Knobs turning backwords? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 4
Thumbs up Knobs turning backwords?

Yeah, I know the cliche' about as you get older you realize the gain knob can actually backwards. well yeah, this has finally happened to me. I've been without my Digitech RP500 for almost 2 months and JUST got it back in the last 36 hours. Since I had my pedal sent of all I've had to play is the built in OD channel on my Fender roc-pro 700, which...well.... you know Fender overdrives ..... And whenever I got to a practice session I would use My drummer's Crate flexwave 60 as the main tone, and my front(wo)man's Boss ME-20 for other stuff like wah. We also played at graduation with this rig.

Well, since I finally got my pedal back, I've built my tone back from the ground up, and it's entirely different, really. Tons less gain, it's more of an overdrive actually. I was using the Carvin legacy model, and am now using a JCM-900 model. Comparing the 2 of them is a crazy difference, the new one is so much more articulate! I never knew how much gain I was using, but i find you just lose all the detail when you are using to much gain. I'm not even using a compressor or OD boost anymore!

I blame this a lot on technique: I'm playing a lot cleaner and more precise, you can't even tell I'm not using much gain because my technique is so much more precise, Because I've been unplugged most of the time, I've had to force myself to clean up my technique a lot! I realize how much of a crutch all that gain has been, and I'm glad to have it gone! My tone seems 1000X better than before. And sustain doesn't really matter if I'm playing in front of a loud amp.

This is getting long winded, but what I'm really driving at is, turn your gain down!!! It will make you play cleaner, and You will sound so much better.

Now, I'm not saying I was a gain hog or anything, I used waaay less then my friends do even before I made this change. Now I just use waaaaaayyy less . they also don't know the the mid knob can move past 0 .

The crazy thing about this all, even though now my tone in the hardware is different, it still sounds 100% like me, you cant really tell a differnce, other than that it is a whole lot clearer!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 10:53 PM

Reviews: 1
Re: Knobs turning backwords?

less stuff between you and the amp is better. 99% of the time I dont use the clean channel, only time it is on, is if I have a FX processor going. Amazing how OPEN tone can get with a simple twist of a knob or 2. Cool you figured you tone out.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 11:24 PM

Reviews: 3

I play metal, recently I learned that if you turn the gain down, and pick a lot harder, it sounds way heavier, and better that picking lightly and cranking the gain. But on a side note, it is a good thing sometimes to change your sound a bit.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 09:56 AM

Reviews: 1

Good lesson to learn. Same ol' saying... "Less is more"

Many players have far too much gain. It covers mistakes, bad playing / technique and chords sound like mush. For a solo, it's perfectly fine.

As you've said, playing unplugged helps greatly. I do this many a time watching TV.

Glad you've improved.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 11:17 AM

Reviews: 2

Agree...since I stopped maxing everything I improved my playing a lot and I'm happier with the way my guitar sounds. Also, noise issues many people have could be eliminated if they just back the f'in gain down
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 12:09 PM

Reviews: 2

These days, the gain on my lead channel never goes past two o'clock, and most of the time, it's less than that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode