Laney TT vs VH - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Laney TT vs VH

Hey guys. I'm thinking of getting rid of my 7 string ( i don't really play it much anymore) so i was thinking of selling it or trading it. Marshall JCM800's were in consideration, but i also like the thought of Laneys as i love the tone Kiko Loureiro gets from his VH100, the same with Andy Timmons. Sounds very smooth and full with really nice cleans. The TT100 is also something i might like due to all the channels with seperate E.Q's. What do you guys think? Any one have any clips of either of these amps recorded dry?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 08:08 PM

Re: Laney TT vs VH

The 2 amps are a bit different in tone and gain. The TT is supposedly smoother and lower gain than the VH. I would say if you play metal at all get th VH.

Oh yeah, and get an attenuator, like a hotplate, because these are LOUD!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 05:53 PM

I tried them both head to head- it was about a year ago, but I think I can remember.

The VH has a greater range of tones than the TT. It gets from Fender-y cleans to modern metal a la killswitch engage (the tone, I'm not trying to say KSE are metal!) even at low volumes. It's kind of bright and dark toned at the same time, IMO- kind of like if you crossed an engl powerball with a mesa recto. It's kind of hard-sounding too- more a metal amp, IMO, despite the range of tones.

the TT has got warmer cleans, and doesn't have as much gain. However it's a lot smoother, has a better lead tone- more of a hard rock amp. EDIT: it'll get you much more the timmons tone you crave. But as you say, the vh will get you the other tone you want, lol.

Basically, it just depends which you prefer more, and which suits the music you play better. I think I prefer the TT. But they're virtually the same price, so it's preference.

Hope that helped- but you need to try them yourself, if you can.

EDIT: oh, i tried them in the wembley guitar centre in north london- that's not too far from hertfordhire, it's like the next county up from north london, right? I'd give them a ring to see if they have them in stock...
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 06:53 PM

I got a GL50 about a month ago. I'm not bothered by it only having 1 channel, because my GOD that one channel sounds good. With my guitar (RG8670) it's a very smooth, large and round tone.

The switching between 'clean' and OD is not your average, because if you have a high gain sound dialed in, it won't be 'clean' more of a light blues OD. This doesn't particularly bother me, because I prefer to use the volume knob to control the gain.

The EQ responds well to changes, very drastic effects. It's not hard to get The Great Gilberto's tone from it either.

Overall, I *LOVE* this amp. Such a bargain for their prices, aswell. You will *need* a power attenuator to use this thing in a house. I'm only running it thru one speaker of a 2x12, and I can't turn it up past 1.5 without rumbling the floor and over powering the TV downstairs.

I can't speak for the TT because I havn't tried one out.

~M

Tags
andy timmons , engl powerball , kiko loureiro , mesa recto

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode