Kirk Hamett Cry Baby Mod... - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-02-2003, 05:06 AM Thread Starter

Kirk Hamett Cry Baby Mod...

Hi Guys !

Does anybody know if it's possible to modify a Cry Baby wah pedal, in order that it sounds like the f-----g Kirk Hamett's Wah ?

Thanks a lot,

Mick90
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-02-2003, 12:11 PM

Every Crybaby already has the potential to sound like Kirk Hampsters wah. You can make your wah sound just like his by following these easy steps:

Step 1: rock wah forward to activate pedal
Step 2: while playing, continuously rock wah back and forth
Step 3: continue ad nauseum
Step 4: keep doing it....it's not annoying enough yet
Step 6: nope...not done yet. Still needs more wah.
Step 5: rinse & repeat.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-02-2003, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaijem777
Every Crybaby already has the potential to sound like Kirk Hampsters wah. You can make your wah sound just like his by following these easy steps:

Brings tears to the eyes!
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-02-2003, 01:30 PM

Yes- Kirk's wah-abuse often brings causes crying. It really is THAT bad
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-02-2003, 02:55 PM

Vaijem, you're 99% right there... however, you forgot to mention that you have to do it meter-perfect on the downbeats, precluding the possibility of any sort of an interesting wah accent. Without that crucial detail, Mick might actually accidentally stumble on a pretty interesting sound, and god knows you can't cop Hammett's wah tone THAT way...

-Drew
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-02-2003, 04:02 PM

LOL Oops...I knew I'd forgotten something, Drew
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 07:49 AM

I started laughing just looking at the title of this thread. I thought, let's see, Hammett Crybaby mod......on/off switch purposely broken?! hahaha
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris20
I started laughing just looking at the title of this thread. I thought, let's see, Hammett Crybaby mod......on/off switch purposely broken?! hahaha
Hahaha, i think he's got us topped, chris...
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 01:24 PM

LOL

Yeah....there's already a Kirk Hamett pedal out there- it's called an envelope filter
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 01:27 PM

you forgot the most important part:

make sure you douse the pot with a good jeri-curl treatment
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

He guys,

I'm very happy that my topic make you laugh... It appear that you don't like the way Kirk use its wah, and it's sound, but I'm searching for this "blurp" effect... (not for lead parts, but only as background sound)

I own a Digitech RP2000 and the only Fx that approach is the Envelop filter or the 'Yah yah'.

But with these two Fx, I cannot obtain the sound I want (Too much 'bluuuuuurp !), that's why I was looking for my web's famous (now) cry baby mod...

Mick
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaijem777

too true...
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 08:09 PM

Mick. I wanted to chime in and make fun. Ill try not to. Your post is funny becouse Kirk is long known to use a wah in every solo. His recent solo's seem to be all wah.

I dont know that he uses anything in particular. I know up to the Black album he used a Vox. I am a wah nut but I think people in your situation probably just need to realize the best way to get a better tone from your wah is to get a better tone period. No matter how good the wah is if your playing through a crate its not gonna sound as great.

BTW- wahs have the most effect on amps with strong high-mids dialed in and when your amp is really cranked.

I also think the majority of people who make fun of Kirk dont really know what theyre talking about. They need to listen to Puppets and Justice. Theres only wah here and there but technique up the ass. Id like to see one person play the Shortest Straw or Blackened solo's.

It is funny though
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 08:36 PM

I remember Kirk mentioning that the "Blackened" solo was brutal to write because it changed keys so often.

Oh, and one thing I know for sure is that when playing live, Kirk uses a Crybaby...in an Ernie Ball Volume Pedal casing.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-04-2003, 05:20 AM

He is using a Crybaby on the dvd that comes with St. Anger, not sure if it's modded or not.

Tags
ball volume pedal , ernie ball , ernie ball volume pedal , esp mii , kirk hammet , preamp gain , tube amp , volume pedal , volume pedals , wah pedal , whammy pedal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode