JS1200 or JEM77BRMR? not a poll, a personal question - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Arrow JS1200 or JEM77BRMR? not a poll, a personal question

Hey guys

Time for a new guitar soon. (soon is a relative word)
I was thinking something like a JS1200 (killer looks and supposed to sound awesome) or a JEM77BRMR (also really killer looks, and breed pups too).
The problem is, I live in Sweden, and I haven't seen a single JS(over 100) here. At least not in Stockholm. But I've played the JEM7DBK (something like that, the one with breed pups and the weird black finish + mirror pickguard)
I got a RG1570 with evos on it, and though that one's basswood and the 7VWH is alder it still would feel sort of buying something with the same sound.
I've got a bit tired of the evos now. I guess i haven't found any real kickass amp to play it in, that's why i've gotten tired of it.
Okay, back to topic..

I haven't really played a JS, i only kind of ASSUME they are good, from what I've read here (yes, i mean good for my playing, not just overall good ).
But I don't really dare to take that chance, that i might not like it.
But as i said earlier, I've played the JEM7DBK, which also is a breed JEM, and taking a guess that the neck is somewhat alike the 77BRMR one, and all the JEM I've played have felt really good.
I would like to hear comments from people who got either a JS1200 or a JEM77BRMR, and give me the pros and cons.
And comparing the sound maybe.. And try to convince me that the JS/JEM sounds better/badder so i can decide if it's better to wait for a JS to sow up or go for something i know is really good, but don't know how the one compared to it is at all!

Sorry if there's bad grammar somewhere, i totally stopped talking to all the international MSN buddies sometime before summer, so i haven't really been an active english-speaker ( <---- Oh my god! that sounds completely horrible! i just can't come up with something better!)

Regards

//Christopher
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 05:42 PM

Re: JS1200 or JEM77BRMR? not a poll, a personal question

Well - I dont have either, but I've played both. For me the JS just doesnt have the playability that the Jem has. Something about the neck. But then again, I am used to playing Jems so maybe that's it. The JS DO have very nice tone, but so does the Jem.

Get the JEM
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Heh, i'd figure you saying that (by the name )
Yeah, the JS doesn't have the all-access neck, if I'm right..
But let's say i buy the JEM (no dammit, I'm absolutey not convinced yet! try harder), do you think i can achieve some tiny tiny fragment of that killer JS tone in the 1570 if i change the pups to a FRED and a Paf Joe? Please, tell me that's possible, i would love to have both ( with one really lacking the looks though)
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 06:09 PM

Lol....

Correct the JS does not have the AANJ - but that wasn't what I was talking about. It just has different neck specs and I don't like the feel as much. Again, maybe just because I'm more used to the feel of Jem necks. As far as getting the tone - they both have Basswood bodies w/rosewood boards so a switch round of pups should do the trick. But the breeds are pretty sweet pups as well. If you played the Dbk and liked it you should like the BRMR as well. I think its the same neck. A bit thinner than other Jems.

Get the Jem
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Okay, i guess you got me
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio
Okay, i guess you got me
It's the only logical choice.....or your too easy
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

I'd choose both alternatives
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 06:23 PM

the js plays like a super strat . The neck is compound radius so the lower frets fell a little more rounded like a strat and the higher frets feel more like a traditional ibanez.

I played the js and fell in love myself. I played a jem777 at the same store, and didn't like it too much but i have since gotten into liking a bit thicker neck.

I dont know the specs for the bad horsie guitar, i am assuming that they are the same as a standard jem, and the jem's neck is i belive fairly close to the wizard 2 , which you can find on all the rg models below presitige
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 10:17 PM

I will pick the Jem any day over a JS, but the JS1200 is alot cheaper
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 10:22 PM

I haven't played a REAL Jem (555) 'cause the local dealer only has them for 'special order'. Luckily they have a JS. They had the 1000 in stock, but not the 1200. They're both the same except for the neck pickup, colour, hardware. It was THE best guitar I've ever played. The neck, the shape, and most importantly, the SOUND. It was just friggin' awesome. I became a PAF Pro fan ever since then.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 11:00 PM

The jem ... just got one but not a BRMR
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze_1
I haven't played a REAL Jem (555) 'cause the local dealer only has them for 'special order'.
Ah hem.....a 555 is NOT a real Jem...there is no comparision between the two as far a playability goes. Not a fair comparision to a JS.

You REALLY need to play a JEM

Then I'd like to see your opinion bro
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 06:25 PM

I didn't really like the JS i tried. It didn't suit me at all. It was more of a blues guitar then a metal guitar (which is what i play). It's like a lower output pickup and such.

I'd go for the Jem, just because i found the JS harder to play with (bigger neck, less frets, etc).
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 07:54 PM

I have a JS1200 and it is awesome. The tone is perfect and my fingers just fly on the fretboard. I can play Eruption 10x easier than on my ESP DV8-R. You'll most likely love it and it is cheaper. And it can be a great metal guitar, just have a good amount of distortion :-/

Not saying the JEM is bad though, if you have the money than go for it.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 08:45 AM

No contest IMHO- go for the JEM. Both are great guitars, though and you can't go wrong with either.

Tags
basswood bodies , fender strat , fretboard radius , jem neck , music store , neck pickup , output pickup , paf joe , paf pro , reverse headstock , rosewood board , rosewood boards , standard jem , super strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode