Learned to play (somewhat) = major GAS attack. - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Learned to play (somewhat) = major GAS attack.

I've gone 2 years now with cheapo, easy to use gear. Ibanez SA guitar, Peavy Rage 15 watt, Line6 DM4. Great for beginning the guitar, but I've never liked the tone, and although I could probably tweak it better, it'll never get as good as I want.

So I'm finally going to go out and get some real gear. Intermediate to experienced level stuff. I decided to browse through user forums (like here) and I see tons of info.

Right now I really need a new amp, my rage is a good practice amp, but I'm beginning to get a tone sensitive ear. One of my favorite tones of all time is the Dream Theater SFAM album, any suggestions for even remotely emulating this would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 04:03 PM

Budget?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 06:30 PM

Well, for SFAM John Petrucci used Mesa Boogies and I believe his EB/MM signiture model guitars. He also uses a whole bunch of rack effects. To emulate his tone would cost a fortune, but i'm sure you could do it well for relatively little money.

Try looking at what second hand Mesas you can get, and also at the EB/MM JPM. If you can't afford that then OLP announced a JPM copy recently. I don't know if its out yet though.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-09-2004, 07:59 PM

most of the mesas i've played can't get the petrucci tone it seems without a bunch of a effects. the dual rect in my opinion sucks big time.. I would say it has to be one of the muddiest/grittiest/disgusting amps i've ever heard.. i'm still a big fan of mesa.. I'm looking to buy a mark IV in the near future. Very Clear Warm Tone. but probably out of your budget. If that is you style. I would try geting some mid level ibanez.. maybe one of the new prestiges. rg1570, etc. never played one. but i bet they are decent playing instruments. Amps.... your choice man, everyone has what they like. it just depends on your budget.. what i have found though is running a good delay through the effects loop really adds to the sound. knowing your budget would help us come up with some ideas for you though.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2004, 10:10 AM

I can't say for 100% certian, but I'd imagine SFAM was Rectos layered against a Mark IIC+; that was his awake rhythm tone, and they're reasonably similar. A Mark-IV might be a good way to go, for his lead tones, but it won't qwuite cut it for rhythm.

A good compromise might be a Mesa Nomad. I rememebr someone posted Nomad 45 clips around here once (track7, maybe) of the "pull me udner" riff, and double-tracked had the tone absolutely NAILED. You wouldn't get quite as smooth a lead tone as a Mark, but it'd be a lot closer to both his rhythm and his lead sound than a mark-iv or a rectifier would be.

-D

Tags
john petrucci , mark iic , mesa boogie , mesa nomad , practice amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode