Just Bought A Peavey Valve-King 112 (My First Tube Amp) - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Just Bought A Peavey Valve-King 112 (My First Tube Amp)

Hi Folks,

I just bought my first tube amp, and I am overjoyed by it. Originally I was looking at a Peavey Royal 8 (since I live in 500 square-foot apartment), but it sounded dreadfull. Then when the JSX Mini Colossal finally showed-up at my local music shop, I tried it out. Pretty cool, until I saw the price. So I figured that I would might as well buy a Peavey 50-watter.

Man, this thing is LOUD. Even when the volume is on 1, is fills-up my apartment with sound pretty good. With the gain on full, and the gain-boaster on and the volume on 1, it does a Def Leppard High 'N Dry type of tone (e.g. Marshall Superlead) pretty well.

A Noob-Tube-Amp-Question (feel free to laugh hard); I have a few OD (and distortion) pedals and a Line 6 Compressor/Sustainer. Do I plug them straight into the amp's input, or through the EFX loop? What are the rules? I've trying researching, and I can't find any hard-and-fast rules about this. There are times where I need a really high-gain tone, but I can't crank up my amp's volume because I live in an apartment.

Thank-you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 09:15 PM

Re: Just Bought A Peavey Valve-King 112 (My First Tube Amp)

Generally up front - the loop is basically more designed for line level stuff (for example a TC G-Major), however there are no hard and fast fixed rules - in most cases the overdrive and compression pedals are better for driving more input into the pre-amp tubes, which you will miss by putting them in an effects loop.

50 watts of tube power is a fully giggable amp........
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-13-2007, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McCarroll View Post
Generally up front - the loop is basically more designed for line level stuff (for example a TC G-Major), however there are no hard and fast fixed rules - in most cases the overdrive and compression pedals are better for driving more input into the pre-amp tubes, which you will miss by putting them in an effects loop.

50 watts of tube power is a fully giggable amp........
That makes sense. Thanks for the quick response.

Cheers
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 02:38 AM

I've been interested in this line of amps for a while since I'm on a budget - it sounds like it's made you pretty happy. Have you had the chance to crank it up to more than 1? I've heard that it sounds okay at low volumes, but starts to sound like crap if you turn it up. Also is the distortion very fizzy or is it a cleaner distortion if that makes sense?

Thanks!
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelodyMan View Post
I've been interested in this line of amps for a while since I'm on a budget - it sounds like it's made you pretty happy. Have you had the chance to crank it up to more than 1? I've heard that it sounds okay at low volumes, but starts to sound like crap if you turn it up. Also is the distortion very fizzy or is it a cleaner distortion if that makes sense?

Thanks!

That sounds very unlikely - I can't say I have ever come across a tube amp which sounds good at low volume, but not good run harder, tubes actually need to be pushed a little into saturation to get a good sound. In any case, less overdrive almost always sounds better - it's just much more fun to crank up the gain at home and wail away on a super saturated tone - unfortunately in a live/band situation this sounds, well, awful really.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 09:09 AM

Glad you like the VK. I bought the 212 version last year and grew to hate it quickly. It was one of those "sounded great in the store, but when I got it home..." deals. I didn't feel like it had much personality. The thing that really pissed me off the the delay time when engaging the boost. When you're about to hit a big solo that half-second delay just fouls it all up.

I sold mine inside of two months. But some people like 'em.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 12:33 PM

Quote:
That sounds very unlikely - I can't say I have ever come across a tube amp which sounds good at low volume, but not good run harder, tubes actually need to be pushed a little into saturation to get a good sound. In any case, less overdrive almost always sounds better - it's just much more fun to crank up the gain at home and wail away on a super saturated tone - unfortunately in a live/band situation this sounds, well, awful really.
Well, as much as I would love to be able to crank up and wail away I am in college right now and will graduate in the spring - I'm sure I'll be living in apartments for a while, but I don't want to be stuck with sh*t sound for the next couple of years. David, what do you suggest I invest in so I can actually be happy with my tone at low volumes...podxt live? I'm just kind of frustrated having a crap tone b/c I don't live anywhere where I can really crank it up, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelodyMan View Post

Thanks!
Well, I've spent a few hours today playing with it. I have removed the distortion pedals and have kept on the the compressor/sustainer. I was able to put the volume up to 2 for a while, and it sounds better as it gets louder. It gets more crunchy, as it should.

For a majority of the time, I have to keep the volume on 1 though (with the gain boast activated). Also, my guitars are loaded with pretty high-output pickups (Super Dist. in an RGA, Super II in a Jackson Dinky, Duncan JB in a Lado Earth), which definitely helps things.

Cheers
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-14-2007, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermau View Post
Glad you like the VK. I bought the 212 version last year and grew to hate it quickly. It was one of those "sounded great in the store, but when I got it home..." deals. I didn't feel like it had much personality. The thing that really pissed me off the the delay time when engaging the boost. When you're about to hit a big solo that half-second delay just fouls it all up.

I sold mine inside of two months. But some people like 'em.
Well, for my interests, I needed bang for the buck. As much as I would like an Engl Powerball, they are just too expensive and impractical for an apartment dweller like me.

Another thing I noticed is how much more sensitive it is to different guitars and different pickups (in comparison to solid-state/digital). I plug in my Lado, and you know it's a $3000 guitar just by listening to it. Then I plugged in an old $300 3-series RG with stock pickups, and you can easily tell the difference.

For my noob-tube-amp experience, it's a great tone. But, for my late 80's Leppard/Maiden tones, I'll still go to my solid-state/digital set-up (with 2 layers of Roland chorusing, delay, ultra-tight distortion, whammy, etc). Both amps types definitely have their place.

Cheers
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 12:21 PM

Footswitches on Peaveys seem to be crap in general, i had a Bandit 112, the footswitch just did not go, which is a shame cause the drive sound was great on it. I just use a Boss ME-50 instead. Thinking of getting a Valve King Half Stack, so interested to know how the VKs sound, I play classic rock kind of stuff, so looking for smooth highs, but I'm looking for a good bassy sound too.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 03:21 PM

Quote:
jsx .
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 08:35 AM

I Just bought a ValveKing 212 100-watt combo. My in-store test drive gave me only a brief opportunity to crank the amp. But I did get it to about 9 o'clock, and at that setting the VK is loud enough for most gigs where my amp is going to mic'ed up.

Tomorrow I'm playing at Dover Speedway in Delaware and I have every intention of using the VK. While I enjoy the amp at home, the gig is always a true test of how an amp performs.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudge View Post
I Just bought a ValveKing 212 100-watt combo. My in-store test drive gave me only a brief opportunity to crank the amp. But I did get it to about 9 o'clock, and at that setting the VK is loud enough for most gigs where my amp is going to mic'ed up.

Tomorrow I'm playing at Dover Speedway in Delaware and I have every intention of using the VK. While I enjoy the amp at home, the gig is always a true test of how an amp performs.
At the Nascar race then???????? WOW
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy7jem View Post
At the Nascar race then???????? WOW
Yep, from 7:30 AM to 1:30 PM in the North Hospitality Tent.

It's a long day, and it starts early. I have to wake up tomorrow morning at 3:00AM and it's a two hour drive to the track. We do six or seven short sets.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-22-2007, 11:02 AM

COOL

Not that i'll be going....living thousands of miles away....but i'm a huge Nascar fan

Hope ya have a blast

Tags
celestion vintage , clean tone , david mccarroll , def leppard , distortion pedal , engl powerball , jackson dinky , lado earth , local music shop , output pickup , steve vai , tube amp , tube tone , valve amps , valve king , volume pedal , volume pedals

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode