Legacy effect loop - possible ground loop hum? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2001, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Legacy effect loop - possible ground loop hum?

I've had a legacy half stack for about a year and have enjoyed it. *During that time I've been running an
Intellifex in the loop and it has operated quietly. *Usually, I would just set the Intellifex on top of the head.

Now, I just got a GCX audio switcher so I can switch between my Triaxis / 2:90 setup and my Legacy setup
without messing with cables. *I want to use the Intellifex for both rigs so I've moved it into the rack. *With
the Mesa loops the Intellifex is perfectly quiet... but the legacy loop now has this very loud hum. *Is this
a ground loop situation? *Everything is powered from the same outlet via a Furman strip. *If I move the Intellifex
back to the top of the head it is quiet again.

BTW, I've put the Intellifex in the rack and cabled the Legacy loop directly to it (to eliminate the GCX switcher
from the picture) and I still get the loud hum.

Any ideas on what I should try to fix this?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2001, 02:05 PM

Legacy effect loop

Hey Bill.

Is yer Intellifex using one of those goofy wall-wart power adapters like my Hush IICX is? If so that's your problem. You need to ground that power supply somehow before you plug it into your Furman.

My Hush hums like crazy, kinda ironic innit?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2001, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Legacy effect loop

Hey Jeffrey,

Yep, it's using one of the wallwarts. *So, if it is causing the hum, wouldn't I hear it when running between
the Triaxis and the 2:90? *Also, even when I set the intellifex on top of the legacy head I still usually have
it plugged into the furman in my rack so I can power everything up with one switch (and I don't get the hum).
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2001, 02:46 PM

Legacy effect loop

I dunno.

It's kinda strange I admit. Check out my scenario.

If I run through the hush direct (guitar > hush > amp), not that I'd ever use it that way I did it just for testing.

If I run it like that , it doesn't hum. Put it in the loop, it hums like crazy.

Hrm. Know what I just thought of? Those wall warts put out RFI. I wonder if that wall wart being up in my rack is the problem being it's so close to my effects units.

I need to try plugging it into the wall or something.

It's the same thing with some ppl using AC adapters on pedals. Makes'em hum like crazy, use a battery, no hum.

I'm gonna try and plug that thing into the wall just for the hell of it, see if I lose the hum.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2001, 03:05 PM

Legacy effect loop

Well ****.

I think my Furman PL-8 is dead. I unplugged everything and plugged it into a little APC powerstrip and it's all fine, hum-free.

Argh.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode