Is the JSX Head any Good for METAL!!!!! - Page 3 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 12:54 PM

Re: Is the JSX Head any Good for METAL!!!!!

THing about the JSX that narcs me is that the level going from preamp to poweramp really does not do the amp justice. If you patch the fx loop and use it to boost the weak signal normally passing from one to the other it brings the amp to life and you finally hear what 120w should sound like, otherwise it is ridiculously quiet for a 120w amp.

Now with the patch trick, it has balls.

Can it do metal? Yes. It can. You just have to realise it's not going to sound like a recto, or like a 5150. It's a crisp amp. No flabbiness unless you really hit the resonance and bass controls. Basically this thing will nail meshuggah like sounds with ease with just a few tweaks from neutral. The crunch channel is awesome. I do like this amp despite initially having misgivings about. Plus it does a great lead tone. But, you need to ram the power amp and give it some balls, otherwise it just doesn't fire on all cylinders.

Plus the clean channel is good once you slap in some effects, otherwise it's very dry, but that more because it needs to be if you are going to colour it.

One bad thing is the footswitch cable, it's fragile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun View Post
hes playing metal not a classic rock cover band.. you need a loud amp if your drummer hits hard, and the majority of metal drummers do. most people dont use in-ear monitors, and some people can't have their amp mic'd at rehearsal.. most drummers are not going to dampen their drums or have a practice kit..
Bang on. Drummers that hit hard mean you just have to turn up. Drummers that hit hard do sound good though!
post #33 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 05:05 PM

Every band I've seen where the guitarist used a little amp and relied on the PA to get his volume sounded atrociously bad. There are certain frequencies (mainly low-end) that come out of a large cabinet that just can't be made up for by relying simply on the soundman and the PA.

Case in point:

I saw Kenny Wayne Shepherd this past May, and he was using a little Fender Vibroverb combo (one 15" speaker!) for a crowd of 5,000+. The result was a tone that sounded as if he were playing through a transistor radio.

Additionally, I have the pleasure to see Eric Gales on a very frequent basis. The first time I saw him play, he was playing through a Peavey XXX head with a 4x10" cabinet (quite an odd amp for a bluesman). His sound was great. He had a very full tone. However, the very next weekend I saw him at the same venue, with the same soundman. Although this time, he was playing through a little Hot Rod Deville combo. The result, as with Kenny Wayne, was a tinny, thin sound that had no bottom end.

Sure, if you're playing a small club gig, then a small amp is fine (and probably a better choice). But attempting to get a thick tone with a little combo isn't going to happen. There's only so much that a PA can do.

How were those legendary tones of early Cream, Zeppelin, and AC/DC made? I assure they weren't created through a little dinky combo turned up 1/4 of the volume.
post #34 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylay00 View Post
There are certain frequencies (mainly low-end) that come out of a large cabinet that just can't be made up for by relying simply on the soundman and the PA.
The guitar isn't intended to supply both the low and high end in a mix. I've noticed a lot of people that try to dial in a heavy, deep bassy sound in recordings usually end up sounding extremely muddy. That's what the bass is for. It'll add all the low end the guitar doesn't provide.
post #35 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 06:45 PM

True, but I'm talking about the guitar itself, not the band as a whole. Bass or not, you still don't want your guitar to sound like a transistor radio. Regardless, the bass still wouldn't make up for those lost frequencies.
post #36 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 06:55 PM

I see what you're saying. Maybe both of them had crappy mic placement when you saw them live? Not sure how you can say you can't get a thick tone out of a combo amp? I was going to buy a Mesa DC-5 combo and was able to dial in a thicker tone than I could get with a JSX paired with matching cab.

The only advantage of a cabinet is pushing more air and slightly better bass response. I find 2x12 cabs to be tighter.
post #37 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 07:07 PM

Yeah, I guess it all comes down to pushing more air. It's really difficult to describe.
post #38 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 10:24 PM

The jsx is great for practically any sound you could ever want.

It has more than enough gain.

Its basically down to what sound your after mind but simply swapping pre amp and power amp tubes for something closer to what you want can usually resolve any OMG I GOT THE WRONG AMP issues

The EQ section on the jsx is just amazing mixed with the resonance and presance controls you literally can get any sound you want from this amp

If it doesnt give everything you want an extra EQ stomp box will resolve any issues

I run mine with JJ 6L6GC power amp tubes and JJ 3x ECC803 1 for clean 1 for the ultra channel and 1 to power them.

The ECC803 give me that real tight bass sound for faster articlate sounding riffs and they have silly amounts of gain

I use Electro Harmonic 12AX7 for the crunch channel this gives me a deep looser sound great for vintage sounds and i get a decent dimebag type sound from it aswell

from my experience you can get basically any sound you want from any amp with just a mixture or the right valves and EQ + guitar the only difference is some amps give certain things easier

ie if you want a mesa type sound getting a mesa is the easiest way to get that sound but you can still get very close to it with other amps

This is why i love the jsx it has all the sounds within it with just a few presets and the switch of a channel i can get everything from Jazz/Blues cleans all the way upto Thrash/Speed metal/Death metal not to mention classic sounds like the Brown Sound or Angus Young tones

i just read this back and i sound like a right fan boy haha :P

anyway i hope this ramble comes close to helping anybody trying to decide on a JSX it really is the dogs danglies

just to add i play a 7 string through it and yeah its great

Last edited by grusum; 10-14-2007 at 02:13 PM.
post #39 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarmiester View Post
The guitar isn't intended to supply both the low and high end in a mix. I've noticed a lot of people that try to dial in a heavy, deep bassy sound in recordings usually end up sounding extremely muddy. That's what the bass is for. It'll add all the low end the guitar doesn't provide.
I agree, a lot of guitar players try to sound as if there was no bass player. You should find a tone that fits well with the bassist's tone. Too much bass can lead to covering up the bass'ist and or being lost in the mix.

However, regarding to the comment you quoted, I do think that a guitar tone should come from speakers meant for a guitar, and then be pushed with the p.a.
to a reasonable extent, depending on the gig situation.
post #40 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-13-2007, 01:07 PM

I just put KT-77's into mine (had EL-34's) and I'm liking this amp even more now. It's crunchier sounding and the mids are less prominant and smoother.
My Carvin 7 and my Blackjack 7 sound great thru this thing more.
pleeeeeeenty heavy (with a clean boost in front it rips!)
post #41 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 06:46 PM
Banned

Here's a nice JSX clip I made a while back on my JSX review.

Played on my PRS Tremonti SE

http://www.christianbattleofthebands...0tuned%201.mp3

another clip. This one with Prestige 2620

http://www.christianbattleofthebands...%20WET%201.mp3
post #42 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 01:18 AM
Banned

My JSX Youtube vid...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn8bImfJGiY
post #43 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 01:12 PM

Are the KT-77s good for a metal sound out of the Jsx? And where can I order them?

Tags
angus young , bass response , bbe sonic , bbe sonic stomp , boost pedal , combo amp , death metal , distortion pedal , dual rectifier , guitar players , heavy metal , john petrucci , jsx combo , jsx head , kerry king , mesa boogie , mesa boogie mark , mesa dual , midi controller , parker fly , parker fly deluxe , peavey classic , peavey jsx , peavey xxx head , power amp , sonic stomp , stomp box , string guitars , tight bass , triple rectifier , versatile amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode