Just bought a Laney GH50L!! - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 3
Just bought a Laney GH50L!!

Won it on evilbay today, retubed with JJ6L6s it also comes with a Laney angled cab with 4x12 celestions.

It's the first amp I've owned that isn't a combo, as well as my first tube amp, although I've played many different heads over the years through gigging and borrowing/renting equipment. I wanted to keep it simple with a one channel amp that could offer a bit more gain than a JCM800 without the need for a pedal, so it was between this and a 5150, which is a bit out of my price range.

I'll be picking it up next week, pics to come and hopefully I'm in for some sweet tones!

By the way, this means my 100w Peavey Bandit 112 has got to go, if anyone in the UK's interested, drop me a PM!

Last edited by Wild_Child; 01-20-2008 at 07:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 04:31 PM

Re: Just bought a Laney GH50L!!

nice dude.. post some clips
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 07:09 PM

Congrats. Feel free to join us Laney fans over at the two Laney forums.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 07:10 PM

Very cool!! What a nice item you won there. congratulations!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 10:20 PM

Congrats
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 03:00 AM

How did you get it for so cheap?
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

A bit of luck and good timing I guess. Nobody seems to be interested in these amps at the moment - the seller has put it up before with no takers. I also had a sneaky little peek into his past feedback and saw that he's actually making a loss on it.

It's also pretty old - mid-90's or something like that, but it's been retubed and only had a couple of hours use since then. The cab has a few scuffs but that doesn't bother me, the cab is a bonus as far as I'm concerned.

I think it puts people off when it's collection in person too. It's only a 2 hour drive for me - saves paying upwards of 60 for delivery. Also, it means I can test it out before I take it away and have a chat with the guy I'm buying it off. We've already had a few email exchanges, he seems like a nice bloke.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2007, 09:46 PM

Okay, since you'll be testing it out, piece of advice about tweaking the thing:

#1: Keep the presence high(like 8-9) and treble very low(1-3). I don't know exactly why, but the amp responds completely different set like this. At least try it if you have trouble getting a tone you like. It's tighter this way, and looser with lower presence.

#2: Don't peg the gain/drive. It sounds better with both on 8 if you need a lot of gain, IMO.

#3: It's loud, and likes the volume. Hurt people.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-20-2007, 03:19 AM

Damn! I wish I even get to try one. Anyway congratz!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post

#1: Keep the presence high(like 8-9) and treble very low(1-3). I don't know exactly why, but the amp responds completely different set like this. At least try it if you have trouble getting a tone you like. It's tighter this way, and looser with lower presence.

#2: Don't peg the gain/drive. It sounds better with both on 8 if you need a lot of gain, IMO.

This guy has great advice. I have the VH100R and I too use the presence control in this way. It gives a much warmer sound and the 'brightness' that alot of people aren't too keen on is easily controllable this way.

For an even smoother sound, use the lo input and turn the gain up.

You're going to love it
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-22-2007, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice guys! I dont think I'll be testing it to it's full potential because the guy has a newborn next door. I'll have to wait till I get it back here before I really let rip. The neighbours are going to love me

I also have a ts-9 over at my student place that I've never really used. Maybe now I'll finally have a chance! My band has a few bookings and we're set to record a demo next month so it'll certainly get put through it's paces.

I'm picking it up this saturday, can't wait!
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-25-2007, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

So, I got it! The guy I bought it off was really cool, we had a long chat about all sorts of music and things. Was on the road for HOURS though, what should have been a quick trip to the midlands and back turned into an eight and a half hour round trip! Still, I had my buddy with me and some cool tunes in the car so overall a nice day out!

Haven't had a chance to try it out at home yet, but we fired it up to 5 at the sellers house and this thing is LOUD! Definitely pleased with my purchace

Anyway, a couple of pics. Maybe some sound samples later, but my mic's in Reading and I'm in Cardiff so I can't just yet.

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-25-2007, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post

That's exactly how I run my Laney AOR, too. Otherwise, the highs wanna take your friggin head off!
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-25-2007, 09:26 PM

Good lookin' amp. Congrats.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-26-2007, 03:42 AM

Oh nice, and older one like mine with the black corners and cloth. Sweet.

Tags
peavey bandit , tube amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode