KILLER DRUM RECORDINGS - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-07-2003, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Contributor

Reviews: 1
KILLER DRUM RECORDINGS

I've been trying some radical mic combinations and placements to achieve different kit sounds and I've come up with a 2 mic setup that really kicks *ss.
My kit is a 5 piece Premier Artist series in Birch with Zildgian cymbals. I've got a RE-20 on the kick. Kick has both heads and I'm placing the mics about 3 " left of center and about 5" back from the head. A C-1 diaphram (2")with pop screen horizontally 3 feet directly over the 2 rack toms. These are going back to the console in mono on seperate channels with 4:1 compression and no gate. After I print, I'm adding a chorus/ detune patch from the Lexicon for coloring and finally a slight hall reverb for ambience.
If you record real drums, try this. You won't believe how amazing the sound is for a 2-mic setup. I've been micing everything seperately for years, but read a recent article in Home Recording magazine and deceided to try it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-07-2003, 04:44 PM

Re: KILLER DRUM RECORDINGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemaholic
You won't believe how amazing the sound is for a 2-mic setup.
I counted three from your description...am I just easily confused?

And can we hear a sample? (both just drums and in a mix with other stuff preferably)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-07-2003, 06:19 PM

Yeah, I think you said you had 2 on the bass drum, and then one over your toms. Maybe I'm just confused as well!
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-07-2003, 07:47 PM

No, he's using two... one 3" left of center and 5" inches back on the kick and the second is 3 feet directly over the two rack toms.

What's confusing is that he wrote "I'm placing the mics" when describing the location of one bass drum mic.

My question is... why put chorus on drums? Doesn't that make it sound incredibly cheesy?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-07-2003, 10:33 PM

Ah, I get it Still very interested in hearing recording examples.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2003, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

Sorry guys, it really is a 2 mic setup: ONE on the bass- offcenter and back, and ONE over the toms. Sorta like John Bonham's kick mic placement. I'd love to post a sample, can't at this point but as soon as I can I will!
Slow Chorus on drums: try it. You will find a point where it warms them up noticably and fattens them up without mud. This works very well with a heavier type music - I'm currently into Devan Townsend's "Accelerated Evolution" style (sang with Vai). This stuff is so heavy it makes Korn sound like Raffi.

The room is 12X24 with 3 stone walls for diffusion and one 24' wall with auralex top to bottom. Kit sits at one end close to the stone for ambience. Ceiling is Armstrong high-absorb 2X4 black theatre tiles. I rounded the stone wall corners to help prevent standing waves. Pics to follow as soon as I get a new USB cable for the camera. (I just finished the control room 2 weeks ago)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2003, 10:38 AM

A couple questions for ya...

1) Who produces the RE20 and C1 microphones?

2) You would happen to have a link to that article in home recording magazine, would ya?

I've been struggling to get a good drum sound in my basement with 7 mics. Sounds like you're getting good results (in a similar room) with a lot less effort. I'm anxious to give the simplified approach a try!

Thanks!

--B
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2003, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

C-1 is made by Studio Projects, RE-20 is Electro Voice.
I've got a pillow in the kick and a full head without holes on the front.
I'm going lo-Z into a Behringer X9000 console, looping through the outboard effects and back through the board into a dual 31 band as the end of the sound chain. I'm thinking of adding something like a T.C. Finalizer.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2003, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Contributor

The July issue of Home Recording has the article.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2003, 10:57 AM

Gracias! When my band gets back together after our "summer sabatical", we'll give this setup a shot. I'm looking forward to ANYTHING that makes the drum recording process simpler!

Thanks for sharing!
--B

Tags
bass drum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode