Keeley Modded DS-1 - My Opinion !!! Your Opinion/Advice Welcome ! - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

Keeley Modded DS-1 - My Opinion !!! Your Opinion/Advice Welcome !

I just got my Keeley Modded DS-1 - first impressions were that it was clean, very pure a bit too fuzzy up high but pretty good..... THEN

I used it in line with my distortion channel, I have an old Marshall valvestate VS100. I put the gain down low on the amp and used the pedal on 1/2 level and dist.

after 10 minutes of playing (using RG 548 - with evo's) I was left speechless.
This pedal just pulled the rug out from under me, I just wasnt expecting it to be that good.

Bottom line is, Ive only played for about an hour but im still knocked out !

I cant recommend this thing highly enough, its transformed my sound (I was using an Ibanez Mostortion pedal * for sale *) and I was never really happy but this thing is awesome.

Opinions and recommended usage would be appreciated, its like getting a new rig !!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 07:52 AM

Re: Keeley Modded DS-1 - My Opinion !!! Your Opinion/Advice Welcome !

It's a nice pedal, definitely a booster though 'cos on it's own there just isn't enough gain on tap.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

OK, after heaping praise on it, its just started clipping every frequency that I try to play, pick a note... hear it get clipped, wait...wait.. wait..... OK 3 seconds later the clipping circuit lets go and I can hear the note coming out of the amp... quaint !!
will keep you posted about whetever this problem is !
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 04:48 PM

Mine did that once for a couple of minutes but it has been fine ever since. Weird.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiman
Mine did that once for a couple of minutes but it has been fine ever since. Weird.
thats good to know, I hope its the last time for both of us!
I mailed keeley in the UK to ask about it. Will post the reply here.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 03:54 AM

1 thing abt the Keeley DS1, its modded to sound more neutral and IMO, function more as a boost than a standalone pedal. It does lose some of the DS-1 characteristics (the good ones) and its much much thicker sounding, hence it does not lend itself well to articulate rhythm work.

Analogman's DS1 is quite the opposite, it retains all the DS-1 vibes but improves on it in every aspect.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

well, there is definately something wrong with it, every time I plug the guitar in it sounds different !!
Keeley legendary customer support has kicked in and Ill have a new pedal this week...
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisshredding
well, there is definately something wrong with it, every time I plug the guitar in it sounds different !!
Keeley legendary customer support has kicked in and Ill have a new pedal this week...
Well thats cool

I love mine. It's a great lead / sustain boost. I'd been looking for a boost / dist pedal that works well over the dirty channel. The Keeley does the trick.

Vai tone all the way.

It totally sucks over the clean channel (but what's the point of playing it over the clean channel anyhoo)
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 03:17 PM
rgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredcows
1 thing abt the Keeley DS1, its modded to sound more neutral and IMO, function more as a boost than a standalone pedal. It does lose some of the DS-1 characteristics (the good ones) and its much much thicker sounding, hence it does not lend itself well to articulate rhythm work.
I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way. Back when Robert had all his mods posted on his website I tried some of the DS-1 and SD-1 mods. I still have a MIJ SD-1 with some of the mods, I halfway reversed a few of the changes. His mods are good, but IMO add too much low end which can push the muddy factor a little. I need to do some more tweaking to my SD-1, I think there is a nice middle ground between stock and Keeley that will keep more of the clarity but give it a little more body.

For the record, Robert is a really nice guy, I just think he has pushed the low end a little too far in his mods.

Right now, the booster that I am using the most is a Danelectro Fab Tone Overdrives that I picked up for ~$9 at GC, don't knock them until you've tried them. I also like the Distortion but that one set me back a whopping $15! If they repackaged these they could easily sell them for $100, of course at that price, you might as well buy a TS9.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 04:33 PM

Yeah I've got a DS1 ultra as well and I'll agree that by itself through the clean channel, there's nothing special unless you've got a real tube amp with the clean channel's gain already breking up before you engage the keeley. Then it gives you a nice classic rock overdrive.

I have the volume on mine set to about 2 o'clock, tone around 9 oclock and the distortion level all the way DOWN and going to a medium to high gain amp with the amp's overdrive on gives a GREAT boost for solos.

The only thing I have to be careful is to not use too much gain on the amp with the keeley on as I think it gets a little too compressed and too thick and muddy when this happens.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr
I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way. Back when Robert had all his mods posted on his website I tried some of the DS-1 and SD-1 mods. I still have a MIJ SD-1 with some of the mods, I halfway reversed a few of the changes. His mods are good, but IMO add too much low end which can push the muddy factor a little. I need to do some more tweaking to my SD-1, I think there is a nice middle ground between stock and Keeley that will keep more of the clarity but give it a little more body.

For the record, Robert is a really nice guy, I just think he has pushed the low end a little too far in his mods.

Right now, the booster that I am using the most is a Danelectro Fab Tone Overdrives that I picked up for ~$9 at GC, don't knock them until you've tried them. I also like the Distortion but that one set me back a whopping $15! If they repackaged these they could easily sell them for $100, of course at that price, you might as well buy a TS9.
er... I find it very hard to believe that a cheapo pedal like that could be any good ?
please convince me otherwise cos I can see the Keeley DS-1 going on the bay soon.
ER. what is GC?
I did find the pedals that youre talking about on the bay and they are only 15 quid (or so) here..... wtf ?
Im a big believer in "you get what you pay for" so how can they compete, discretes of quality cost money !
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 05:02 PM

GC= Guitar center.

I tend to stick with the old saying that you get what you pay for but when it comes to stompboxes, there are actually some decent ones that sound good. The original unmodified DS1 and OD1 are no exception. They sound great in their cheap unboutique modified states.

All that being said, I'd still take a $300 Fulltone overdrive pedal over a stock Brand _____ Pedal.

Also adhereing to my way of thinking, the Damage control distortion pedals are hands down the most AMAZING distortion pedals on the face of the earth. I heard one going into a small solid state amp and it sounded amazing. Souded equally good going straight to a PA. Very rich, natural and most importantly, believable tube gain. too bad they're $400.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRedPonyCar
GC= Guitar center.

Also adhereing to my way of thinking, the Damage control distortion pedals are hands down the most AMAZING distortion pedals on the face of the earth. I heard one going into a small solid state amp and it sounded amazing. Souded equally good going straight to a PA. Very rich, natural and most importantly, believable tube gain. too bad they're $400.
thats an unbelievable pedal !!!
ive never heard of it before, its double the price of the keeley, but I think it does the work to justify it !!!!
I dont think that spending that much money on a standalone pedal is worthwhile though. not when you can sell your pedal board (or most of it) and visit tc electronics to buy one unit to replace the lot !
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 06:58 PM
rgr

Quote:
er... I find it very hard to believe that a cheapo pedal like that could be any good ?
You can check out the sound clips for yourself, http://www.danelectro.com/fab2.htm and http://www.danelectro.com/fab1.htm

Don't just take my word for it, look up the reviews on HC and read the review on the Dano website. Granted, I take magazine reviews with a grain of salt, but I had trouble finding bad ones about these.

Quote:
please convince me otherwise cos I can see the Keeley DS-1 going on the bay soon.
Nah, if you like the Keeley go with! I'm not trying to convince you otherwise, I just picked these cheapos up this weekend and was blown away by the OD as a boost, I love the tone, YMMV (your mileage may vary). The Keeley's seem to compress too much and have too much low end TO ME, that may be what you love about them.

Quote:
ER. what is GC?
The Wal-Mart of the music industry.

Quote:
I did find the pedals that youre talking about on the bay and they are only 15 quid (or so) here..... wtf ?
Im a big believer in "you get what you pay for" so how can they compete, discretes of quality cost money !
Me too, somewhat, but it's kind of a grey area these days. These are mass produced in China and are in plastic boxes, if I can see a downside to them, they probably won't last long, they're disposable. Remember, the DS-1s and SD-1s are $30 - $40 metal boxes made in Taiwan. I read an interview with Hartley Peavey in a mag a few months ago, he was talking about an unnamed boutique amp manufacturer that wanted Peavey to make their amps for them. Peavey could make them pretty cheap, but the boutique guys were still going to sell them for over $2000 because their name was on them. The Dano pedals have small SMT PCBs (surface mount technology printed circuit boards) so they are made >80 - 90% by machine, very little hand work in assembling these things, but they will be very consistent soundwise. I wouldn't even try to mod these, the parts are very small. Dano is leveraging cheap manufacturing on these, but they are basically new technology copies of old circuits. I'm not sure what the OD is modeled after, I thought it was the TS9, but not after reading their description again, I'm curious though so I'm going to try to find out (whatever it is, I do like it). The Distortion is a copy of the old Maxon D&S (distortion and sustainer), not sure what the rest are modeled after. The Dano Mini effects are the same, the French Toast is a cheap "new-tech" copy of a Foxx Tone Machine.

When you buy Keeley effects, you are paying for Robert's time, hand labor, and most of all, his time and effort put into the design, and it's worth it if you like the pedal (remember, he's probably paying $30 or so for the DS-1, and the parts he adds are $2 - $3 total at the most). It really doesn't take him long to mod a pedal now, but it took some experimenting to figure out what to do. You also have something that will keep it's value. Same for Fulltone effects and other hand-wired boutique stuff. I'm not dissin' any of these guys, I was one for a while about 8 - 10 years ago. Could they make their stuff cheaper by having them made overseas? Yes, definitely (Robert would have to design his mods into complete pedals). But there is some "magic" in having these guys do the work by hand to some.

A store that I built pedals for about 10 years ago got an old pre-TS808 Ibanez Overdrive II in. I think they sold it for $350 or something like that. I sketched out the circuit from it and built one, I think the owner of the store still has the one I made. To me, it sounded pretty good, but no better than alot of other new stuff. Since it was the predecessor to the 808 people believed it had some magic or something, it definitely had collectability.

1 hour later...
Whoa, I started this response a while ago and just got back to it. I'm debating trading out the SD-1 on my board for the Dano, but honestly, I like the tone. If I was blindfolded, I would probably pick it over the SD-1, it's also alot quieter, no unnecessary hissing when it's on. And I also use these as boosters, most of the tone comes from my amp so I'm looking for something that is complementary to it.

Yeah, I'm kinda bored today at work, we are between projects and hopefully something is coming soon!!!!

Oh yeah, I hear the Damage Control stuff is da' bomb, haven't had a chance to try one though. They seem to be more of an all in one preamp, workstation that just a pedal.

Last edited by rgr; 04-24-2006 at 07:09 PM.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 07:58 PM
rgr

Oh yeah, if you need a good overdrive/distortion pedal, some of the online places have the DOD YJM308 for $30, not bad for a $105 MSRP pedal. It's a good choice for some easy mods too, check out analogman's website.

DOH, this should have gone in the "Bagged A Bargain" thread...

Tags
bogner shiva , boost pedal , distortion pedal , high gain amp , keeley mod , marshall valvestate , overdrive pedal , pedal board , solid state amp , tube amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode