Laney LC30 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 01:04 AM Thread Starter

Laney LC30

i was hoping to find someone here who has played or owns one of these amps. i like playing lots of satch and vai stuff. i went to the laney site and the demo sounded great. would this amp be good for in house use? i dont have to be super quiet or anything. will i be able to get the sounds im lookinf for? thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 06:52 AM

Reviews: 120
Re: Laney LC30

So you're not interested in the HT-5 now?

I've heard that Laney's tend to have a bit of a fizzy tone. I always thought that Paul Giblert got some good tones from his Laneys, but he definitely sounds better now through his Marshall Vintage Modern. Mikael Akerfeldt from Opeth gets some nice tones too through Laneys, but I can hear the fizziness.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 06:53 AM

once again-

CARVIN LEGACY
CHEAP AND GOOD
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 08:22 AM

I've had a chance to try the LC30, VC30 and VC50... I'd take a used VC50 any day of the week for classic/instrumental rock. The VC30 isn't bad though - a simple speaker upgrade will give you a really good amp for practice or gigs (yes, it's loud enough for indoor gigs without mic'ing). I love vintage voiced amps so that should tell you why I preferred the VC's over an LC.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
So you're not interested in the HT-5 now?

I've heard that Laney's tend to have a bit of a fizzy tone. I always thought that Paul Giblert got some good tones from his Laneys, but he definitely sounds better now through his Marshall Vintage Modern. Mikael Akerfeldt from Opeth gets some nice tones too through Laneys, but I can hear the fizziness.
no im still interested in the HT-5 and will get it. but still just looking around. how has yours been treating you?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by teokiatuan View Post
once again-

CARVIN LEGACY
CHEAP AND GOOD
are you talking about the carvin legacy 2X12 combo? if so i really like that amp. i think it can be at 50 or 100 watts and 50 im assuming will be too loud for at home.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_paul_ski View Post
are you talking about the carvin legacy 2X12 combo? if so i really like that amp. i think it can be at 50 or 100 watts and 50 im assuming will be too loud for at home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_paul_ski View Post
would this amp be good for in house use? i dont have to be super quiet or anything.
Yeah it is a loud amp,but WHO CARES

At 400-500usd used for the head, its really is a no brainer in my opinion...

Teo
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yeah it is a loud amp,but WHO CARES

At 400-500usd used for the head, its really is a no brainer in my opinion...

Teo
what do you think about the 2X12 combo in the serries 1? i think it goes for $1100
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 11:45 AM

I think you'd be hard pressed to find another 212 with celestions for the same price.
Most heads start from a grand, much less with speakers.

JUST GO FOR IT

Teo
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I think you'd be hard pressed to find another 212 with celestions for the same price.
Most heads start from a grand, much less with speakers.

JUST GO FOR IT

Teo
cool thanks TEO. i just worry about home play wich is what ill be doing unless the chance to jam presents its self. i want to make sure that i can get the sweet spot of the amp without blowing the roof off. but yea that amp looks killer!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 03:05 PM

I have LC30, but I took out the stock Celestion 70 80 and put Classic Lead 80 inside and it sounds a lot better than with stock speaker. You can easily get hard rock/heavy sounds using a booster like tubescreamer (I use an '85 metal screamer, basically the same thing as TS) in front of a dirty amp. Or you can use some good drive pedal in front of clean amp (again, I use AMT electronics Extreme III, great high gain pedal and Jemini for more moderate drive)
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibboom77 View Post
I have LC30, but I took out the stock Celestion 70 80 and put Classic Lead 80 inside and it sounds a lot better than with stock speaker. You can easily get hard rock/heavy sounds using a booster like tubescreamer (I use an '85 metal screamer, basically the same thing as TS) in front of a dirty amp. Or you can use some good drive pedal in front of clean amp (again, I use AMT electronics Extreme III, great high gain pedal and Jemini for more moderate drive)
i have a similar set up with this amp. i own one (along with a GL50 head) and it's a really great sounding amp, especially considering how much i paid for it (they have poor resale value, so you can get them cheap used on e-bay). i also replaced the stock speaker with a red coat emminence and it sounds much clearer. cleans are superb and it has sort of a marshall-esque snarl on the gain channel. the gain does get a little 'fizzy' when you run it high, but like jibboom, i run the gain pretty low and then stack a couple of overdrives on top (modded ts9 and a bb xotic pre). i get great tone out of this amp with that set-up.

keep in mind that while it is a 30w 1x12, it still is pretty loud. i can barely get it to 3 at band practice. seems to be the standard thing with laney.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastachild View Post
i have a similar set up with this amp. i own one (along with a GL50 head) and it's a really great sounding amp, especially considering how much i paid for it (they have poor resale value, so you can get them cheap used on e-bay). i also replaced the stock speaker with a red coat emminence and it sounds much clearer. cleans are superb and it has sort of a marshall-esque snarl on the gain channel. the gain does get a little 'fizzy' when you run it high, but like jibboom, i run the gain pretty low and then stack a couple of overdrives on top (modded ts9 and a bb xotic pre). i get great tone out of this amp with that set-up.

keep in mind that while it is a 30w 1x12, it still is pretty loud. i can barely get it to 3 at band practice. seems to be the standard thing with laney.
Couldn't agree more! I played it along with Mesa F50 head through 2x12 box, and Laney was way louder then Mesa! Fizzyness on drive channel comes out if gain level iz 7 or more (at high volume levels) so it's better to open up the amp's volume level and let the power tubes do the job. You can get the similar result on clean channel, kick the volume all the way and then hit it with TS...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode