Laney GH50L - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

Laney GH50L

Hey guys im pretty interested in this amp as i've heard really good things about it. I've heard one clip of it too and liked the sound of it. But i really wanna play with one myself up close so i know for deffinate it's the amp for me. But the guitar shops near me don't have them in, they only have the smaller valve combos. Is there any where in the UK near London that has the amp in stock?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2005, 11:57 AM

Re: Laney GH50L

http://www.headstockdistribution.com Maybe try them or check out the laney website to find dealers.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 04:24 AM

Laney amps rocks !

you should listen to Paul Gilbert, he uses the Laney GH100L and he gets some really nice tones !
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 05:01 AM

I am thinking of getting the same one actually Steve. I need/want a new amp head, and cant decide between 3 different amps. I have never played out of any of them - so what I really need to do is get to a "decent" shop and try them all. Because thats the only way you can tell if you like an amp - by playing through it.

I am tied at the moment between the Marshall 1987x, Laney GH50L, and the THD Univalve. Although saying that, I also like the look of the Engl Thunder 50 too.

My local store is rubbish, so I will have to venture out if I want to play them all first.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.godfather
I am thinking of getting the same one actually Steve. I need/want a new amp head, and cant decide between 3 different amps. I have never played out of any of them - so what I really need to do is get to a "decent" shop and try them all. Because thats the only way you can tell if you like an amp - by playing through it.

I am tied at the moment between the Marshall 1987x, Laney GH50L, and the THD Univalve. Although saying that, I also like the look of the Engl Thunder 50 too.

My local store is rubbish, so I will have to venture out if I want to play them all first.
I've also been interested in ENGL too. I've played through a Fireball and Thunder 50 and both sound awesome. They literally shook the whole room and the master volume wasn't even that high. I'm going to wembley guitar centre on tuesday to try out a GH hopefully, i'll let you know of my opinion of it. If i don't like it, then ENGL is the way for me
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 02:59 PM

If you're fine about not having a dedicated clean channel then go for it. I guess you both were lovin' PG's tone at Letchworth?

I think I will purchase a used VC50. Laney are awesome, I used to have a VH100R, it was slightly too much for me, as I'm just a bedroom player. The clean channel was the most impressive thing for me though. An awesome crystal clear clean tone. Other than the missing clean channel the GH50L is identical to the VH100R.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adagio_777
If you're fine about not having a dedicated clean channel then go for it. I guess you both were lovin' PG's tone at Letchworth?
lol, spot on.
That was the main reason for me looking at it. Not only that, but it was also because it was relatively cheap, and had some good reviews.
I dont play clean anyways. And when I do, I dont need anything decent at all. The Laney sounds like exactly what I want.

But with amps I am very fussy. I have to have a "good one" for me to get one. I have had so much bad luck with previous amps, and thats why I am very fussy amp-wise.

As I say, I need to try all of the three/four amps that I mentioned. I have looked everywhere, and cant find a store that has all of them, and that is local. So it looks like I may have to do some travelling around.

It will be worth it if I get a good one though.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adagio_777

I think I will purchase a used VC50. Laney are awesome, I used to have a VH100R, it was slightly too much for me, as I'm just a bedroom player. The clean channel was the most impressive thing for me though. An awesome crystal clear clean tone. Other than the missing clean channel the GH50L is identical to the VH100R.
Yep, his tone was awesome, but i've also heard the GH can do heavier things too. I'm not too botherd about an absolutly clean sound. i like a bit of dirt in there, like SRV and Rory Gallagher.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 06:50 PM

Check out Mattias Eklundh from Freak Kitchen. He claims to use nothing other than his Laney VH100R and his Caparison model. As I said, it's identical to the GH50L other than, it has the clean channel.

EDIT: Oh, Andy Timmons too, I love his tone.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2005, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

I already have his Freak guitar album:-) not too keen on his rhythm tone but i really like his lead tone and andy timmons owns

Tags
amp head , andy timmons , clean tone , engl thunder , guitar shop , paul gilbert

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode