Ibanez JEM Forum banner

JSX VS TRIPLE X

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  j.arledge 
#1 ·
I really liked the crunch channel on my triple x ( for metal) and the ultra I never used because it was to much for me. So for all you jsx owners out there I have come across a good deal on a jsx head and am debating to make the plunge but before I do I would like to know if the ultra channel on the jsx gets as brutaly heavey as the crunch on the tripl x. thanks.

#5 ·
Hey Nathan,

I'm not sure if you saw my post, but I recently bought a Triple XXX II (which is just a re-branded JSX) thinking I'd get the best of the original XXX (the crunch channel) and an improved clean channel. Unfortunately, I did not have a good experience with it and actually just returned it. I tried it with both KT77 and 6L6s in a 5150 4x12 cab and a 2x12 Mesa recto cab. To my ears, it always sounded thin and never had the chunk I got with the original XXX. The FAT switches helped a little, but when I increased the gain, it sounded like the distortion was clipping and I got an awful metallic ***** instead of a hefty chunk.

Throwing an TS808 in front to boost and MXR 10 EQ in the loop made it sound its best, but it never seemed to move enough air to me. I ended up ordering an original XXX and got such a good deal on the head that I was able to afford a used Orange 4x12 cab. It comes next week so I'm curious to hear if I like the original XXX and Orange cab better. I'm thinking the dampening switches on the original XXX might have been responsible for the tone I liked so much.

I really wanted to like the Triple XXX II because the clean channel worked great and there were a lot of great classic rock tones on the crunch channel so it was very versatile. I just could never get a think chunky metal tone out of it like I did with the original XXX. I mainly play metal so that was the deal breaker for me.

I'll give you an update when the amp arrives, but thought I throw in my 2 cents since you seem to be looking for the same thing I am.

#6 ·
Brutal and heavy and be a little subjective, but the JSX has a stupid amount of gain on tap, if that's what you're asking? It definitely pushes into extreme metal territory. However, the voicing is quite different. The JSX is smoother and a little darker, the XXX harsher and more fizzy.

#7 ·
i didnt like the jsx nearly as much as i liked the xxx. The amber channel on the xxx was awesome. I didn't like the amber channel on the jsx. it didn't have enough gain and the voicing was different.

The ultra on the jsx was more like the amber of the xxx.

I felt the jsx lacked depth. The xxx doesn't have the low end of a 5150 but it wasn't as tight as the JSX.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.