kahler trems - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

kahler trems

Aren't these supposed to be in production again
anytime soon?

anyway, does anyone have a schematic for it?
I'm gonna adjust mine, and I'm not too familiar
with the system...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 03:05 PM
Banned

Re: kahler trems

Quote:
Originally Posted by straymond
anytime soon?

with the system...
God, I hope not......
Talk about the worst trem ever made....
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 03:19 PM

It had its fans. And Kahler made one of the best Floyd knockoffs there ever was.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 08:39 AM

I haven't heard anything about them coming out again. But that doesn't mean anything. Adjusting them isn't hard. It's a bit time consuming, but no more than adjusting an Edge or Floyd trem. It does depend on which you have though...the Spider is slightly different from the pro, etc...

It's been a really wierd time in the trem market with a bunch of patents expiring this year. There's now this rush of wierd new trems coming out (including the 3 new Ibanez ones). As for Kahler, they were last done by APM (American Precision Metalworks) and they just didn't float. I loved the APM3300 and 3310's. They're the fixed bridges with fine tuners. They came stock on all the first series Dave Mustaine Signatures from Jackson. I have 6 of these guitars, and love that bridge. Even Dave had to let them go though, as they are impossible to find. He ended up doing a string-thru-the-body setup on the new ones. Which sounds better anyway...
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 10:27 AM

Re: kahler trems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearjunky
Quote:
Originally Posted by straymond
anytime soon?

with the system...
God, I hope not......
Talk about the worst trem ever made....
Uhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!???????????'
The original Kahler (Floyd-like) is awesome!!!!Have you really tried it? I had it on a washburn (pre n4 prototype) and it was great!!!!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 12:07 AM

The original Kahlers were not Floyd-like... unless they did a knife-edge fulcrum trem long before their flat-mount units.

They only started doing Floyd-licensed trems later.

I thought the flat-mounted Kahlers were great, and had one on one of my guitars for a while... really smooth and awesome for fluid, subtle phrasing, but not as stable as a well set-up Floyd for the extreme stuff.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 12:09 AM

I put a floyd type on my Kramer way back when and it rocked....
Todd
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 04:37 PM

I have a kahler on one of my guitars and I don't like it at all. It feels very light and smooth but it just takes the sustain away. Floyd's are far better all round, especially for whacky stuff.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 12:02 AM
rgr

The Kahler Steelers are great, but they are FR type trems only better IMHO. I didn't like the original cam type Kahler units though, kinda clunky looking and they felt too smooth, if that makes sense.

$0.02,
Roger
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2003, 09:54 PM

Hey, don't forget, Steve Vai used to endorse them . . . the only problem I remember him mentioning in an interview where he mentioned them was the fact that the rollers had sustain problems.

I'm sure he had other issues with them, as those top mounted trems weren't very good for flutter or really hard abuse, but I never read anything where he mentioned that.

He did mention in the one interview where he mentioned them that he like the fact that you could rest your palm on it and it didn't go sharp.

I wish I could remember what magazine and issue I read that in . . . anyone remember reading that one?

Mic
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 07:05 AM

You can download the manual here:

http://freespace.virgin.net/john.blackman4/trem.htm

I've actually got 2 guitars (Ibanez Destroyer and a mongrel Strat) with Kahler Pro's on them, both from the mid 80's. To this day they still work great.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 09:46 AM

That's a really interesting observation, guitarob... i guess with the way the Kahlers were designed, maybe they're less prone to having parts wear out over time than a knife-edge trem.

Tags
dave mustaine , edge trem , fixed bridge , floyd trem , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode