Legacy Drive or Legacy 3 - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Legacy Drive or Legacy 3

Hey guys, if I were to buy a Legacy, should I choose the drive pre amp or Legacy 3? I have a Marshall Amp at home, so I could just run the legacy drive preamp into the Marshall power amp, since I would not be using the Marshall amp.
Which one does have a better tone? The legacy drive is based on the Legacy 1, which Steve Vai thinks has the best tone, and the Legacy 3, well it's the Legacy 3. Steve Vai seems to use either the Legacy Drive preamp or the Legacy 1. So which one should I go for?
Regarding price too, here in Europe the Legacy 3 is 1000? while the drive is 500?
Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 09:44 PM

Re: Legacy Drive or Legacy 3

What Marshall do you have? That is a rather important piece to this puzzle.

I do not remember my Carvin Legacy 1 Combo sounding quite like the VLD1. The VLD1 seems to sound quite a bit better than my Legacy did but I am comparing a YouTube video with an amp I owned 15 years ago so leave some margin for error and forgetfulness.

The VLD1 does seem like a cool preamp, but if your Marshall has a solid-state power section than I think the VL300 makes more sense. If your Marshall has an all tube power section and a Master Volume control, then I would say it is "6 of one, a half dozen of the other."

Good luck!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 05:40 AM Thread Starter

It is a JCM 900, I think it is a all tube power amp.
Thanks, so the VLD1 would make more sense.
Thanks!
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fouto17 View Post
It is a JCM 900, I think it is a all tube power amp.
Thanks, so the VLD1 would make more sense.
Thanks!
Yes, it is. Just a heads up, if your Marshall does not have a Master Volume control and you bypass the preamp, you will be getting all the wattage the Marshall power amp has to give. You do not want that. If your Marshall does have a Master Volume control, you can control the volume. You do want that.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 03:04 PM

I got a VLD1 as I didn't have space for another amp and use it with a early Vox modelling amp (AD120VT).

Once I got all the settings dialled in it sure sounded good to me.

The key was to connect to the effects loop return rather than the guitar input of the amp and by-pass the pre-amp.

That way the amp is just being used as a power amp and for the Celestion speakers.

I find both the drive and clean channels on the VLD1 offer more detail, a richness to the sound, and a responsiveness to your touch/attack like a really good quality valve amp - something I felt I hadn't really got in my "Vai" type setup before.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for the responses!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 09:30 AM

It's funny I am currently going thru the same exact issue. I have a MarshallJCM 900 and a Marshall anniversary cab, and want to get the carvin legacy tube pedal to make this sound more hype. That or just try to get my hands on a legacy head. Has anyone tried the pedal thru the Marshall? What results did you get? Does it still give You that authentic vai sound?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode