Legacy and EMGs - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 06:03 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Legacy and EMGs

hi!

how does this amps sound with EMGs?

10x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2005, 11:59 PM
Gex

Re: Legacy and EMGs

****, I imagine.

Not really the amp's fault, EMGs make any amp sound terrible.

/personal opinion
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-23-2005, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gex
****, I imagine.

Not really the amp's fault, EMGs make any amp sound terrible.

/personal opinion
agreed. passives sound so much more real to me.. also personal opinion
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-23-2005, 12:39 AM

Yes, it's all about personal opinion and obviously the two previous posters aren't big fans of EMGs. Personally, I think that EMGs rock. They are great pickups to have when you're trying to cut through the mix, not to mention that they are high output pickups with a really clear tonal quality which is just awesome to have for metal of any kind. Of course, I like passive pickups just as much as I like EMGs. A better question might have been "How does this amp sound?" or "Describe the tonal qualities of this amp and how various pickups (active and passive) affect its basic tone."

But regardless, it's all going to boil down to personal opinion. Some people might not like that amp to begin with in the first place so it won't matter what kind of pickups you're using.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-23-2005, 03:14 AM

hmm... just some thoughts,

every now and then a post appears about EMGs, and the asnwers are allways the same, some people (who propably havent even touched a guitar with emgs, not to say to try a few and spend some time with them) say that they sound terrible and make every guitar sound the same... that is totally incorrect!!!

then there are some that say that they are not their cup of tee (understandable, it wouldnt be cool if everybody had the same tastes!!)

and the some people who like them because they are noisless, loves their definition, their clarity & their power..

but most people that likes EMG, dont hate all the other pickups, they just find something about the EMGs that they like very much and maybe other pickups cant give them or have guitars with differnet pickups for different uses, the sad think is that some people that say they prefer passives seems to put blinkers in their eyes, and just hate them!!

i just cant understand why they have to hate them, you dont have to adore them, but to say they suck is something completelly different...

just some thoughts, and my personal opinion of course...

thank you

konstantine

Last edited by Avatar_k83; 11-23-2005 at 03:20 AM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-23-2005, 04:26 PM

Mmm, passive pickups work more with the body woods and such then active pickups.

I've got mates who have EMG pickups. One has a les paul with EMGs and one has a superstrat with EMG and they both sound identical. I really think they ruin the tone. That's just my opinion though.

I'd prefer passive pickups anyday, so i guess my view of active pickups through a legacy would just be erm... yeah, **** haha
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-24-2005, 06:28 AM

with what amp does they sound identical??

because in my podxt, my chepo ibanez with the stock pu, my RG550 with dimarzios (Evolution and Air Norton) and my ESP with EMGs 85 and 60 sound very similar

but when i play through my Mark IV or other amps, there is a HUGE!!! differnce between my guitars

when i removed the 81 from the bridge of my ESP, i thought "i shoud put this to the chepo ibanez to make it sound good.." (its an RG170 that my ex-girlfriend got it for my, for my birthday) sure there was an imporvemt in tone, but it didnt make the Ibanez sound like my ESP is any way!!!! so i decided to sell the 81...

yes, active pus have charachter, they put it to your guitar, but also amps have charachter, that doesnt mean that when you plug any guitar to an amp, they will all sound the same, thay'll have the same charachter though.. thats how active pups work...

then its up to you, if you like that character or not... and please people, there are other EMG pickups except the 81!!!

its not better than passives, just different, although thay have some characteristics that i would love to have in a passive also....

again, my personal experice and opinion..
thank you

konstantine
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1

thanks for comments

any sound samples?

Tags
air norton , high output pickups , les paul , output pickup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode