Just Brought a Roland BR1600CD Home - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Just Brought a Roland BR1600CD Home

my drummer bought it late last year and hasn't learned much about it so he dropped it off with me so i can learn how to operate it and get some fresh recordins of our band.
seems like i'll have my hands full for the next couple weeks with it but i'm looking forward to unlocking its potential.
he even offered to sell it to me for a very nice price so he can purchase other gear. definitely being taken into consideration but i need to get comfortable with it first. wish me luck!

****can someone change my heading to BR1600cd please. D'OH!!!

i worked with it until late last night and i'm just starting to get the hang of how to do a little on it. i need some nice reference monitors now. it's a very nice machine for what it does.

Last edited by screamndemon69; 02-26-2007 at 11:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2007, 08:37 AM
Banned

Re: Just Brought a Roland BR1200CD Home

As far as reference monitors. I'm using the Alesis M1 Actives. I am quite happy with them.

Quote:
Professional Accuracy, Clarity, and Performance in an Affordable Powered Monitor
By combining our expertise in reference monitor design with our proven track record in studio amplification, Alesis' new M1 Active Biamplified Reference Monitor offers the incredibly accurate response that perfectly translates to every playback system. Its internal active crossover and custom-designed dual amplifiers ensure an extremely consistent performance under a variety of different studio conditions and program material. The result is a broad, extremely flat frequency response, clear imaging with a wide sweet spot, high power handling, and detailed high- and mid-frequency response that only a professional powered monitor can deliver.

Custom Drivers Designed for Active Monitoring
The M1 Active's woofer and tweeter were specifically designed for the most linear, low distortion response in powered monitoring applications. Its 6.5 inch woofer cone is formulated from non-woven carbon fiber. It's a material that has been used for the skins of combat aircraft wings, since it offers high tensile strength and low weight. In fact, carbon fiber is 25% lighter than polypropylene (the most common driver material) and hence provides quicker transient response in the low frequency range for superb bass response as well as a vast improvement in the detail of critical upper-mid frequencies. The M1 Active's inch tweeter dome is made of pure silk, which offers a natural response that aids in preventing ear fatigue during long mix sessions. It also features an internal pole piece mounted phasing plug and is ferrofluid cooled to maintain the best balance of transient response to power handling.

Active Bi-Amplifiers and Electronic Crossovers
Two audiophile-quality amplifiers ? a 75 watt woofer amp and a 25 watt tweeter amp ? were developed for the M1 Active, along with 8th order high- and low-pass electronic crossover filters. The crossover point was carefully chosen at a low 1500Hz, and produces an extremely wide dispersion zone as well as low midrange coloration. Also, the special time alignment circuitry that's been added to the tweeter section of this crossover allows the output of frequencies from the high and low drivers to occur in perfect synchronization, avoiding the time smear that's typical in less advanced powered speakers.

Attractive Cabinet Design with Dual Ports and Offset Tweeter
In developing the M1 Active, the Alesis engineering team discovered that dual font-mounted ports provided the fastest, most coherent and extended low frequency augmentation. Also, the unique offset design of the high frequency driver allows for the flattest frequency and power response in a speaker that offers such wide dispersion. The M1 Active's attractive mirror-imaged, charcoal-toned cabinet and magnetically-shielded drivers allow for placement in close proximity with computer or video monitors, and offers the added benefit of blending beautifully into your studio's decor without being obtrusive. They may be mounted in either a horizontal or vertical placement to best fit your studio's requirements.

The Alesis M1 Active
With the lineage of our TEC Award-winning Monitor Onet Studio Reference Monitor, Alesis speakers have already become a standard in project and professional studios around the world. If you're looking for the same great accuracy and detailed response in a powered system that's truly affordable, the answer is clear: the new M1 Active from Alesis.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 01:33 PM

Re: Just Brought a Roland BR1600CD Home

I'd use a PC everyday over one of these things, i found them an absolute nightmare for editing
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

it seems ok for the money but not using it with a computer is a little tricky and can be more than frustrating at times. i wasted 7 CDs before i finally figured out how to normalize my tracks correctly. i was trying to finish up some work my other band mates started. the tracks needed normalizing but they way they put the tracks in the hard drive i haven't been able to get them spaced and in order like they should be.....basically be able to seperate the tracks. they came out as one 38 minute track rather than 9-10 individual songs.
i have lots more to learn about this thing and see lots of potential for this recorder. i would have never bought this model but would have rather gotten the BR900CD to use in my teaching studio so the students would go home with their lesson material on CD. having the full drum tracks, FX and CD burner built in would be perfect for my applications with my students.

if i was given the chance to buy what i wanted i would buy the biggest Mac with all the needed hardward and software. i don't have that kind of dough to lay down but possibly one day. in the meantime, i'll work with this machine the best i can - good or bad.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 06:42 PM

todd, i use sonar 6 pe with the waves plug-ins and the L3 is a mastering plug-in that gets the levels super hot. pc's give you way more flexibility and are upgradeable, unlike standalone DAWs. i used to use a yamaha md-8 back in the day and went 100% pc. now i have a full fledged 24 track simultaneous with unlimited listening tracks. i can record, edit, mix, master from one workstation. way more efficient for a recording studio. standalones are great for recording performances and bringing them home, they are just too complicated for efficient recording. i use the krk rp-8 powered monitors and a proficient s12 for my sub. proficient is a home audio sub, but for the $150 special my local parts house was letting them go for, it definitely beat out the rp-10 that would have "matched" my setup...for half the price!
BTW, good luck on the sale.

rich
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Rich, I'm trying and I'm kinda suprised noone is interested at this point for that price. If I had more time I would personally list it on the 'Bay and actually make some $ over what my drummer is asking for it.

I will probably get the little micro version for home stuff and to get tracks for my students to practice to. It seems nice for the price
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 10:32 AM

I use a Roland VS890 to record. I have Fostex monitors that sound pretty nice.. I love Roland's digital recorders. they are very easy to use and their customer support is godly
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 10:36 AM

Reviews: 20

Sorry to jump in on the convo. Cud I just ask- what's ur opinion on the BR1600CD? is it version 2? A friend of mine is considering getting one im jst wonderin on whether i shud encourage him or discourage him to get it
Cheers
Regards
Jonny
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

It only only a few months old so I would guess it is ver2, but not sure.

It is a good unit with alot of features. Many people are using computer based recording programs that are more powerful but for what it is it is a great unit.

My drummer has fallen on hard times so I now have the unit listed in the classifieds for dirt cheap and bought myself the Micro BR for an idea sketch pad in the meantime.

Tags
bass response , drum tracks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode