Js1200 vs RG8270 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Arrow Js1200 vs RG8270

Okay, I'm thinking a JS1200 or a RG8270.

First off, A couple Questions 'bout the JS:
I jsut can't find someplace that says how thick the neck is, and how wide and stuff. How is it compared to a JEM neck? fast? smooth? thin? wide?
Post what you think about it compared to a JEM or Wizard neck

And for the sounds:
How do they sound like? the JS is basswood, and in Satch's hands sounds heavenly, with a Peavey JSX amp and some effects. I've never even heard a J Custom. All i know is what pups it has and that it's mahogany.

Anyway, I just can't seem to make up my mind here, what to buy. I currently have a 1570 with evos, which i guess sounds okay, but still i don't think the basswood can handle the evos.
Care to help me out here? post the pros and cons of the two guitars (or some other similar guitar that looks and sounds as nice). I could include the JEM7VWH in this, but nah, I'm a bit tired of that thingie.

Come on now, go for it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 07:49 PM

Re: Js1200 vs RG8270

JS neck will be more like a strat neck, beefier, with more radius than any RG/Jem neck/ Effectively you would feel like the fretboard is "narrower" and there is less string spacing. If you like strat necks, you will probably like the JS.

Btw, didn't you already post something similar, and didn't I write something exactly like i did above earlier? Aah, whatever, not like I have anything better to do...except sleep I guess.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

maybe I did :S

But i guess i don't have anything better to do than posting these questions so you can answer 'em.

Ah well, I'm off to bed now at least. There's really nothing to do at 3 am if you already are at home
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 04:10 PM

the j-custom would be my choice.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 12:16 PM

hey Fabio, i found something you may be interested in:

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showth...873#post443873

apparently they have one at www.lamusic.ca - a CANADIAN music store!

-K
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 06:50 AM

Hey,

If you can get your hands on one of these do it. I actually bought the very same guitar posted in this forum from La Music in Missisauga. Its a beautiful peice of workmanship. My good friend Dave made my other guitar, and even he admits this is a nicely luthiered instrument. SO much natural tone and character. Seriously unbelieveable catch to grab one of the few made. Previously I owned an early 90's RG 570 modded with emg pickups... seriously it took my guitar from toy to tool.

Check out http://www.myspace.com/a4wmusic
The songs are recorded one take live off the floor (except vocals) I use a different pickup on each track, and switch a lot within each song as well. The guitar is played through an Orange Rockverb 100 through an Orange 4x12 with vintage 30's. No OD or distortion effects, just delay and mild modulation effects.

Hope your hunt is one day sucessful as mine was!

Ryan Clifford
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Oh my! I had totally forgotten about this thread!

Yeah, well.. Decided I wouldn't go with the JS or the J-Custom, at least not by then.

Notice that the thread started 2005

This is what happened, long story short.

I think my GAS kinda settled after a while, but then like POOF, appeared a custom LGM on the sales side of this forum. Actually Stu's custom RG and I grabbed it, a real impulse.

I held that guitar for about 6 months, but I was never really satisfied with it. Mostly because it was a thin one piece really soft maple neck without any finish, it was very easily affected by the weather. One day the neck was perfect, the other day the action was like 5 mm differing. I tried alot of options to get it to work, but ended up seeing it as too much of a problem as it was my only guitar at the time and I was (Still am) attending a music school using my guitars almost every day so all the issues with it made me in the end go up half an hour earlier every morning to mess with the truss rod.

And then, POOF! Came a new offer, a Jem7RB -88, offered here in Sweden for only like 1200:-. It was kind of beaten up, I've posted pics of it in the "What's your favorite JEM/UV?" thread going on. I got that one by selling off the LGM way underpriced, but at least to a decent, caring guitarist.

Now, a couple of months ago I fixed my RG1570 that I've so brutally butchered right before buying the LGM, fitted a sustainer in it just because that one was by some reason lying around and I had to try it. Will find a camera to post pics of it someday. It's kinda cool, actually.

But now I'm up for the search again. For a J-Custom I think. Really liking the Deep Red finish, plus I've always wanted a red guitar. So maybe I'll go with one of those, more common J-Customs. Like Rich has one in for the moment.

Ah, we'll see. I don't know yet, I have to get a keyboard as well, as posted in another thread.

Christopher
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 05:28 PM

Good luck on your search for the j-custom. You won't regret it. I had a red one up for sale around Christmas time and it eventually went to a fellow jemsiter (Oliver).
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

J-custom, j-custom, j-custom.. But first the Cornford Carrera... Or the j-custom first...

Tags
jem neck , maple neck , music store , peavey jsx , truss rod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode