Legacy III Head and Leagacy I Combo - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Legacy III Head and Leagacy I Combo

I am thinking of upgrading to the Legacy III. The biggest feature that I like is the ability to use it in 15 Watt mode. I have an orange tiny terror, and I love the fact I can crank it and record, and not wake everyone in the house. This is a major downside with the Legacy I.

The only info I could find is the Legacy uses the clean channel from the Legacy I and the drive channel from the Legacy 2. I am not sure if this is accurate or not.

Outside of the above information, I have not been able to find any reviews on the Legacy III. Can any one give me any guidance as to if this piece of gear is worth it? If it is, I have a Legacy I combo amp. Should I sell it, or keep it. If the Legacy is that good, is there a reason to keep the Legacy I.

I appreciate everyone's input in advance, and have a great weekend,

Jody
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 08:09 PM

Re: Legacy III Head and Leagacy I Combo

The info you have on the channel gain structure is correct. One thing to note, since your L1 is a combo, is that the L3 is not avail in a true combo config. The best you can do is what Carvin calls a "mini stack" which is the head & matched 212 cab.

They seem to have mixed reviews... None "bad" per SW, but range from mediocre to outstanding. I think this amp is slightly less versatile I'm it's gain structure than some of its competitors as it is not really designed for the modern "brutal death metal" über drop tuned sound. It is Vai's amp. If you like his tone & style you should like his amp overall. I can tell you it works very well for what I classify as "hard rock" both classic and modern. Sounds amazing in my 80's metal cover band. Accepts fx well both in front of the amp and through the loop. Overall a good choice, especially for the price (1/3 of comparably equipped Mesas).

So in summary - if you like your L1 you will like the L3. Just might not like the non-combo platform with this ver.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Hey thanks for the summary. I love the Legacy 1. My only beef is I do not have the room to play it. It is way to loud. When I saw the new 3 has the ability to go to 15 Watt, that is what peeked my interest.

I don't play alot of classic rock and blues. Nothing two heavy.

The only thing I have thought about is keeping the Legacy 1 and run the Legacy through the speakers of the combo. I will save a few bucks on speakers, or just buy the two speaker microstack.

Again, thanks for the summary it was awesome.

Have a great weekend,

J
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 09:32 PM

Hey no worries. One extra word of warning though... Wattage and volume are NOT linearly related. In fact a review of this exact amp (L3) said the difference between 100w mode and 15w mode was about 6-8dB. But the built in master volume is a nice feature that helps mitigate this as well. Just thought it was worth mentioning cuz a lot of people automatically equate low wattage with low volume but low wattage amps can still really crank! In fact in my cover band I have run my 120w 5150 andy rhythm guitarist ran his 15w Orange Dark Terror and volume wise we could match right up. Kinda cool actually!

But yes I def like the new multi wattage features several of the newer amps such as the L3 are incorporating. Another nice feature of the L3 is you can run 6L6 or EL34's in your power section & it has a bias switch to accommodate the change. Makes It very versatile tonally.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 09:35 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Damn--I've still gotta get my Legacy 1 fixed!!!

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

I know they can crank. I have an orange tiny terror. I can play in my band and have it fully heard. What I like is I can record at home and push the tubes a little more with some more volume and not wake up my family. That is why I am truly interested in the Legacy 3. The Legacy 1, I can't crank it without shaking the foundation great amp, don't get me wrong, just way to loud for playing in my house I love the tones it can produce. That is why I was very curious with the Legacy 3 and how it compares soundwise to the 1.

You did a great summary and have helped me out greatly. I truly appreciate it

J-
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 03:58 AM

hi jody,i have a legacy 3,firstly both channels are from the legacy 1,not 1 and 2 as you say in your op.
the master volume works really well on this amp so you would have no worries using at home on any of the wattages,and as stated there is very little volume difference between 15w an 100w only tonal changes and earlier breakup.
you could of course do a ppi master volume mod on your legacy1.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for info Paul. Do you have resources that you could share on adding the ppi master volume mod? I have no idea on how to do it, but I have some people that would know if I can get them the resources. I really like the legacy, and if there is a way to save money, I am all for it.

Have a great day,

Jody
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 09:26 AM

hi jody,if you go on the carvin forum and do a search the info can be found on there.
the mod is really cheap to do,1 knob,4 caps,bit of shrink tube and some wire,2 caps in the amp have to be removed.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulh123 View Post
hi jody,i have a legacy 3,firstly both channels are from the legacy 1,not 1 and 2 as you say in your op.
the master volume works really well on this amp so you would have no worries using at home on any of the wattages,and as stated there is very little volume difference between 15w an 100w only tonal changes and earlier breakup.
you could of course do a ppi master volume mod on your legacy1.
I'm sorry to be argumentative but you are incorrect. Channels 1 & 2 are the clean & dist channels from the L1. Channel 3 is the heavier distortion stack from the L2. The whole concept of the L3 was to combine the best of both previous versions. This is straight from Carvin, not me. I bought me L3 in the Carvin store in Hollyweird and talked extensively with the Carvin folks about it prior to purchase. Even Vai talks about it in his lengthy demo video of the L3.

But don't take it from me... Check out Carvin's site:

http://www.carvinguitars.com/guitara...acy3series.php

Last edited by kfssdude; 08-12-2012 at 11:59 AM.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 12:39 PM

nope,
via says he never liked the legacy 2,both channels are taken from the legacy 1,ive even checked the L1 schematic against the L3 circuitry,ive also been a carvin forum member for a few years now so have spent plenty of time on carvins website
quote from the link you attached;channel 1&2 are the same as the original channel 1&2 found on the legacy1(your getting confused with channel 1&2 and legacy 1&2)
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
nope,
via says he never liked the legacy 2,both channels are taken from the legacy 1,ive even checked the L1 schematic against the L3 circuitry,ive also been a carvin forum member for a few years now so have spent plenty of time on carvins website
quote from the link you attached;channel 1&2 are the same as the original channel 1&2 found on the legacy1(your getting confused with channel 1&2 and legacy 1&2)
Dude, the L3 is a THREE CHANNEL head. 1&2 are from the L1, just as you say. However there is a THIRD CHANNEL which came from the L2. I'm not arguing the origin of the 1st 2 channels. They are from the L1 and yes, Vai along with a lot of others were not happy with the changes made to these channels in the L2 which is why they were restored to original L1 specs in the L3. However, the L2 offered more gain which many people DID like, thus the L3 incorporated that higher gain channel as the 3rd channel on the L3. Vai uses it as his saturated lead channel.

If you own an L3 and are familiar with this head & Carvin forums this should not be any new news to you... Not sure why we're arguing? Do you have some sort of prototype 2-ch L3 or the normal 3-ch ver the rest of us have?
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 01:16 PM

the 3rd channel on the L3 is identical to the 2nd,it just incorporates a high gain switch,nothing to do with the L2,the L2 had a gain boost on the clean channel.
as i say,there is nothing from the L2 on the L3 other than the master volume.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
the 3rd channel on the L3 is identical to the 2nd,it just incorporates a high gain switch,nothing to do with the L2,the L2 had a gain boost on the clean channel.
as i say,there is nothing from the L2 on the L3 other than the master volume.
Oh ok I gotcha. That explains the discrepancy then. I never played an L2. The Carvin guys in the Carvin store told me the 3rd ch came from the L2, and the online reviews available back when I bought the amp when it was first released (around March, I believe) seemed to coraborate this info. However I have not compared schematics between the 3 versions so if you have & thats the case ok. I am apparently mistaken about the 3rd channel's origin.

Sorry for any misinformation. Not my intent.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

From what I have gathered, the L3 is the best of from the L1 and L2. It looks like I can combine everything with the L3, and have more than what I have with the L1 Combo. As a bonus, it is way lighter too

Thanks for all of your help, and have a great weekend,

J-

Tags
carvin , legacy 3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode