JSX or Supersonic - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

JSX or Supersonic

I'm trying to decide between a JSX and Fender Supersonic. I have played them both and like them equally. I know they're very different amps but I really like the tone they each produce. On one hand, the JSX had a variety of british tones and seems to easily handle even the most brutal sounds; on the other hand, the Supersonic does the Fender clean thing and has a really cool and unique sounding overdrive. It also has some great reverb.

As far as the kind of music I play it's kind of like Satriani and Michael Schenker. I like to play Maiden, Metallica and Lamb of God that kind of thing but mostly Satch and Shenker instrumental kind of thing.

I know the Supersonic isn't a metal amp but I've tried it out with OD's and it seems very suitable for thrash.

This is probably dumb situtation but I know if I buy one amp I'll wish I got the other. Right now I'm leaning towards the JSX because of 2 reasons:

1. I've read some things where people say the Supersonic falls apart at high vols.

2. In Guitar Center among loud players the Supersonic doesn't seem to cut through nearly as good as the JSX. I wonder about its ability to cut through a mix.

What are your experiences with these amps and for what reason do you recomend one over another?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 02:40 PM

Reviews: 59
Re: JSX or Supersonic

I don't have any real experience with the Supersonic but I love the JSX and they're getting discounted all over because the model is being discontinued/possibly rebranded. I have heard about the Supersonic falling apart at higher volume levels but I can't really remember what that was about. I'm pretty sure there was a mod you could do to fix/help that out.

Wasn't there a forum member named Darin who went back and forth between these two? I'm pretty sure he had a few threads or at least commented on several threads related to the JSX topic a few years back. Try the search function because I seem to remember reading about this very topic.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. I did see a couple of Darin's threads. One in which Shogun commented was a great thread with a lot of sound clips of the JSX. Both of those guys posted some great clips. I went ahead and grabbed the JSX but I'm still considering taking it back for the Supersonic.

I can't put my finger on exactly why I still gravitate towards the Supersonic but I can tell you the only reason I haven't taken the JSX back yet is because I haven't been able to confirm from experienced users whether it's going to be useful in live situations, namely whether it can cut through or falls apart above 5 vol.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 05:04 PM

Reviews: 4

I would get a JSX before they re-brand it.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 05:45 PM

Reviews: 59

I'd say go to GC on a slow time/day and turn it up to see for yourself if it craps out at higher volumes. If you're going to drop that kind of dough, it's worth it to really test it out first in the "loud" room or on the showroom floor.
Of the two, I'd take the JSX.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 03:37 AM

Reviews: 65

jsx all the way.

the supersonic is nice for crunch, but that is all use I found for it...

jsx ... I used that one A LOT...
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 12:48 PM

Reviews: 39

The Supersonic can't keep up with the JSX past channel 2.

JSX all the way.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 03:33 PM

Reviews: 9

One important note; Fender send all of their amps with return receipt. Why do think that is?

Peavey don't go wrong, and a guitarist in my band has been gigging one for two years straight and it's been great. Just don't get carried away with the gain control, it gets over the top past about 3 lol. It's also very noisey, but so's the supersonic.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 01:58 PM

Reviews: 12

I'va had my JSX for 5 years now. Awesome amp.
I've played many amps over the years, boutique, highend, mid level & budget amps.
At no time did any of them make me consider flipping my JSX. I have a Soldano Avenger at home right now, and it's very nice. But by no means has it outshined my JSX.

Tags
jsx , supersonic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode