JS1200 or JEM77BRMR? not a poll, a personal question - Page 2 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 10:05 AM

Re: JS1200 or JEM77BRMR? not a poll, a personal question

A JS neck is similar in some specs to a vintage'y strat, but slightly more shred-able. You will find it to have a rounder radius, be narrower and beefier than an RG neck. Go to a local store and play, say, a reissue strat. If you like how it plays, I would recommend the JS. The pickups can always be changed if needed, and you will have more variety between an RG1570 and a JS than betwen an RG1570 and a Jem.

Just my 0.02PLN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJEMMER777
Ah hem.....a 555 is NOT a real Jem...there is no comparision between the two as far a playability goes. Not a fair comparision to a JS.

You REALLY need to play a JEM

Then I'd like to see your opinion bro
Ahem, they only have the REAL Jems on special order. That means for them to order even one it, I'd have to buy it, and they're not exactly cheap, are they?
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze_1
they're not exactly cheap, are they?
Ah hem......I wouldn't know

Serously though - there's NO place out the...no music store, pawn show or anywhere you can get your paws on a Jem??

That kinda bites!
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 09:00 AM

Reviews: 2

I owned a brand new JS1000, but I kept going back to My RG570 (Wizard II) and RGR570 (Reverse headstocked SuperWizard). The neck feel on a JS is very different than general RG based guitars:
-The Multiradius neck (not Compound fretboard, you don't get that on production JS's) is thicker in the lower register and flatter in the high register.
-The radius of the freatboard is a lot smaller on JS (250mm) compared to RG (400-430mm), resulting in a much rounder freatboard on the JS and a much flatter one on the RG's/Jems.

I just couldn't get used to the neck of the JS, wich is much more like a fender strat. I felt like my hand was backed to fit an RG neck. I just got a JEM7DBK in stead (still have to post pics). This one has a unique neck among JEMS, it's alot like a SuperWizard, wich means it is flatter and more D shaped in stead of C shaped compared to the Wizard II.

Genreally due to this smaller fretboard radius on a js, you can't get action as low as on a flatter freatboard radius because choking of bent string will kick in faster.

As for the pickups, the Fred has considerable less output than a breed and certainly an evolution.

So sound in combination with neck-feel, you might be in for a real surprise when you buy a JS1200 (at least I was). so my advice since you own an RG now : don't buy a JS before you've played one !
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 09:15 AM

I think the 2 guitars, particulaly the necks, are so different that you really have to try them both to make a decision that is right for you

I used to have a DBK, and thought it was great. I've tried a JS1200 in a store and I loved that too. If I had to choose now I'd probably go for the JS
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-27-2006, 09:30 AM

Js 1200 är mer prisvärd. Skitsnygg med!
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 01:59 AM

Personally, I like the JS. Totally different guitar from an RG/JEM, but nevertheless, they are very nice.
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 09:14 PM

Reviews: 18
Smile Re: JS1200 or JEM77BRMR? not a poll, a personal question

They're 2 different types of beasts, however......

The Jem is, in one word.......LOUD. The shape is going to play a major part upon your decision. Hold a Jem and play one, and then play a JS and you'll see the difference from an ergonomics point of view. the JS is extremely comfortable to play and it is incredibly light. The main advantage of the Jem is that the neck profile is very thin and people tend to feel that because of that, the guitar sort of wants to play itself.

Personally, I used to be a strat kind of guy and then I bought a yamaha that had an RG style body with a neck that is pretty much as close to a Jem neck (thickness wise) as you could get. I have played a few JS's and I think they're incredible in terms of feel, tone and comfort. When I got the JS2PRM, I was just amazed at how it played. as you can imagine, my vote goes for the JS.

However, depending upon the style of music and what your influences are, that could play another role in your decision.
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-03-2006, 03:14 PM

THE JEM

Tags
basswood bodies , fender strat , fretboard radius , jem neck , music store , neck pickup , output pickup , paf joe , paf pro , reverse headstock , rosewood board , rosewood boards , standard jem , super strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode