Is the JSX Head any Good for METAL!!!!! - Page 2 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 11:17 PM

Re: Is the JSX Head any Good for METAL!!!!!

I use my JSX for everything from crystal clear classical to HOT hair metal, but I don't venture into "brutal" territory much...It will pull out some insane harmonics though. I'm currently waiting for a big payment to come in so I can get a Powerball though...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-29-2007, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

I've actually been wondering over the last few days if i should wait a bit longer,save a bit more cash and get a Powerball myself.

I know that the Fireball will give me my ideal crushing METAL tone but the Powerball will do that and more and it's also got the noise gate built in.

It's tempting!
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-29-2007, 11:49 AM

You can get a decent metal tone out of the JSX, but it's hard to get away from that harsh high end. I actually like the crunch channel for both lead and solo work, the mids stand out more and doesn't sound as fuzzy as the ultra channel.
post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-29-2007, 03:17 PM

I use the JSX crunch channel 90% of the time. With the channel volume up full and the master on 6-7, it will knock your legs out from under you at an outdoor gig. I keep the gain at about 4.5 to 5. A Sparkle Drive set at half clean / half drive pushes it over the edge of insanity. I amost bought a JCM800 and considered a 5150+ until I heard the JSX cleans.

~Scott
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-29-2007, 03:40 PM
Banned

Maybe it's just me, I'm still trying to find out what the JSX can't do.....

It's the perfect all around amp. Best thing about it, all you need to go with that amp is a guitar. No pedals, no effects, no overdrives, just pure tube crunch.
post #21 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-29-2007, 03:53 PM

Reviews: 3

Sorry I'm a Marshall guy myself. I have a friend that has the JSX, but I've never played through one. You might just want to get an overdrive or distortion pedal anyway.
post #22 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-01-2007, 04:13 PM

I actually re EQ-ed my JSX this weekend and took the Sonic Stomp out of the loop and put in an MXR 10 band EQ. Boosted the low mids and cut the very upper highs and this thing was sounding great playing Nevermore Tunes
and some DT "Glass Moon". With the loop on and levels dimed, the Ultra channel with the gain at 12:00 noon with my clean boost in front, running thru my HotPlate this amp sounded great!
This amp doesn't sound like a Mesa (recto or mark) it's got it's own voicing.
Plenty heavy though!

Last edited by kmanick; 10-06-2007 at 12:13 AM.
post #23 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-05-2007, 08:45 PM

Sure the JSX has enough gain to do metal, but it isn't the best at it. Metal is Mesa Boogie's middle name!
post #24 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-07-2007, 11:45 PM

noise gate on jsx? what noisegate.. theres a noise gate knob.. thats it..

if you wanna sound good at a low - mid volume get a jsx.. if u wanna get lost in the mix get a jsx.. ( i know im an @$$, but i dont see what everyone on here raves about them for.. i almost bought one and i regret how close i was to getting it.. if i was playing in a quieter band i would enjoy it.. but not for metal)
post #25 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 08:13 AM

Reviews: 18

The JSX is not for everyone, especially all those folks who like to sound like everyone else.

Jimmy
post #26 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 08:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun View Post
noise gate on jsx? what noisegate.. theres a noise gate knob.. thats it..

if you wanna sound good at a low - mid volume get a jsx.. if u wanna get lost in the mix get a jsx.. ( i know im an @$$, but i dont see what everyone on here raves about them for.. i almost bought one and i regret how close i was to getting it.. if i was playing in a quieter band i would enjoy it.. but not for metal)

This post makes little sense to me. If it sounds good at low volume. Then it sounds good. If your amp is as loud as the human voice. It's loud enough. That's what mics and PA's are for. Unless you're going to be in a garage band and not gig your whole life. then I guess you need a LOUD amp just to hear yourself over a garage band drummer that never learned how to play at a reasonable level. Then again. there are methods to dampen drums. If your giggin, you should be using In-ear monitors anyway.

Listen people.
YOUR AMP DOES NOT NEEEEED TO BE LOUD!!!!
If you can't hear yourself, you probably have the amp behind you, pointing at the back of your legs. Thats retarded if your practicing anyway, unless you have ears behind your knees.
I have done alot of giggin. Opened for a few national touring bands. I have a big rock star friend. With all this. I have never seen the anyone play loud on stage. (edit) with the exception of the Maroon 5 guitar, had his Marshall ALL the way up pointing backwards off the back of an outdoor stage.

John Petrucci does not play loud. His amp is very low level on stage. I know the guy that mixes DT. He told me himself. JP plays as low as possible but just loud enough to get the tone he wants. And he mics his cabs with 2 SM57's.

A voice is loud enough to be picked up and amplified for thousands to hear. An amp just as loud is plenty fine. You could gig with a JSX Mini Col. and do fine.

Now check this out. Instead of spending endless thousands on rack gear, high watt loud guitar heads and 2 4x12s. Buy an amp that sounds good, buy a PA, and use it at practice.

Later, Darin

True the JSX inst for everyone. There are people that feel the need to spend more $$ for amps with unusable gain. The JSX is a good clean amp. It takes pedals VERY well. You can coax just about any tone you can imagine out of it. Throw an EQ pedal in the loop, and you'll go crazy deciding which great tone to use.

However, with all that said. I demo'd a JSX combo at GC. And I didn't like it at all. Must have been something wrong with it. But then. i don't like combos personally. I like to have my head right near me when I'm playing so I can make adjustments if I need to, and my cab way off the back of the stage, pointing backwards at that. Because again. I'm not listening to my cab. I'm listening to what the mic is picking up, and adjusting the head accordingly.
post #27 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post
This post makes little sense to me. If it sounds good at low volume. Then it sounds good. If your amp is as loud as the human voice. It's loud enough. That's what mics and PA's are for. Unless you're going to be in a garage band and not gig your whole life. then I guess you need a LOUD amp just to hear yourself over a garage band drummer that never learned how to play at a reasonable level. Then again. there are methods to dampen drums. If your giggin, you should be using In-ear monitors anyway.

Listen people.
YOUR AMP DOES NOT NEEEEED TO BE LOUD!!!!
If you can't hear yourself, you probably have the amp behind you, pointing at the back of your legs. Thats retarded if your practicing anyway, unless you have ears behind your knees.
I have done alot of giggin. Opened for a few national touring bands. I have a big rock star friend. With all this. I have never seen the anyone play loud on stage. (edit) with the exception of the Maroon 5 guitar, had his Marshall ALL the way up pointing backwards off the back of an outdoor stage.

John Petrucci does not play loud. His amp is very low level on stage. I know the guy that mixes DT. He told me himself. JP plays as low as possible but just loud enough to get the tone he wants. And he mics his cabs with 2 SM57's.

hes playing metal not a classic rock cover band.. you need a loud amp if your drummer hits hard, and the majority of metal drummers do. most people dont use in-ear monitors, and some people can't have their amp mic'd at rehearsal.. most drummers are not going to dampen their drums or have a practice kit..

tell 'the guy that mixes DT' i said hey.
post #28 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post
Good point to bring up. JP even mentioned this in a recent interview.
post #29 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 08:27 AM
Banned

guess I think its just silly to be playing that loud, though I remember doing it myself. be warned, that drummer that dosnt use light sticks. tape the heads or whatever, will killl you ears. get the drummer a drum shield. you guys can pitch in and help him buy it. it's an investment in you ears, and in your not having to buy more 4x12,s.
post #30 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-10-2007, 06:10 PM

the volume where I thought the jsx went to sh*t wasnt all that high.. i found a cheap set of earplugs that doesnt sound too bad.. just cuts a bit of volume and the high freq's from cymbals (mainly)

Tags
angus young , bass response , bbe sonic , bbe sonic stomp , boost pedal , combo amp , death metal , distortion pedal , dual rectifier , guitar players , heavy metal , john petrucci , jsx combo , jsx head , kerry king , mesa boogie , mesa boogie mark , mesa dual , midi controller , parker fly , parker fly deluxe , peavey classic , peavey jsx , peavey xxx head , power amp , sonic stomp , stomp box , string guitars , tight bass , triple rectifier , versatile amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode