JSX Mod? Unusable Ultra channel? Not anymore. - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Banned

JSX Mod? Unusable Ultra channel? Not anymore.

Ok, where do I start? I did a full JSX review a while back.

Here it is.
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showth...ghlight=Review

Any clips in the review hosted on the "chriswoowardmusic" server are gone, as is my server space there. If you click them, they will not work.

Now, many people that have demo'ed the JSX hate it because it can be a bit buzzy/fizzy on the lead channel. I never used the Ultra channel, it was unusable for anything, even with the gain rolled down to almost off.

I broke a few pot shafts transporting the head recently. I got those pot replaced. I asked the guy if he could just make the Ultra channel the SAME as the Crunch channel. Then I'd have 2 crunch channels I could run at different levels and gain settings, which makes a much better lead channel than the ultra. Thicker smoother distortion. He said he'd look at it. What he found was, the major difference was not much more than the gain POT. The gain pot on the Ultra was a 1meg and the gain pot on the Crunch is a 50k. He found an old 50k Peavey gain pot laying around, replaced the Ultra gain pot with it. Oh dear. Now, not just a usable channel. but a freakin KILLER channel. It's a tad thinner than the crunch channel, which is WAY cool for the Strat and my daughters unusually thick toned Schecter. The JSX tends to be on the 'thick' side tonally.

Now my JSX is what I wanted it to be when I bought, 3 usable channels. Here's the great part. I use a Blues Driver, BD-2 on the clean with teensy weense amount of gain, just so it's not clean. The BD-2 is nice and transparent for that. Now, kick on the BD-2 while on either gain channel and stand back brother.

Here's a clip I just made. It's about 2 mins long mp3, just a guitar. Just the JSX with no EQ added. A little verb in Cubase to wetten it up a tad. It's only the Ultra Channel. Guitars in order, G&L Legacy (strat like), PRS Tremonti SE, and Fender Tele. The first half is gain at about 9 o'clock then turned up to about 2 o'clock then back for the tele. There is vibration at one point from mic against the Carvin Legacy's metal grill, ignore that if you would.

But for those that have had the same problem with the unusable Ultra channel, this may interest you.

The clip is here:
http://www.christianbattleofthebands...gain%20pot.mp3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 04:58 PM

Re: JSX Mod? Unusable Ultra channel? Not anymore.

the link no work! btw, why isn't ur daughter on jemsite??
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Fixed. No she's not.
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Banned

But here she is.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Both my daughters, one on bass, one on guitar.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Banned

She even lets ME play my PRS from time to time.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 05:46 PM

i LOVE that PRS. i really want one bad. how much are they??

was she playing for in a band in that pic?? that's cool if she's in a band.. i'm trying to make one. but none of my friends want to commit.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Banned

They are under $500. $488 locally. www.wrays.com has a Black Tremonti in there now.

Yes they were in a band at the time. It was a temp band they threw together for the event. But they sounded great.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 06:23 PM

I always felt that the ultra gain channel was awesome for legato and certain things, one of the highest gain channels obviously available. I hear theirs a revision of it in the works, but i really liked the amp as a whole . I mean kudos to you for getting the sound you want obviously though.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post
They are under $500. $488 locally. www.wrays.com has a Black Tremonti in there now.

Yes they were in a band at the time. It was a temp band they threw together for the event. But they sounded great.
i've thrown together a band liek that before. Funny tho, i had only met the drummer the night before the gig.... lol. we had one practice... we weren't too bad.

you should get ur daughter on here. as far as i know, it's just me and waylay who are the young teens here...
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 08:09 PM

God dammit!!! double post!!
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo1299 View Post
as far as i know, it's just me and waylay who are the young teens here...
And me!
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex10 View Post
And me!
oh right lol. remember, she's mine
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 09:53 PM

Reviews: 18

Nice mod Darin, I'm glad to hear that you were able to mod the amp the way you wanted. I personally have done sort of the opposite with my combo. I've found myself playing the ultra channel with very little gain and leaving the crunch a little thinner tonewise for more jazz/blues kind of stuff.

I really dug the demo, it's always good to hear your recordings with that JSX. Now I've gotta plug my Crystal Planet and record some stuff with the GT-Pro.

Jimmy
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-29-2007, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post
Nice mod Darin, I'm glad to hear that you were able to mod the amp the way you wanted. I personally have done sort of the opposite with my combo. I've found myself playing the ultra channel with very little gain and leaving the crunch a little thinner tonewise for more jazz/blues kind of stuff.

I really dug the demo, it's always good to hear your recordings with that JSX. Now I've gotta plug my Crystal Planet and record some stuff with the GT-Pro.

Jimmy
How does the Crystal P. sound compared to the JS1000? Looking forward to hearing it.

Tags
andy timmons , bridge pup , crystal planet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode