JSX Combo vs Head - Page 2 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 10:19 PM

Re: JSX Combo vs Head

Depends upon your living situation as well.. If you're a musician that's already made it to a degree, and you are touring right now, the head and cab would be nice. If you're 45 and it's past your time, but you have a lotta money and a sound proof room, i'd probably go for the head/cab. But if you're a college student like me who gigs maybe once a week, and can't have too much noise because of roommates, go for a combo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Yup - college student as well, hoping to gig more once I graduate. Combo seems like a better fit.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heffergm View Post
To be honest, I've always thought the head/cab setup is just a whole lot cooler than a combo.
+1

You just don't get that "oomph", even at lower volumes.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post
Yeah but, that's another different debate. It's a P.I.T.A. to haul the head, cab and whatever else when you can carry the combo, stick it in the trunk and you're done. Most musicians these days don't really use the head/cab combination. Don't get me wrong, I wish I had a JSX half stack in addition to my 212 but, having a combo is just more functional IMO.

Jimmy

I don't really see that as the case in this instance. The JSX combo weighs nearly as much as the head plus my 2x12. And the head/cab are separate which makes them easier, for me, to haul around.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-28-2007, 04:28 AM

I went the head/212 route because aside from being much easier to move, I also don't have to worry about the speakers shaking the tubes apart, not to mention the heat buildup inside a tube combo amp. Someone, I think it was Bob at Eurotubes said that combo amps were tube torture chambers.

Tags
combo amp , jsx combo , jsx head , tube combo , tube combo amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode