comes to tweaking, they're not quite as easy to use as other amps (there's a great Petrucci video where he really explains the Mark series controls and how he uses them).

I've been keen on getting a Mark V:25 for a few months, but I have to say I quite like the idea of having two lead channels with an EQ on each - that said, I could probably just do the same thing with a single lead channel and a boost pedal.

The MIDI switching is a big deal though. It's one of the killer features of my old JVM and the Legacy III and it's about time Mesa put it on a Mark amp.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 01:34 PM

Quote:

The V-shaped thing is a metal rhythm guitar thing, and something Metallica is really behind. Crank the **** out of the midrange in the preamp to help saturate it, then cut it back with the classic Mesa V EQ. If you want a crushing rhythm tone, it's not a bad way to go.

For leads, though, I agree - I wouldn't even touch the 5-band EQ.

Tags
mesa boogie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode