JSX stack or combo - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 03:35 AM Thread Starter

JSX stack or combo

hehe, been lookin at buying a JSX amp, and still not sure if the combo or stack is better going with.

With the stack, the one i could get is actually signed by satriani (on the head, cab, and on the authenticity certificate) and is around $4500 (AUS).

Yes, the fkn thing goes loud as hell, sounds great (imo) and i really like it.

On the other hand is the JSX combo, retails at $3500 (wont be in AUS till some time in december.
The thing is, for what I need an amp for (the band) a few people recommended the combo, for its size its fine.
The only problem i can see is that later on if I want the stack and want the JSX one, it will seem stupid I got the combo then the stack.

so yea, what would u recommend? :P

cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 04:04 AM

Re: JSX stack or combo

there both about the right price and of course the more expensive it is the better it is, in this case. So get whatever you can really afford, and will use. Personaly, I would get the stack.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 06:03 PM

Why not get the head and get yourself a 2x12 cab???

I played a signed JSX head that a guy bought from the Sydney show. Nice amp indeed.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 06:22 PM

I have a JSX head with a Marshall 9x12 cab.

I LOVE 9x12a now, they're perfectly portable and sound just as big as my mates 4x12.

He bought a JSX recently and at band rehearsal this Sat we'll test them out (him with a 4x12, me with a 2x12) So i'll give you a comparison of the stage prescence divide.

I'd definitely get the stack, or a XXX 2x12 cab if you think this would be more suited for you.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Well :P

The entire package (head and cab) is $4500.
I have found a place that sells the head for $2366 and I could get the XXX cab for about $1100
So that would be around $3466, which is cheaper than the combo (which i would now have to wait till january for, my gtr teacher told me)

But yea, ill definatly give the 9x12 a look :P
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 07:11 PM

9x12? lol that sounds like a beast
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

oh **** :P 2x12 soz, 9x12 would be bigger than those original cabs townshend had marshall make :P
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 07:58 PM

depends on the money, IMO I would get the combo, stay with it for a while and when I have enough money, i'd sell the combo and buy a stack.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 08:38 PM

..man, you guys are reading my mind, I'm wondering the same thing!...

...for my needs, I'm going with the cab because it's got the option of half power for smaller venues we'll play, essentially. It's also got the reverb, which is a nice option.

I tested out the head first...what I really like about these amps is how their eq's are so 'useable'...that is, the difference in numbers is noticeable, unlike some other amps.

I really love the look of the head, though....live, on stage, it must look awesome! I know that's not reason to buy any gear, but damn, I just love the look of it!...the combo looks like it's nerdier cousin!

Oh well, versatility first for me...until I can afford the musician headplugs and save my hearing trying to open up the power section tubes!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 12:33 PM

i tried both the combo and then head (into a classic 4x12 and a xxx 4x12) and they were noticebly different animals. i didn't like the 2x12 tones at all. to me, it seemed the 2x12 didn't react or sound anything like the head does into a 4x12. the amp was designed originally as a head i believe and the sound just didn't "open up" as well with the 2x12 design. some of it is not having the bigger, fuller sound of the cab but the amp just didn't seem sound the same. sorry i can't put my finger on it better than that but i would definitely try them both for yourself before you spend that kind of dough. just my 2cents.

Music is something bigger and greater than myself and I'm just glad to be a part of it. -TJ

A wise man once told me, "never discuss politics or religion in a disco enviroment" -Frank Zappa
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 08:03 PM

Go for the combo. You can use it for smaller venues and then combine it with a decent 2 x 12 for the bigger venues. I do this with my Rivera R55 (1x12 combo)and it works really well. Plus a stack can freak Landlords out at pub gigs!!

Tags
jsx combo , jsx head

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode