Legacy Combo Help? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 07:08 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Legacy Combo Help?

I am seriously thinking of getting a Legacy Combo ( the first one) but will only be using it at home. I have heard that they are very loud but most people say that you can use them at very low volume and still get a decent tone. I have heard that an attenuator will allow you to push the amp at higher volumes but still lower the output to make it ok for bedroom use. The question is, can you use the attenuator with a combo amp , will it make much difference or are the volume issues nothing to worry about and I can use the amp with no mods.
I play mainly in the same style of Vai and Satch so that is the sort of distortion and tone I am looking for without upsetting the neighbours.
I curently have a Line6 Flextone 2 rated at 60w. How will the Legacy compare to the Line 6 amp in compariosn with tone and volume.
I look forward to any advice you can throw at me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 09:06 AM

Re: Legacy Combo Help?

hey there

i too live in an apartment with pretty tight noise constraints
im still waiting for my legacy to come back from the amp tech to play it for the first time
if its too loud im looking at one of these, very cheap...

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f30/le...=master+volume

i too am curious about how loud it is... what to do but wait...

Last edited by teokiatuan; 08-08-2009 at 09:10 AM. Reason: added
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 03:43 PM

Reviews: 2

That mod seems to work fine. You can also put a volume box in the loop (search fleabey), tehy only cost 15$. The legacy's master (there is no), is always on 10. just not so practical.

it's not to be compared with a line6 amp. The legacy's clean is so full and warm. Although, besides my legacy head I also have a pod X3 live that I use for practice with headphones.

I also have a Atomic Reactor 50-212 amp. THE nr modeler amplifier, I'm planning to sell because I don't use it besides the legacy and my 9 months old daughters room ), so if you're interested, I'm going to put it up for sale soon, pm me.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 04:29 PM

Reviews: 59

The Legacy has a reputation for being extremely loud and it will give you a richer sound and the distortion will be much more complex than any of the modellers. That said, at low volumes you probably won't hear the differences as distinctly since tube amps usually sound best when pushed a least a little. Using an attenuator with the combo, yes it is certainly possible, will help reduce the volume to managable levels, but it will affect the tone to a varying degree. Speakers need to be pushed to sound the way they're supposed to and that's part of the "full" or "alive" sound that tube amps are renowned for. In my experience, attenuators are great for taking full blown amps and cutting their volume to 3/4 or even 1/2. Any more than that and you would want to make some EQ adjustments to compensate for some tone loss that will occur by bringing the volume down to conversation/bedroom levels.
As for tone, remember that Vai pushes his Legacy with various pedals. Same goes for Satriani, who probably relies on pedals even more for his distortions than Vai. You may find that the Legacy will not give you that rediculous satchuration on it's own and you might still need additional pedals to push it.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 08:23 AM

Reviews: 2

Some other Legacy tips. Like I said it sounds really warm and full, the lead channel as well, and it has plenty of gain, but.... you absolutely need to try some boosters in front like smooth55 said, and an EQ in the loop is a must to tune to the tone you like. Absolutely great amp for lead guitar. If you want heavy mostly tight rhythm stuff, the Legacy can do some with an EQ, but if that's the only thing you play, get something else. I just stick a Line6 ubermetal before the all-pedal-taking-clean channel and I'm happy enough

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode