Legacy question... - Jemsite
Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic Gear, Equipment, and Recording discussed here. Amps, pedals, whatever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-04-2003, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Legacy question...

Ok, so i'm in the market for a head/2x12 cab setup right now, to move away from my mesa combo (not as flexible as i'd want it to be, and it just doesn't cut live the same way a marshall does, i've discovered), and so far i'm very impressed with the TSL-100 head. However, Vai's gotten some great live tones out of his legacies... problem is, my favorite tone of his is the ALS-era sounds he was getting, prior to the legacy... in particular, i'm thinking "Bad Horsie" and "Die to Live." Can you get those sorts of sounds out of a legacy? if anyone's got one and could record me a short audio clip, it'd be much appreciated... Like i said, i was blown away by the TSL (oh god, the clean???!! ), but if you're going to be spending that kind of cash you might as well do your homework, right? Thanks.

-Drew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-05-2003, 04:10 PM

Drew, try PM'ing Eddie Kolesar. He's got a Legacy that he runs in conjunction with a THD hotplate attenuator. I'm sure he'd be happy to share his experiences.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-05-2003, 04:35 PM
EKG

I can't record anything for you. I can say that the amp has yet to get "muddy" on me. I can get really close to the Bad Horsie tone, the only thing missing is Steve's hands! I can get just about any sound I want out of it, especially with the HotPlate in the mix, as Gresh mentioned. I can really drive the tubes and keep it at any desired volume. I have noticed that the Legacy is very adjustable in tone by using the front controls, in comparison to my 5150, where I can turn the controls from 1-10 and hear little difference. I can't get really heavy distortion, but that is where the lil stomp box comes in ;-) The clean channel could be a little cleaner, but all I do is go into position 2 and 4 on the 5 way selector, turn the volume down slightly and VOILA! Hope this helped ;-)
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-05-2003, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Hey Eddie, thanks man... I really wish there was a Carvin dealership around here so i could get my hands on one myself, but it sounds like it's flexible enough to at least get me in the right ballpark...

Tonally, what does it remind you of most? If that's the sort of question that you can even answer... you know, "Well, it sounds like a Legacy more than anything else" or soemthing... lol.

Thanks for the input, anyway.

-Drew
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-05-2003, 06:45 PM
EKG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew
Tonally, what does it remind you of most? If that's the sort of question that you can even answer... you know, "Well, it sounds like a Legacy more than anything else" or soemthing... lol.
That's a tough question....hmmmm....

Lately, I've been playing my PGM300 through it and I can get a really good tone with the Tone Zones...believe it or not, but it gets a nice "brown" sound. When I play my PGM500, I can get a good Zakk tone out of it since I have heavy gauge strings on it. When I play my JEMDBK, all I can say is "FRANK" from Ultra Zone. Switch to position 2 on the DBK, clean channel on the Legacy, and you have the intro to "ANSWERS" from PAW. As you can tell, a very versatile amp. The most bang for your buck. One thing to take into consideration is I replaced the stock tubes with JJ's and it made a big difference. No matter what guitar I play through it, I get the squeals and harmonics (which I really like!) ;-)
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-07-2003, 04:16 PM

A friend bought a week ago a second hand legacy...the lucky bastard
The problem is you could only buy one online. Everyone knows the typical ultrazone guitartone. That is the legacy. But how will this animal sound with your hands??
Next week or so, I will go out to this guy and try the legacy. I am looking foreward and if it is realy a dream, I think I will buy some legacy someday and sell my marshallstuff.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-07-2003, 11:51 PM

Eddie,

I am a Legacy owner as well, but I am a complete novice about tubes and proper care of tube amps (The legacy is my first). I got my legacy used off of ebay. The reverb doesn't work. I just noticed today that it is kind of scratchy as I turn the volume knob up and at low volumes the amp seems to swell.

Are the tubes just dead? Can I buy tubes and install them myself? Do I need to send the amp out to a repair guy to 'bias' them or can the legacy take care of that itself (i noticed the switch on the back for that..) I'd like to try the JJ's you've mentioned. What do I look for when shopping for tubes?

Also, what do you think of the Hotplate? I will probably be picking one of for apartment use at decent volumes. I'm a line 6 guy at heart, but I'm really trying to give this tube thing a chance!
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-08-2003, 12:10 AM

Tube amps can be tricky so unless you are a confident tinkerer, based on what you are describing I would have a tech look it over and get it up to snuff. A one hundred watt tube amp can store some serious voltages (4-500 in some cases) which can kill you. You won't do that just biasing an amp, but just don't go tearing into the guts of thingsand poking around for kicks.

For all the tube information you can digest go to www.thetubestore.com
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-08-2003, 01:44 AM

Thanks Gretch,

I just bought 2 sets of Tesla EL34's, a set of Electro-Harmonix 12AX7EH's, and a Hot Plate... did I do okay?

Hopefully the reverb not working is just a dead tube. The amp still sounds great though, so even if the reverb never works, that's fine with me.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-08-2003, 04:56 PM
EKG

Gresh is right! Be careful.

I just selected the EL34 BIAS on the back since it was set for the 6L6's. Everything is working great!

Make sure you are using the CORRECT IMPEDANCE HOTPLATE! This would be the ohm setting. Using the Hotplate may wear the tubes a little faster, although, I haven't noticed it yet, but it sure is worth it...you can crank the amp and get the true tone of driven tubes at a low volume ;-)
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-08-2003, 07:03 PM

Actuallly, I have a question about the hotplate. I got the 8ohm verision because I run the legacy out into a 2x12 cab. If I add a second cab in the future and plug it into the 2nd speaker output on the hotplate, doesn't this change the load that's going to my cabs from 8ohms to 16ohms? Is it okay to do this or do i have to have two seperate hotplates? One for 1 cab and another for 2 cabs.

Thanks,
Dave
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-08-2003, 10:57 PM
EKG

I think the 2 speaker output jacks on the back of the Hotplate are 8 ohms each. It should work if the 2 seperate cabs are 8 ohms each, as well. Make sure your Legacy is set at 8, too ;-)
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-11-2003, 01:14 PM

My Legacy had a kind of low-mid strong tone to it. If you dig the scooped-mid sound you will have to work a lot harder at the settings on the legacy. By itself, the amp also falls a little short on the high-gain thing.

I recorded "jibbob" with my Legacy into a 2 X 12 cab, miced with a large condenser mic. I used a boss EQ pedal to push the gain up just a little. I used very little EQ on mixdown, so what you hear is very much like what you hear in the room when you're playing.

You can download it, if you want, from my music page. http://www.bobsbus.com/music.html Its at the bottom of the page.

"Oakman-Track 01" is also the Legacy, with more reverb.

I'm thinking of trading something to the guy I sold it to, so I can get it back. Between it, my Marshall and the Rivera, I'd have all the tone variety I need.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-11-2003, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Bob, first off, your playing smokes, man... incredible work.

Second, this is exactly what i was looking for- a Legacy being put through its paces in a pretty neutral (i.e- not heavily processed) environment. And it's a GREAT tone... just not quite what i'm lookign for, i think.

Listening to some of the other stuff you've got there... the outro on #3 is gorgeous, man, and you get some great tones during the earlier bit- there's one really satch-7 legato run that jumped out at me in particular. And#4 probably has my favorite tones so far... i'm guessing this is the marshall? Really bluesy but still heavy...

What model Marshall and Rivera do you use, anyway? I've been seriously tempted by vwall's TSL, and am leaning that way... any thoughts? Thanks,

-Drew
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-11-2003, 02:24 PM

Bob, your music is awesome! Your production skills are mind blowing. I'm afraid to think about what you would do if you had enough 'spare' time. Incase you don't remember, I sold you the legacy head a couple years ago. I've just picked up another one to give it a second chance.

At first I was a little disappointed with the 2nd one... but things are improving. I got my tubes and my Hotplate today. Wow, it's like night and day. The hotplate is awesome... and it really puts out a lot of heat, which is okay on these cold New England mornings! To answer my own question above, if I want to run a second speaker cab, I would need to get a second 4ohm hotplate. One cab is plenty for now, so no worries.

The tubes sound great, and I opted to just pop them in myself. I may take it to a tech later to have it fine tuned, but initial impressions are good. Reverb still isn't working though... I was hoping it was just a bad preamp tube. Anyway, thanks to Gresh and Eddie for the advice! I'm very happy with my amp. So are the neighbors, thanks to the hotplate.

Tags
condenser mic , gauge strings , heavy gauge strings , les paul , mesa mark , power amp , preamp tube , rivera tbr , speaker cab , stomp box , thd hotplate , tone zone , tube amp , tube amps , versatile amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode