Legacy Cabinet - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2003, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Legacy Cabinet

How is the Legacy Cabinet? I really like the Vintage 30 sound, and I know this amp comes with them, but is a lot less expensive than other cabs with them. Is the main reason for this just the name on front, better quality or what? The Legacy Cab is 500, and the Mesa Boogie is almost 900, I think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Someone is bound to have an answer.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 11:32 AM
EKG

I have the Legacy Cabinet, but it has the Greenbacks in it. It is a good, solid sounding cabinet.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 05:17 PM
ns9

Love mine! I tend toward custom loaded cabinets, but for "stock," really like it. Nikki
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 07:19 PM

Reviews: 3
I have one, Im selling it but thats not because I dont love it. Its a realy beautiful sounding cab but Im taking my rig in a different direction. I would highly reccomend them.

Jay
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Anyone know why their is such a price jump?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbantz41
Anyone know why their is such a price jump?
That's mesa for you... They build the things like tanks, then sell them at list.

I've got a Recto 2x12. True, it's half the cab of a Legacy for the same price, but 75 pounds is enough, and 105, as cool as the full stack would have looked, would have just been backbreaking- no roadie for me just yet. what do i think of it? Dear god... i never fully appreciated it until my TSL got two pints spilled over it and went into the shop to be de-beered and re-tubed. I borrowed a friend's DSL-401 for a gig, and while i'd always liked that combo (almost bought one, in fact), I just couldn't get an inspiring tone out of it- the bass seemed flabby, mids indistinct, and the treble abrasive. Just for kicks, i hooked it up to my Recto cab, and oh my god did it make a difference- suddenly, the bass filled out, treble just came alive, and the highs were SO silky. Part of that is the V-30's, of course, but part of that is also the design and construction of the cab. It just killed me- it sounded almost as good as the TSL.

So in short, yes, you do pay for the Mesa name- they don't discount at all. However, they also build their amps and cabs at a ridiculously high standard. Whether or not it's the cab for you will depend on what your ears and your walllet tells you, but it's a great cab.

-D
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

How do you like the TSL Drew?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 11:48 PM

As Drew knows, I also have a mesa 2x12 and love it...cabinet choice makes a huge difference in how your amp can sound. I used to put my modded TSL through it, but it was wayyyy too much amp for me. I subsequently bought a Mesa Nomad 2x12 that also has vintage 30's in it, but it is open back. Plugging in the closed back recto cab while also using the open back combo speakers is the best of both worlds. Big fat mesa low end with a beautiful glassy high end...the mesa 2x12s can seem a little too heavy in the mids especially with a marshall driving them, at least for my tastes. Smacking the lead channel with my UVPWH it is just massive.

Never had another 2x12 so I can't compare, but mesa builds top shelf stuff and they stand behind it like none other. Look for a used one and save some coin...but hit the gym, they're heavy. My combo is about to kill me.

I have heard great things about the THD 2x12...but get you check book out, it's really freakin expensive....but it weighs a lot less than the mesa.

Tags
mesa boogie , mesa nomad , recto cab

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode