Legacy or JSX???? - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Legacy or JSX????

I may be replacing my Mesa Single Rectifier with one of these. Can I get some feedback on each if you have experienced the tones on these amps?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 11:18 PM
Gex

Re: Legacy or JSX????

Yeah.

Legacy makes you sound like Vai.

JSX makes you sound like Satch.

Simple as that man, if you've got the chops, thats what the end result will sound like.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-24-2005, 11:53 PM

why you losing the recto (just curious)??
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcbest
why you losing the recto (just curious)??
I`m looking for a more tonefull amp, the Recto is good but just single sounded if you know what I mean.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 12:33 AM

The Legacy will make you sound like Vai IF you are looking to sound like Vai, same for the JSX, you'll sound like Joe if you are looking to sound like Joe.... I would go for a budget and sound thing here, they both are great amps... but the JSX will give you an additional channel, higher gain than the Legacy, one less pedal to use on the JSX and one more in the Legacy if you need a high gain sound......the Legacy goes for less than US$1k in the US, plus a cabinet or US$1k for the combo version.... the JSX goes for almost $1.5k, plus a cabinet, or $1.5k for the combo version.... as you can read here, both are LOUD enough for most gigs.....
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchie
The JSX goes for almost $1.5k, plus a cabinet, or $1.5k for the combo version....
You can score a new JSX head anywhere in the US for $1199. Cash is king and you'll probably be able to haggle the price down to near $1000.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 06:06 AM Thread Starter

Sounds like the JSX is it. I`m not looking to sound like neither of them. I just want something different than the Mesa tone and cheaper than everything else out there and that is where the JSX and Legacy come in.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 06:13 AM

5150 man, the 5150. Yes, it is a high gain amp but it can do the marshall crunch damn well on the rhythm channel and more gain that you will ever need in the lead channel. The cleans isn't the best but it is usable. Just don't expect Fender clean.

But when it comes to pure unadulterated rock, 5150 is the way to go.

And they are cheap as hell nowadays.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 04:12 PM

I do not "know what you mean", my recto isn't "just single sounded".

Having said that, I will probably add an amp that runs EL34's in the near future (i.e. Mesa Stilletto or Carvin Legacy) but not because the Rect-O-Verb is in any way lacking tone...
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-27-2005, 04:47 PM

Mark IV!!!

Well, I'd go with the Legacy. Somehow Joe's tone just sucked on Live In Denver.
Live In San Francisco sounded waaaayy smoother when he still played Marshalls.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proview
Mark IV!!!

Well, I'd go with the Legacy. Somehow Joe's tone just sucked on Live In Denver.
Live In San Francisco sounded waaaayy smoother when he still played Marshalls.
yeah his tone gained a little more edge to it. bare in mind when that dvd was recorded he was still using a beta version head and not the final product. his tone on the new G3 in tokyo is much smoother and some demos of satch with the amp at NAMM sounded way better as well.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-28-2005, 04:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanWyck
I do not "know what you mean", my recto isn't "just single sounded".
Mesa Rectifiers are good amps, this is my second one but now I`m looking for something a bit more versitile. The Recto line is killer for metal riffs but I got tired of the buzz. One thing I do like is the JJ6V6 in the Rectos but they will only work with the Dual and Triple. Couple of guys are running those tubes on the Axehouse forum, that is the buzz killer (smooth gain).

I found that I like the Channel 1 pushed with the gain maxed. It gets me close to that Marshall sound. I would go for a Marshall again as I onced owned a JCM800 but the price is to high for a new one and then there is the reliability issues with the old ones. Although it wouldn`t be a problem if a good tech lived in my area. Looks like the JSX is it. It`s versitle and cheap (used).

Last edited by PRSKILLER; 10-28-2005 at 04:35 AM.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmx23
5150 man, the 5150. Yes, it is a high gain amp but it can do the marshall crunch damn well on the rhythm channel and more gain that you will ever need in the lead channel. The cleans isn't the best but it is usable. Just don't expect Fender clean.

But when it comes to pure unadulterated rock, 5150 is the way to go.

And they are cheap as hell nowadays.
They're about as monotone as a recto, maybe more so. A lot of midrange, a little overkill for my liking. The cleans are the worst I have heard from a tube amp. If you need cleans, buy something else!

Last edited by red5; 10-29-2005 at 11:41 AM.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-29-2005, 01:09 PM

Now, I haven't played a recto but if by monotone you mean a one trick pony, I totally disagreed. This amp can pretty much cover anything within rock and metal realms, past, present, and beyond.

And the worst clean? This is where it becomes really subjective cause the clean is totally fine for what I am doing.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-31-2005, 09:05 PM

I recently went into a local guitar store with the idea of buying a new guitar. The amp I choose to play through was the JSX head through a 4x12 bottom.
I ended up just buying the amp. I had to have it.
Compared to the more expensive amps out there this one holds it's own.
3 channels, Clean, Chrunch, Ultra. 1 master volume.
There is so much headroom on the clean channel you have to hear it to believe it, the crunch channel is very bluesy and the Ultra is just that but not washed out. Still very defined.
Bottom line for a great amp that will do it all it's the JSX.
(been playing for 25 years and owned shxtload of amps, this ones a keeper)

Tags
distortion pedal , high gain amp , jsx head , mesa rectifier , tube amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode