just a dumb question..... - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-01-2003, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
just a dumb question.....

ok...keep in mind that i am not a techie when it comes to amps but i have a question regarding my marshall avt50 combo. I posted a little while ago about changing the preamp tube to kinda smooth out the distortion a little and get a little more saturation. Well, 2 weeks later and my amp sounds like a completely new beast! I havent done anything to it or the guitar and more people than just myself have commented on my amps sound. I haven't even touched the knobs. its very rich and smooth now and twice as warm as when i took it out of the box. Is there is a "breaking in" period when it comes to these things?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-02-2003, 01:58 PM

Two things...

1.) Spingfield mass... You don't by any chance mean SpRingfield, do you? that's like a half hour/forty-five drive from me when i'm home (Adams, it's between pittsfield and williamstown, if that helps).

2.) Tube amps are INCREDIBLY fickle. They definately do sound inconsistant from day to day... Howver, we're only talking about a single preamp tube, and while tube amps do vary a bit, they're not usually RADICALLY different. Yoiur "breaking in" hypothesis, while i've heard nothing else that could support it about other amps, might be right. Other possibilities- did you change your guitar in any manner- pickup height, etc? how about the cable? And is it plugged into the same outet?

Anyway, can't argue with good tone.

-Drew
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2003, 01:43 PM

Hmmmm, half an hour ago I was thinking to myself that the tone of this thing is actually excellent.

I have an AVT50H and I've been struggling with it since I got it 3 weeks ago to get the good tone from it. Suddently it's just there. Now I read this thread and I believe you may have a point. Either the tube or my ears are now broken in.

Anyway, I'm happy
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2003, 02:50 PM

The tube in the AVT's probably doesn't have much impact on the sound, it's really there for marketing. "Has a Tube!"
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2003, 02:58 PM

Reviews: 1
The way things sound will change on you all the time based on every variable imaginable ! My old rehearsal space, I'd stumble on a sound that just did it, the next day I was nowhere near the sound I had the preivious night and all my settings were untouched (midi controlled preamp) so count on those variences. Throw tubes into the mix, there is even more room for fluctuation. The temp / humididty of the room, where you stand, which way your amp faces, blah blah...
Its maddening sometimes...

Bamm
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2003, 05:47 PM

i always find when a room is nice and warm..round 20c my amp always sounds groovy. it also helps to turn your amp on for half an hour before you play..

Tags
marshall avt , pickup height , preamp tube , tube amp , tube amps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode